Anonymous
It is correct that the acceptance of the offer letter does not create a legal compulsion on the candidate to join the organization.
As a recruiter myself, I can understand the frustration when my shortlisted candidate does not join on the joining date.
- Candidate accepts my offer letter
- We stop conducting interviews
- After 3 weeks, the candidate stops answering calls, or informs that he has joined another company.

We have been using AJO Platform (www.AcceptJobOffer.com) to give offer letters to our candidates.

The candidate accepts our offer letter on AJO. In case of backouts, we do post negative feedback on the candidate's profile.
This is really helping since the serious candidates are informing us earlier if they are not joining us. We are not getting last minute nasty surprises.

From India, Pune
kiran-dhanak
The way market pendulum have shifted to customer driven from product driven, it has been followed in services sector as well.
And IT sector is worst affected by this shift. Even if you are able to evaluate an individual with all the skills you got in your pocket ( psychometric, personal calls/followups etc etc) and you match the right expectation too for him/here still they do not join, just because some company offered more then you gave.
The new thing which candidates are coming up with is, they have started asking for hike over and above the offer which they are supposed to get in future. Also this Hike will be 30-40%.
Learning the market shift..

From India, Mumbai
hremprel

There has already been a good amount of discussion and perspectives on the subject.
It is a fact that employers use their discretion to make a choice of a candidate and offer, as well as the candidate also uses her / his discretion choose the company that s/he want to work with.
There are some candidates who are very professional and state upfront that they have a choice or choices and not take up an offer. There could a few who do not act with the high level of professionalism but take a view after accepting an offer and worse don't inform that they will not join. Candidates in the market also speak of some professional organisations and also of non- professional approaches by some organisations. That's the reality. Now given this reality what needs to be done?
My view:
1. Our selection process will need to be robust enough for us to judge the probability that the candidate will join. Where it is in doubt, either don't offer or if you offer, double-up the checks and follow ups to ensure that joining is on track. In cases of doubt it will be better to have a back up candidate so that we are not caught by surprise at the last minute.
2. Your employer brand matters. How will joining you impact the candidate's own brand and how rejection of your offer could be a loss for the candidate? This should be communicated in a positive manner (never as a threat) to the candidate.
3. Network with Hiring professionals from your industry. Share factual information on people who act unprofessional. This information should be dealt very professionally. It should be such that you should be able to support with evidence in case candidate chooses to challenge your allegation that s/he acted unprofessional.

From India, Pune
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.