numerouno

I am curentlyworkingon a project to develop a Disability Action Plan for a South Australian Government Department. All government departments are required to addres 5 key outcomes, these being;
  • 1. Portfolios and their agencies ensure accessibility to their services to people with disabilities

2. Portfolios and their agencies ensure information about their services and programs is inclusive of people with disabilities

3. Portfolios and their agencies deliver advice or services to people with disabilities with awareness & understanding of issues affecting people with disabilities

4. Portfolios and their agencies provide opportunities for consultation with people with disabilities in decision making processes regarding service delivery and in the implementation of complaints and grievance mechanisms

5. Each Portfolio Chief Executive will ensure that their portfolio has met the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 and the Equal Opportunity Act 1994.

Diversity is well and truly on the agenda in South Australia, but disability access is lagging somewhat. There is a focus on physical access issues (e.g. wheelchair access) and an increasing awareness of web accessibility (visual and impairment) and some awareness of hearing impairment.

What is not so evident is attention to areas such as mental disability, psychological disorder, effects of aging (we have an aging population - average age late 30's, average workforce age 46).

I'd be interested in people's comments on the kinds of issues they think are important to take into account when looking at a disability access plan. I'd also love to hear any anecdotes or experiences that I can use to support a range of strategies in the plan.

PROGRESS ENTERPRISE

<link outdated-removed>

From Australia, Ballarat
sabi77
Hi numerouno:
It's wonderful to work on such a project. You rightly said that mental disability etc are not really taken into account when disability is discussed.
I have no idea of how people with mental disability are treated in Australia but here in India I have read many articles on mentally handicap abuse. Leave alone their access to comforts / help, but they are abused by keeping them chained, couped in dark rooms or sexually abused.
Is it possible for you to think on these lines and advise suggestions in your project ?
sabi

From India, Bharat
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.