sreenivasan

Here are some inputs on body language that I thought would be of great

help

to all our members in their day-to-day life, personally and

professionally.

What you say is important, but, What you do is very very important. It

has

been researched that your body does not lie. Most commonly used body

gestures and their meaning. I believe they would be of help to you.

Arms crossed over chest - Defensiveness or anxiety

Swinging arm - Want to walk away from a situation

Eye blinking - Fast blinking signals stress

Downward gaze - Feeling defeated

Taking notes - Shows interest or involvement

Hand over mouth - Can mean boredom

Arms behind head and leaning back - Looking for power or control

Unbuttoning coat - Openness

Buttoning coat - Feels trapped and wants to leave

Standing with hands behind back - Confidence

Clearing throat - Nervousness

Rubbing back of neck - Defensiveness

Hands flat on table - Ready to agree

Stroking chin - Evaluating or thinking

Foot tapping - Impatience

Rubbing the eye - Doubt or disbelief

Rubbing hands - Anticipation

Tilted head - Interest

Pulling / tugging ear - Indecision

From India, Vadodara
rishabhshah

Leaning in and talking = eagerness Too much movement of eyes = lack of confidence and uncertainty; inability to concentrate.
From India, Mumbai
sunayna

hi sree...cant this also mean some particle in the eye?
nice ones...... will keep thm in mind
i got a few
closing the book as sooon as the prof stops talkin - boring lec & eagerness to go :)
not maintainig eye contact - has other things on mind
maintains same posture as urs - agrees on the situation

From India, Mumbai
sreenivasan

hi sunayna and rishab,
i think it is good addition to to the article points... but if you talk aboutstudent the body language study doesnot suits...
like some thing which i have seen in my college
first like people seeing the prof lecture with out blinking eyes then they are sleepin with open eyes..
then students claping like anything after a talk or presentation that means to go out first and leave us or some time good one also...
so like this many are there to say and to laugh also

From India, Vadodara
rishabhshah

hey sreenivasan,
You're right... some things don't apply to college students. But overall, its a fun thing to study.
Different people have different ways of expressing - like in some hindi movies, everytime the person lies, he winks his eyes.
I had a friend who's ears would turn red everytime he wasn't sure of an answer - not body language exactly, but a non verbal signal to understand people. :)

From India, Mumbai
sreenivasan

hi rishab,
ya when you tell evn my enineern days to present mba day is comin wth lot of fun tyhnks.... but even body langugage cannot be relied fully since.. some person may be having th habbit of talking by seeing sky and talk or seein the ground talk.... since that help them for fre flow.. that is their nature... but it is said as bein confidence less in body lanugage.. but fo thm they are talkng wth confidence..
some tme donot reply mor on that
bye

From India, Vadodara
sunayna

hey sree and rishabh do explain how arent students who become managers? hihih.....funny. r prof said we shd take notes to keeep ourselves busy...n not sleep with open eyes :)
From India, Mumbai
sreenivasan

hi sunayna and rishab,
generall itself i donot think body langugae has more standardisation.. that what ever they tell may go out wrong with few people.. thn in students if they tell claping shows u r interested then it may prove wron.. like that in students....
ya students are future managers... there is no doubt in it..
but i have a view that not all successful managers have same body langugage.. naa... that is wat i mean to target...
so just that

From India, Vadodara
Ajmal Mirza

Hi Sreenivasan
Body language is the one which is universal... So to some extent we can standardise the same... And it has been proved through various studies...
We in Sales class were taught the body language, I have been actively practicing it. It is quite effective.
Further, as of clapping: It has two meanings
1. They are genuenly clapping
2. Forced to because of the lecturer / Faculty
3. Want you to get of the stage...
And in all the three cases, you can not only hear the difference in the clapping, but also their facial expression and the force they are utilizing for clapping... Even a dumb person can make out the difference.

From India, Ahmadabad
sunayna

If there is one thing that always encourages sharing, it is giving either verbal or body language feedback.

Here are some helpful suggestions to show that you are absorbing what another is saying:

* React physically. Turn toward the person. Lean forward. Nod your head in response. Keep looking the person in the eyes. Nothing shows greater interest than eye contact.

* Request more information. Ask a question that seeks clarification or additional details. In asking questions you are saying, "Tell me more--I'm interested."

* Reflect on what has been said with a leading statement. "That must have been rough on you." Reflective listening pays off in more intimate sharing.

* Repeat or rephrase statements with feeling. Echoing the meaning or feeling of a statement both clarifies and encourages further communication.

* Remain silent when someone is telling a story. Don't interrupt, and don't finish sentences for people. Also, don't rush to fill a pause in the conversation simply to avoid the silence--you may cut off something important the person was preparing to share.

* Refrain from concentrating on your answer or rebuttal while another is still talking--it makes you impatient to speak. When you are constantly constructing a rebuttal or a way to justify something you've said, you are merely building up a defense mechanism. As a result you are not truly listening.

* Express your encouragement and appreciation for what the other person has been sharing. Both of these enhance healthy communication.

Remember that your ear can open the door to another's heart, so don't close it. Believe me, if you work on being a better listener, it will pay off.

Josh McDowell (The Secret of Loving)

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.