samvedan

Hello,

This is what I had adviced in another thread. In case you have not readt it I am quoting!

"My advice is to look for an organization where culturally HR is an established and accepted function.

The sharpen your focus to seek a position to work under an experienced, knowledgeable superior who will take you under his wings as it were and it is in this manner you will have a lot if opportunities to learn the trade in real sense. A few years like this and you will be ready to fly solo in this profession.

To achieve this do not worry too much if you have to take some beating on the remuneration aspect (if you have to but within reason.) I am saying this as I see your keenness in being a good HR. But for heaven's sake do NOT be tempted with opportunities as head of the function even in a small firm. It seems you are not ready to play the top role as yet!"

Now how to look for such an organization is the question!

Remenber, when you are being interviewed, you should also be interviewing the interviewer without seeming to be doing so! During the company find more and more about company culture, its HR practices andits history in interpersonal relationships, extent of free communication possibilities and the like.

While you could get some information from the company's website, it would be more gainful to make innocent, casual enquiries in the profession with seniors, placement agencies and the best would be the professional association. All these you have to handle with extreme care and skill, but it cab be done.

And finally you of course send a PM to professionals you would trust or take up the matter on the message board,if you like!

I suppose this approach will be helpful!

Cheer up, every day is a new day and it brings with itself new opportunities!!

Regards

samvedan

June 4, 2011

-------------------

From India, Pune
Paul Preeti

Hi,
Thank you for keeping in mind my case.
I really appreciate it.
Recently I had been interviewed by someone who was hiring for HR Executive, keeping in mind that the organization was in the same industry,I went for the interview.
I asked the interviewer, the HR Manager, what is the vision and mission of the company?r
The HR person thought perhaps I might be speaking bookish, but when clarified, I told him that i wanted to know what does the organization want to be and what core values it has and how is it different from other companies,His reply was that the company wants to earn more and more profits.
I was shocked to hear that, but i knew it was something of the same kind where i am stuck, no leadership roles and no scope of growth.
Someone had said it so true, you learn through your experiences.
Kindly let me know if you come across any job opening in Delhi/NCR.
Would be grateful.

From India, Lucknow
samvedan

Hello,

I was undecided-whether to respond to your latest post or to give it go by (for the reason that you may feel I am nitpicking!) But better sense prevailed and it prompts me to respond!!

This is about your experience of the recent interview. I think this interview has exposed a harsh reality of HR function to you. Painful it may sound, the truth is that many of us simply use good words but conceptually are pathetic. When it comes to implementation, we are even more pathetic!!!

As HR we demand significant involvement in all that happens in the organization but forget that the involvement is not granted by demanding but by proving and that requires TIME and PERFORMANCE.

It is inevitable in majority of cases that we have to enter unacceptable reality and by skillful conduct and performance transform unacceptable reality into the reality we dream of or have learnt about in the books and institutions.

If you have actually used the words during the interview, in your post, I am afraid the interview may have got a complex, may have realised his own inadequacy and the interview may have taken a wrong turn. If an interview feels "insecure", he is unlikely to select the candidates-another reality of our professional life. Very few possess the art of interviewing, fewer have the courage to select a candidate who appears better equipped that themselves professionally. For such reasons, the candidate has to be selective about the words to use, tactful enough to not let the interview be reminded of his own limitations and yet win the interview and get selected. After entry in to the organization you meet more diverse set of people with many of whom one could relate. That is where and how one may initiate a process of change.

I am indeed sorry to be sermonising but I really have a lot to say on these subjects, having lived professionally life FULLY!

As usual you are free to interact.

Finally, I wish I could be of help in securing employment for you in your area, but I operate out of PUNE-Maharashtra and have no consultancy work up north! On the message board we will continue to interact, if you find it worthwhile.

Regards
samvedan
June 8, 2011
-----------------------------------------------------

From India, Pune
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.