s.shweta_6
Here neither Raman is at fault nor the Management, there is a huge communication gap and there was a confusion between the situation, as Raman was suddenly asked to resume back office duty, where his state of mind got relaxed at the same time his family members got in critical situation due to which he forgot to take his basic responsibility towards the company. And where he missed to inform this to his Sr. authority.
Also, this is a pure example of Human Behavior and Human Psychology, where the company should also keep the counselling sessions on this, which can help these type of employees to manage and keep apart both the family and company duties at their respective places.

From India, Mumbai
satish_kartha
Agree with most of the comments.
(a) SMS is no formal means of communication
(b) Raman had every reason to call and inform the superiors. Things would have not
been so worse for him even if he reached late for the field duty, than just sending a
sorry message
(c) Even if Raman was provided an opportunity to explain his side of the story, the
Management would be seldom interested because the damage was already done.
Sometimes a 2 year loyalty might seem too small when compared to one negative perception the Management develops against the employee. And in this case, I believe Raman created room for such a perception to be developed.
My views only.

From India, Bangalore
alagarsaami

My view is
(a) SMS is no formal means of communication and management should ensure his availability. He is not a army soldier to obey the order ,
(b) Raman sending a sorry message to superior is his major mistake. He should send the message clearly .
(c) Even if Raman was provided an opportunity to explain his side of the story, the Management would be seldom interested because the damage was already done.
d) Atleast raman section head should understand his problem and support positive way .
And in this case,
01. Management made a mistake to use SMS is the official communication and before allotment of work his availability must checked by his department head
02. Raman must explain briefly over phone for his position and reply clearly .But he failed to do so .
03. Lack of leadership and lack of planning in the organisation
04. Clear Policy is not available

From India, Madras
sharmaneesu

Hi all,
SMS is not a desired way of coomunication in such a scenario. what if msg didnt reach to the recipient. how u will claim that. and that too when u got to know that its already too late to work according to order.
reaction to such scenario vary from case to case. As rightly said above its a clear cut case of organisational issues and communication gap. how appropriate is to give order through sms. why boss didnt call to Raman? if we are assigning some task on short notice or late night, urgency of work can be feel. boss should not inform thru sms in such a case.
my views only..
comments are welcomed..

From India, New Delhi
Dhanuindian
Hi All,

Firstly, the case is not drafted properly as it makes lot of confusion in understanding the concept and job profile as well.

if comes to the case, as it mentioned, the assigned work is on temparary and does not require proper way of communication to the person. oral communication would do for it and it seems more over internal adjustments or mutual understanding or help between the HODs. Other hand, as before he was on the field job and shifted to in house work, due to lacking of manpower to complete the job, the other dept. of HOD might use his exp. to complete the job.

As mentioned,he completed his first assignment for other dept. and came back to his normal duties, again the other dept,head has to take Raman's HOD's permission to assign the job to him. or As soon as he received the SMS about his field job, he could have contacted his HOD or reporting authority about the same.

I do not think so, here the communication throgh SMS of the job would not be a problem as he does not have other mode of communication falicities except the useage of mobile phone. Being the odd timing, the job assigning through SMS is acceptable and the sender might have got the delivery confirmation for his SMS and under te impression that has communicated.

Here problem is that all about the message sent by Raman stating that SORRY Sir, not for neither attending that work lately nor responsiding. If we can see in the case, if i am not worng, though he attended lately, before the same work has assigned to other person based on his SMS.

The problem is with the HOD or senior manager's perception of the message. Raman's intention was to convey massage that he had delayed to attend for the work due to so many reasons (Like his personal family matters or traffic etc). But, the SMS sounds to the senior person as Raman did not obey his senior's instruction or denied to do or might think that how he dared enough to say NO etc,,,.

I can not be able to see any damage here as that work was attended by the other person.

Hence,

1) the problem lies with the senior person, who can not be able to understand the SMS and assumed it in other way inspite of his assosiation with Raman and his nature of personality.

2) Being a senior person, he should allow him to explain about the delay or can ask the explanation on the sms sent openly, before the conclution.

3) His job is into field work, hence, we can understand his education and communication skills. We can not expect more proper way of communication. As per his standards, he is ok and does not have fault with him.

4) The manager has to go under developmental programs as his personalities like attitude, perception, management skills, handling team, communication etc to be changed and he took his power or authorities as granted to humiliate others who is lower cadre to him.

Thanks,

Regards,

Dhananjay

From India, Bangalore
derek_dgomes@yahoo.com

There should be proper system and process to inform an employee about change in duties and responsibility just by droping in an SMS will not make any sense. Raman reporting manager should have given him a call and dowloaded the entire scenario and explaining him the reasons why he had to go to field for the job. When it's comes to job assisgnment sms communication will not do we need to communicate through email or verbally for the same.
From India, Mumbai
imransamasama
It is definetely a fault of the his boss who is sending him sms after an office hours, inspite it was not his Resposibility he help the organisation and get the fuss only what if raman has given excuse on very first when he was told to attend the additional responsibilites.
Definetely raman would not have to face this much stress.

From India, Mumbai
tiwari.shila
Hi, i’m totally agreed with mbreddy. Both (employee- employer) are in fault. one should had to take initiative to clear the situation.
From India, Ahmadabad
sunil malkany
Leadership is a hotly debated topic and one key charachteristic of leaders is "EMPATHY" which I believe is missing/ lacking in this organization's leadership.
P.S. One of the key actions in EMPATHY is to listen
Cheers!!!

From India, Thana
Vaidehirasal

Hi,
I think Raman should try to communicate with his boss and tell him the actual scenario. As from boss's perspective it's wrong if anyone sends the sms saying "sorry sir" it means he is denying for the order given by him. so boss's anger is absolutly normal. hence Raman has to communicate with his boss and take him in confidance.

From India, Thana
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.