No Tags Found!

BHAANU
hi Rajat,
I completly agree with you n the way you explained the whole thing was great...! I have joined as an HR executive & it's been 8 months now but its always been very helpful to read your views on every & any article.....good job!
thanx again for ur inputs.....
bye
Anubha

Atomleaf

Hi all,
Varied views. very informative. like to add sometning favouring Soumya's post. very recently i was readin an article on Telecommuting and i have posted here couple of days before. very sadly no replies, very few views also. guys its always good to accept new things and encourage , so that many would continue posting new articles instead of grinding same old topics. ok bac to Telecommuting, its nothing but the remote working of an employee in home or out of office instead of travelling to office everyday. as Soumya said providing the necessary hardware and net connection at home for women in maternity/marriage, etc. would be the best solution for not discrimnating women and ultimately the workdone.
Suggestions please
Regards
:D :D :D

From India, Madras
Balacdm
Dear Sowmya
I fully agree with your views & appreciate the steps your company has taken. As a HR professional we have to see the ways and means to retain the employee irrespective of the Gender. I know (don't want to mention the name) a company at Chennai who have done in the same style. Now a days, lot of housewifes are started doing this kind of job in BPO sector and if we appreciate the same in IT sector, then we can retain the emplyoees. Moreover it will be little difficult to convince the Top Mgt. and sometime it will reflect on us(HR) too but consistently we have to putforth our views.
Good topic & discussion.
Bye :)

From India, Madras
sonu123
Hi,
It's really good you did at your work.
I think in the interview process both sides should have transparent discussion, this will enable to plan for future goals of the company as well as personal goals of individuals
thanks.
shravan

From United Kingdom, London
murali_vethi
Hi Rajat,
"Apprication",
Thanks for the wonderful though on the subject.
But, as of I have been come across my work experience, Most of the organisation have the matenit/marriage leaves as of under Govt. Act. I belive these only for a small sector which may face these kind of problems.
Murali

Raaj
Hi Rajat,
That was a good read!
Just a few thoughts to add on.. we have found in our organisation having a healthy ratio of women brings about a certain degree of professionalism and a cultured approach to business. (As my ex-boss used to say "You want to make the work environment more cultured, bring in more women")
Also, our analysis show their loyalty & motivation levels are much higher. Women leave usually for marriage/maternity reasons and rarely for money/career. It is pretty rare to see a women put in her papers without giving it an honest shot and before at least a 6 month period is up.
My point is this.. If one were to recruit 2 candidates of similar ages but of the opposite sex, in the absence of personal incumberances, the lady has double the chance of staying and succeeding.
So what are we saying that hiring women increases attrition?
Cheers,
Raaj

From India, Bangalore
anupamdutt
Dear Nupur, The issue is very general and what you have mentioned is indeed is very essential . Anupam Senior Consultant- Executive Search

Noel
Dear All,

This is indeed a very interesting article.

My HR education has been Australian based, so I am in total agreement with the EEO that there cannot be biases in selection of job unless its in direct conflict with the job requirements, like selecting a 80 year old women to play the role of a 16 year old teenager, no matter what the 80 year old experience has. :wink: I am saying this because what I want to share may appear to be in total disagreement.

This is also another part of HR that stinks to the bone. I lift my hats to some of your company that is willing to increase the company cost to accomodate members who are in maternity and to make backups to facilitate his/her absence.

Many company's is facing uncertainty, and a majority of companies are unable to take on such burden. I have came across Managers commenting I would love to take her on, but I cannot take the risk of her being absent and increase cost just for her replacement when I can remove this risk by hiring someone more reliable.

Especially in times like this, when we cannot afford any form of disruption to operations or efficiency. Will Managers and HR professional safely say we must strictly observe EEO standards. More so in corporate companies, where its politics are equal to any Parliments seating.

Sometimes, HR practitioners are asked to hire comforming people and second best candidates all because they stay longer. How do we proceed? With such culture, even if we bring in the Top applicants, can they stay long? or will it be a self fulfilling prochecy.

I totally agree, times must change and see women as assets to be invested in. The question, are companies in Asia ready to invest. We are still stuck in a paradigm where Women are needed as Homemakers.

Just a thought.

Regards

From Malaysia, Johor Bahru
anilanand

Dear Priyanka

I have gone through the view of all members. It seems that we have developed an inclination towards the females.In some countries it is protected by law of the land that you can not raise question on gender. In other countries laws are there to protect and provide benefits to females especially in case of maternity. I agree this inclination is not a baseless matter. Lots and lots of matters are dependent on females. Without male or female this universe is not going to survive. Both are equally important.

But when it comes the employer employee relationship, i have seen even female employer's do consider this aspect of long term relationship without break. It is natural.Normally a female get married within a particular age span and if , HR considers this and do make a gender bias , we should not take this otherwise.

Male or female may leave organisation any time but when you are almost certain that a female is in that particular age span where marriage is going to be on cards and further she is not sure of her future palce of stay, then there is no fun of recruiting a female for shorter period. You have to do the same recruitment excercise again, if , you ignore the above factor. There exists very less number of cases , where female , after her marriage , have decided to continue job at same place , while her husband stay at a distant place and they meet either on weekly or fortnightly or monthly basis. How many females stay alone after marriage and respect their career first only a limited number. In cases of marriage females play a very important role with respect to their career and for her organisation. But how many ? answer is limited.

Number of cases are on records that females misuse the legal protection given to them under law of the land. Most of the female who avail maternity leave generally extend the same on ground of medical reasons or either baby is small and needs more time or there is no one in family who can take care. In such cases it is nothing but the natural motherhood stinct is playing a bigger role than career. 10-15% of cases are genuinely on medical grounds but rest are without any logical reasons.

Under these circumstances what will be the position of employer. Alternates are avialble but only for long term. How many females opt for vacancy created against maternity leave of female employee i.e a short term employment ? No one can make any one career consicous except him/her self. Most of the employers have accepted the legal parameters but what happen to business if the facility provided under the law is misused.

If a female is career conscious job protection takes a second stage. Employers do under stand all role of female in our society.

HR while considering such cases have to acess the mind behind the female leaving the job and opting again for the new job.

I have seen young females leaving jobs even more than 45 days ahead of their marriage and also females joining duty after 15-20 days of marriage.

Believe me 90-95% of females extend their maternity leave and also want job security.

I am sure the females will never like such remarks but to an inner extent they also realise the factual position behind the above.

I strongly believe that HR has to play a bigger role in justifying their steps in such cases both to female candidates as well as to their employers.

How many of us agree to this ?

Regards

Anil Anand

From India, New Delhi
RakhiD

Hello All,
This is really very imp issue raised. By the way, I am Rakhi and new to this place. I am working as HR manager in a medium sized IT company.
I have come across this issue very recently; we selected a candidate really competent for the post. She is kept on hold just coz she has a 3 year old son and Management feels it will be a block in her performance.
Rajat and Priyanka have really put up things very properly, we as HR need to have this awareness and moreover believe in the selection / decision we take when we recommend any such case. There are many girls / ladies who are out of the marraige-child-settelment cycle and are looking very seriously at their careers, we need to realize and appreciate this.
It was really nice reading your thoughts; this is probably the most active and professionally serious place I have come across on the web.
Nice joining you
Regards
Rakhi

From India, Pune
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.