Sindhu N R

Sardarji, Barah baj gaye!
I was standing at Jalandhar station when my attention was drawn towards a Sikh youth standing near me wearing a Black turban, sporting a long beard and wearing a kirpan (knife) over his shirt.

After a while, one local train arrived, totally packed. The Sikh youth tried to board the train but failed to do so.Just then a voice was heard from the back coach 'Sardarji Baran Baj gaye' (Sir it's 12 o'clock!).

The Sikh youth looked over at the speaker (who was a young person) and instead of showing any anger, smiled at him.

The smile was so enigmatic that it seemed as if there was some hidden truth behind it. Not able to hide my curiosity, I walked towards him and asked why he smiled at the person who teased him. The Sikh youth replied, 'He was not teasing me but was asking for my Help'. I was surprised with these words and he told me that there was history behind those words. I was eager to know what he was talking about and the Sikh youth narrated the following

During 17th Century, when Hindustan was ruled by Mughals, all the Hindu people were humiliated and were treated like animals. Mughals treated the Hindu women as there own property and were forcing all Hindus to accept Islam or face death. During this period our ninth Guru, Sri Guru Teg Bahadarji came forward, in response to a request of some Kashmir Pandits to fight against these cruel activities. So our Guruji went to the Mughal emperor and told him that if he succeeded in converting him to Islam, he would ensure that all the Hindus would accept the same. But, if he failed, he should stop all these atrocities. The Mughal emperor happily agreed to that but even after lots of torture to Guruji and his fellow members he failed to convert him to Islam and Guruji along with his other four fellows were tortured and sacrificed their lives in Chandni Chowk.

Since the Mughals were unable to convert them to Islam they were assassinated. Thus our ninth Guruji sacrificed his life for the protection of the Hindu religion. In history, can you show me any instances of anybody laying down his life for the protection of another religion?

This is the reason he is still remembered as "Hind Ki Chaddar", shield of India. The people for whose sake he had sacrificed his life did not have the guts to came forward to lift his body, fearing that they too would also be assassinated. Seeing this incident our 10th Guruji, Sri Guru Gobind Singhji (Son of Guru Teg Bahadarji) founder of Khalsa (the Pure) made a resolution that he would convert his followers to such human beings who would not be able to hide themselves and could be easily identified.

At the start, the Sikhs were very few in numbers as they were fighting against the Mughal emperors. At that time, Nadir Shah raided Delhi in the year 1739 and looted Hindustan and was carrying lot of Hindustan treasures and nearly 2200 Hindu women along with him. The news spread like a fire and was heard by Sardar Jassa Singh who was the Commander of the Sikh army at that time. He decided to attack Nadir Shah's Kafila on the same midnight. He did so and rescued all the Hindu women and they were safely sent to their homes.

It didn't happen only once but thereafter whenever any Abdaalis or Iranis had attacked and looted Hindustan and were trying to carry the treasures and Hindu women along with them for selling them in Abdal markets, the Sikh army (although fewer in numbers) attacked them at midnight, 12 O'clock and rescued all the women.

After that time when there was a need, people started to contact the Sikh army for their help and the Sikhs used to attack the raiders at Midnight, 12 O'clock.

Nowadays, these "smart people" have spread these words that at 12 O'clock, the Sikhs go out of their senses.

This historic fact was the reason which made me smile over that person as little did he realize that he was asking for my help saying 'Sardarji Baran Baj Gaye' and it meant that his Mother, Sister, Wife or Daughter was in trouble!

"Its easy to joke about a Sardar, but It's tough to be a Sardar"...

From India, Kochi
nashbramhall

Dear Sindhu
Thank you for giving a different version to the one I had come to know. This shows why Sardarjis or so tough. But for the likes of them we would not have a secular India.
Have a lovely day.
Simhan

From United Kingdom
riah1507

Sindhu ji,
Really nice real story, I never knew all this.
Its really bad that few extra-smart ppl make fun of this, but I personally have experienced that Sikh ppl are the most helpful ppl in d world, they have no ego, no attitude, they are ready to help any1 anytime.
Gurudwara Banglasaheb is a true example.
I have seen ppl coming in Mercedes and expensive cars and brooming & moping the floors of Gurudwara. They have a very strong Seva-Bhawna.
This is for all the Sardars.
You are great guys !!!!
God Bless you all.

From India, Delhi
skgiridhar

Dear Sindhu,
Its really nice that you have posted this on citehr so that the real facts of history to be known to all. People today have forgotten the history and moving toward mechanism.
And another one thing i would like to add in this.
THERE ARE A LOT OF BEGGARS IN THIS WORLD FROM ALL CASTES AND RELIGIONS BUT SURPRISING CAN ANYONE FIND ONE SARDAR BEGGAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NEVER ONE CAN FIND.
THIS SHOWS ABOUT SARDARS AND THEIR INTEGRITY TOWARDS OTHERS ABOUT SOME ASPECTS.
There is a saying like if u take a rupee and want to give to a beggar you will find a lot but you will never find a sardar beggar.
Let us all share the knowledge not only on sardars but also on other facts of our richest indian history which reflects to our way of life.
God bless all

From India, Secunderabad
nm2004hr
Sindhuji....I am impressed the way you teach us about all this so simply.
I agreed with all the facts & points you mentioned. I am a hindu punjabi...and I am very much impressed with the “Kurbani” the SIKH GURUJI has given for all communities.
Thanks & Regards
NM.

From India, New Delhi
Pankaj._.Thakur
Really appreciate the sentiments behind the story...
Thanks a lot to enlighten us with this fact as even such things are not mentioned in our history.
Keep posting such interesting and knowledgeable facts and stories.
Regards
Pankaj

From India, Mumbai
tajsateesh

Hello Sindhu,

It's nice of you to bring this true story to life at this point.

I am not sure if this is just a coincidence or a reminder from Providence thru you to all of us that despite what the verdict in the Babri case is on 30th Oct, 2010, let's retain our senses and always keep in mind the "concern for the other person".

There's another thing that many [if not most] non-sikhs don't realise/recognise in a sikh: their incredible sense of humour. Even though the 'barah baj gaye' anecdote has a true basis, there are umpteen number of stories about the 'sardarji' that definitely don't have a real background and quite a few of such stories border on the ridicule.

I don't think anyone from any other religion [WITHOUT EXCEPTION] can joke about themselves & their religion with such ease & nonchalance and then have a good laugh along with their audience.

I remember a quote here: people the world over will die for religion, kill for religion, hurt for religion, suffer for religion; everything & anything for religion--EXCEPT live for religion. Guess the one who quoted this didn't come across a sardarji--else he would have made an exception.

Rgds,

TS

From India, Hyderabad
harpreet_k24
Hi Sidhuji, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for bringing out our Rich heritage so beautifully.I feel proud to be a Sikh. Regards, HARPREET KAUR
From India, Lucknow
tahirnmps

Good Post sindhu jee...........................but cruels have no religion......... anyways a good post to make ppl known that its not fair to make a fun of sardars....
From Pakistan, Karachi
M S
Thank you for bringing out such enlightening facts. I believe that we must remember that various
religions at the core talk about oneness of humanity & advocation of human rights.
We can firmly visualise that none of the Avatars/Prophets/Gurus/Masters (if they were physically
present in today's times) would advocate making fun of any other religion.
God Bless All,
M S

From India, Lucknow
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.