No Tags Found!

Ashutosh Thakre

Dear Dineshji, Loved the word affective commitment. It really stresses the point to it finality. Regards, Ashutosh Thakre
From India, Mumbai
nathrao

Make your company a place to work in and grow-career,knowledge and money wise(all round growth).
Then very few employees would like to quit.
Tweaking employment rules to avoid people availing maternity benefits and then leaving will not help.
No employee will leave a company which is desirable and a happy place to work.

From India, Pune
Anonymous

I faced a similar problem in one of previous company. It was in terms of maternity leave. I was a HR Manager then. The top management, including the business heads literally arm twisted me to do things which were not in line with the Maternity benefit act. I got a legal opinion and passed it on to them and asked them for further guidance. They never reverted back. The issue was never raised again.

Similar thing happened for privilege leave. It is the duty of the management to allow annual leave. There used to be a mad rush towards new year time or during May, when summer holidays for kids used to start. The management wanted me to issue a circular stating that annual leave will not be allowed during New year or in the month to of May.

I came up with an alternative suggestion. Instead of depriving the leave, I came up with a departmental leave plan for availing annual leave. Each department was provided with a chart with the name of its employees. They had to mark the days of annual leave they would avail during the year. The department head would endorse and approve the leave chart. The HOD took the responsibility. And this has become a ritual till date. A few people who reschedule their leave, will have to swap those days with anyone who is willing. This has now become into a good planner for Employees to book their flight tickets and hotel bookings well in advance and avail of all major discounts. Emergency leaves were allowed on special or critical occasions. And what we found was that spinsters would hardly avail the annual leave. They saved it up to either encash it or avail it during their wedding. But, trying to enforce a bond of say, working for a year etc, is violative of the Indian laws and the company could attract penal provisions, if the circular reaches appropriate authorities.

I would suggest you to kindly get a legal opinion from a lawyer and give the opinion to the management. You can tell them that there seems to be a legal glitch and it's better to get a legal view before issuing the circular and the management themselves will either get it or will refer you to their lawyer.

From Indonesia, Jakarta
Anonymous

Dear Ashwini,
You may try /think to set up a creche facility within the office premises as a part of the policy decision. I believe it will help you to retain your woman staffs even after their marriage when they will see the facility available for them.

From India, Kolkata
Suraj Biswal

As far as the Indian culture, which is still a Man based culture, such type of activities are obvious, now due to western effect and through different types of women empowerment the culture has been changed drastically, but still the culture need to be matured enough, which will give the equal decision making power to women also as per to Man.

In the present scenario, as above we should go through the brainstorming session in the organization with majority of women employees, no doubt the women has to bear more responsibility after marriage and maternity. and leaves are obvious, but it can be reduced if organization also take a part in helping them to balance their personal as well as the organizational responsibility. if they could able to match up the gap between the prior and after the marriage or maternity repercussions sure they will not quit the job.

The process needs defining the problems behind and noting down through past experiences, analyzing it, and plan to fill the gaps you can also take the feedback from your existing women employees to chalk out the plan.

From India, Bhubaneswar
SAIBHAKTA

Dear Ashwini,
I have worked in a central PSU for more than three decades and seen many a women employees going on maternity leave , extending it thereafter by their accumulated leave or leave without pay.But seldom did any of them resign.However times have changed and private and public sector are two different stories ! My suggestion is, why not tie-up with a creche in the locality where the new mothers can keep their babies ? As an incentive the company may share a part of the expense.If their are three/four such ladies in office you may very well start a creche in the office premises under a trained person.

From India, New Delhi
nathrao

Maternity Benefits Act is indeed a welfare law which is required in India.
Now many companies are trying to give more facilities,longer leave to female employees to ensure better child care.
These two links are interesting;
Companies and maternity | Business Standard Editorials
Paid maternity leave: a working plan for mums - ET Blogs
The problem area in India is the unorganised sector which literally has no such social protection benefiting lady workers.

From India, Pune
rsm2680

Dear Ashwini

I discovered this discussion quite late but I have dealt with these queries for my clients so I think I can add some value to this discussion

Some of the participants have given very good suggestions on how to improve the overall work atmosphere in your organization and make it more career friendly. Things like tieup with crèches near workplace,work from home options, part time options, lateral positions within organizations need to be explored.

One point that you have misunderstood is the difference between maternity leave policy and Resignation /Exit policy.

Maternity Policy is a walfare policy that is absolutely needed in this country and is something that you need to implement for your employees .

But if an employee is leaving the organization without fulfilling the due Resignation/Exit policies and procedures .In other words without fulfilling the notice period then it amounts to breach of contract and you can take necessary action against them.

Leaving an organization without serving a notice period causes considerable financial loses to an organization and it is breach of contract between employee and employer and if an employee breaches this contract then you are within your legal right to initiate appropriate action.

Now what is the appropriate action ,That your management can decide.

So my suggestion to you is to make a Robust Exit Policy which protects the interests of your Organization and Minimizes Financial Losses

From India, Pune
asru.j

Dear Ashwini,
Further to my previous post I would like to add some thing more. We all know so many policies about employee development /welfare etc. Now my question is why setting up a creche will not be a part of so called welfare or employee development policy. You may find a sports room or a refreshment room in the offices where there is hardly any activity but when it is a question of a creche you will find people are not able to digest. You will find people are more concerned about the financial loses of a company but never bothered about the loss of Human resources. You will find people to suggest more tight exit policy( again in the name of policy) but not ready to implement the policy which is existing i.e. employee welfare. I think if you really want to reduce the female staffs turnover in your organization you need to think positive instead of be more robust.

From India, Kolkata
rsm2680

Dear Ashwini

I think some of the participants have not understood your question and some of the posts correctly and hence are forming an opinion that this is a query about Employee engagement Vs Financial health of the organization.

Your Querry was very clear you wanted suggestions on how your company can reduce Human resource Loss and Financial loss arising due to a certain condition.

Some participants like Nathro and Mr Divakar have given very good employee engagement & Welfare suggestions.

Employee Engagement activities are important aspect of employee welfare.They help in the overall health in the organization and every organization must implement it effectively.

Some participants have misunderstood suggestions on reducing Human resource Loss(Manpower loss) and Financial loss as being Anti Employee engagement.

These are 2 separate things . An HR has to be concerned about the Employee Engagement as much as about Manpower & Financial losses to their organization. Every concerned HR has to think of ways in reducing the Manpower Loss & Financial Loss along with Employee Engagement.

It is not one Vs the other.

Any suggestion that improves the Financial and HR Health of the organization need not be viewed as Anti Employee Welfare.Hence having a Robust Policy which could reduce manpower loss & financial loss need to mean being Anti Employee.

So pls explore all options like Work from home,part time,lateral Shifts, Chreche Facility etc.. along with having effective exist policies

From India, Pune
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.