amitranjan

respected sir or mam
i am a student of master of business administration . i have decided to choose hr as a major i want to know everything about hr whts its prospect what i do from now to gain more knowledge that i can be a good hr manager & wht subject i take as a minor which match with hr .
please help me .
your's faithfully
amit

From India, Chandigarh
Ekta Sharma

Dear Amit As you have choosen Hr as your major, start reading magazines & journals to keep your knowledge for HR updated. the journals like HRD review, human Capital, Icfai journal for HR . Ekta
From India, Ahmadabad
pepraveen
Hi Amit,
Going for a HR Elective is a very good idea. But, you have to choose your papers while you do that. now the best in the industry is to choose something like HRM. At present the present market is good to begin, in the form of a recruiter. Many ODC's come into existence and they require MBA with HR as elective. To get a good start you can get into some HR consultancies.
They can be a good source for cognition. You can get a very good experience as a beginner. You may also get a chance in a coporate in a minimum of 6 months to one year. The fast you learn, the fast you acheive.
The best additional elective for HR will be Marketing. Marketing skill is required for any kind of job you do.
All the very best !
Regards,
Praveen.
"Life does not require us to make good; it asks only that we give our best at each level of experience"
- Ruopp, Harold

From India, Madras
afolabi ajayi

Dear Colleague/s,
It is a nice idea to embark and eventually pick an MBA, it should be noted that this kind of qualification is expected to prepare you for executive managerial tasks and supervision be it HR, Management, Marketing even Finance.
However I would like to add quickly that the membership of relevant professional bodies would put icing on the cake for that extra lift you need and edge over others-CIPD, IPMN etal
On the whole it is okay to have HR as elective but the regular interaction with colleagues in practice would go a long way to assist in carry-out any assignments and resolving issues when they do come up.
Meanwhile consider the suggestions made.
Thanks.

From Nigeria, Lagos
sunayna

well....while the topic is still goin on...can u tell me is ergonomics good or international finance??? :?:
we have to chose one of them for tour 6 th sem...i am doin my bachelors,
from wt ive heard....syllabus wise...ergonomics is outdated
:)
regards
sunayna

From India, Mumbai
umalme

if first one outdated then second oe is old, died and creameted.
'Modern management of human capital in a particular developing industry segment' seems to interesting one and hot topic.
it should cover some aspect of most of the important subject as well as get u chance to learn and give real life case studies.

From India, Delhi
leolingham2000

MBA IN HR

My first suggestion

-contact career consultant and do an aptitude test .

get a second opinion of your interest.

WHAT IS YOUR REAL INTEREST?

Unless you have genuine interest in people / their problems/

their situations etc, it could be a dry subject.

HR covers subjects like

-human psychology

-human relations

-recruitment / selection

-induction

-orientation

-training

-management development

-compensation development

-performance appraisals

-performance management

-career planning

-coaching

-counsellinges

-staff amenities planning

-event management

-succession planning

-safety management

-staff communication

etc

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So think about HR and also other subjects like the above

list.

You need to discuss with some people and come to a

judgement, what is best for you.

The questions are centered around

-personal interest

-career interest/ why

-subject interest

-career plan

-career goal

etc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the above list of hr activities, you may be leaning towards

just 2/3 areas .

You need to determine the 2/3 subject areas and work on it

as your career plan.

Apart from career consultant, you need to take the opportunity

of discussion with some HR MANAGERS of different cos.

like IT FIELD, CONSUMER PRODUCTS, SERVICE INDUSTRY

to get a first hand view of the roles. You will find it very

different.

The prospects are very bright.

You can seek senior management position or HR DIRECTOR

OR become an independent consultant.

After that if you want to come back to me again, you are

welcome.

regards

LEO LINGHAM

From India, Mumbai
sunayna

well these are the only 2 options tht BMS and mumbai university offer. :( which one wld be a tad bit better sunayna
From India, Mumbai
mosesduma
Try look at the Strategic positioning of HR function in the fulfillment of the Organisational Balanced Scorecard. Ask for more if you want.
From South Africa, Stellenbosch
mosesduma
Try look at a website called- strongmessage.com it's run by a People Management Consultant based at the University of Stellenbosch..i think you will benefit. Also try join HR Organisations like Institute of People Management..depending on where you are.
Welcome to the field..that's Proper Management. I trust you will enjoy the field.

From South Africa, Stellenbosch
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.