ashishkumar
I've left jobs always because of bad bosses. For some strange reason, no one talks about this as a reason for leaving...everyone is encouraged to not talk of bad bosses when they quit a job and interview for a new job...they give vague reasons like satisfaction, pay or something. It is stupid. People mainly leave jobs because of bad bosses, and that was proved by a survey by Gallup. What can be done? I am a big fan (like thousands of others) of this article: "Why your boss is programmed to be a dictator". Read it, and you will understand why bosses are generally bad (you can read the article online at www.changethis.com)

hemaa

I agree with the earlier post. Bad bosses are one of the main reasons why employees leave companies. With the market on a boom, competent employees have more opportunities awaiting them & they would walk out if the company culture & their bosses are disagreeable to them.
From India, Madras
ashishkumar
Agree. Good people will always leave if they have bad bosses. I think it's really strange that no one talks about this issue openly. Agreed being a good boss is very tough, but we need to look at things from a systems perspective..ie the system needs to change. It sounds weird, but the current system produces bad bosses, rather than bad bosses producing bad systems. I strongly recommend you read the above article at changethis.com, if you haven't already. You will see why training people to become better bosses will never work, and why training people to be better team players (under the current system) will never work either.

yvrmr
yes, i agee 100%, because of bosses only people are leaving the organisaiton (atleast 90%), i have come across many bosses - they always try to satisfy their ego at the cost of organisation. if some body thinks i am working for the organisation-orgn. is paying salary - and - he doesnt know "yes boss" , he will be humiliated like any thing. many people doesnt like creativeness, i hv seen bosses - they dont update thier knowledge, if subordinates try to correct it - they will keep in mind at the time PMS - they try to take revenge - very immeturity. now-a-days many people - least bother about the organisation interest. they always try to satisfy their ego - if some body takes initiative - they will discouraged - there r no values, no professional ethics. i hv seen organisaitons - who promise at the time of interview - they promises several things - but they dont fulfill - they dont bother people career. i hv seen in mfg. sector who treats the people like slaves. low payment, ill treatment, no motivation etc., i hv seen all these even in reputed companies. - EXTREMELY SORRY TO SAY PLEASE BE CAREFUL - CAREFUL - CAREFUL WHILE SELECTING N JOINING A COMPANY - BE CAREFUL. BOSSES - WE CANT AVOID THEM - WE HV TO LIVE WITH THEM regards madhusudhan

Zarine

From what I've read so far, we all agree that bad bosses do lead to a high employee turnover. But what can HR do to address this issue? Can we have a greivance process wherein the employee can bring such issues to the management's notice? Can we policies and practices which encourage the employee to take such steps without fearing discrimination/ retaliation later? Also the person in question - the boss, himself - what kind of counselling can we provide to him to find the reason for his conduct. We have to keep in mind that we are dealing with human egos here, which can quite fragile at times. Every employee, be it a superior or a subordinate, is important to an organization. The HR has to act as a confidante for the employee and as a counsellor to the Boss,if possible get them face to face and solve the matter amicably.
From India, Hyderabad
borhan
we want professional boss but another hidden desire is that he should be a human (in regards to his behavior) also. in some places i found few talent boys were working in a comparatively less salary though they can get more in other places. they were doing so as their boss used to be smiling, kind and social minded. in that offices boys were ready to face any new challenge sportingly only for their boss's behavior. why shall i stay? can the above reason be one?
From Bangladesh, Dhaka
Pudar
Simply because they wanted to join another organisation! :D Work where your mind and heart belongs.. Pudar Hate & Rage Dept.
From Singapore, Singapore
LOLA

employees can leave for these reasons: 1. incompartible with tasks and duties 2. unmet expectations for taking up the job 3. unfriendly work environment 4. getting a better offer elsewhere
From Nigeria, Ibadan
manasreddy
it is a really good article leaves much to be debated the solution to the problem is implementation, we can see many organizattions with big slogans about their hr policies how they treat their employees but nothing being done on the ground. are the org's lying? no they are not, its just that in the growing competition for skills. companies try to attract tallent by framing policies which cannot be fully achived due to lack of time or commitment by the managers or it might be that the managers have not be tuned to the policies and given training to implement those policies...
From India, Bangalore
koibitoriiko
yes a lot of what the article said is true...We are even experiencing a s*cking TL...who doesn't listen to anyone but herself. Urrrgghhh :x how i despise that person! heheheheheh anywayz...thanx for the great article
From Philippines, Philippine
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.