No Tags Found!

Ayu0700
Hello all, I, a 2021 B.Com graduate, worked as a journalist for around 7 months in a company (Let's assume the company's name was Company A) and left it in early May 2023 when I got a new opportunity in the marketing field in another company (Let's assume the new company's name was Company B). I was desperately looking to switch careers while working in Company A as I understood that journalism was not my cup of tea and thus I took a social media marketing job in Company B. However, I understood that the social media marketing job was also not for me as it required creativity and heavy writing. And I hated writing (This was the primary reason for leaving my journalism job). I resigned from Company B after only 3 days of working without any new job in hand.

After 2 months, on 20 July, I gave an interview at a reputed organization for a finance-related role and cleared every round and my documents were verified. However, during document verification, when HR asked me the reason for leaving the previous organization (Company A), I didn't tell him that I left Company A after receiving a new offer from Company B. Instead, I told him that "I left Company A because journalism wasn't my passion and now I am looking for new opportunities". He understood and completed my document verification.

Anyways, I know Background Verification is an essential part of employment in any company and this reputed organization will also ask my previous organization(Company A) about the reason for the resignation of mine during the BGV process. Now my question is will this affect my candidature or employment in the upcoming organization? Do organizations cancel offers if they get to know that a new candidate lied about the reason for leaving his/her previous job?

P.S - I left Company A on good terms and have all the necessary documents with me (offer/joining letter, 7 months compensation statement and relieving letter)

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Thank you.

From India, Kolkata
vmlakshminarayanan

Hi,

These are employer specific and we can't predict how your current employer will react to it. In general please do not hide any facts or don't submit false documents /reasons. Now Company A might mostly respond that you left on your own left on your own accord or better prospects. I don't see this will create a issue.

Your career journey from A to B to C with short stint shows that you are not focused to your career. First of all determine what is your career ambition. Every work will be tough initially. Without pain there is no gain. So better do a SWOT Analysis and take your career very seriously.

From India, Madras
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Ayu0700,

Your query and worry are about background verification (BGV). Let us analyse these two words by asking simple questions:

The verification is of what? - The verification is of background.

The background of what? - The background of your past career or past employment.

In the BGV, primarily the verification is done of facts. The facts about employment. While you might have told a different reason for quitting employment, the fact remains that you worked in companies 'A' and 'B'. Secondly, your separation was under normal circumstances and there was no negative connotation to it. Therefore, I don't think that problem should come into your BGV. Most companies don't have time to delve deep into past employment.

Lastly, about frequent change of jobs. Well, you first take a plunge then you understand that the current is too fast for you to swim. Therefore, you need to live earnestly with the adage look before you leap. Doing experiments as a part of the job is fine but one cannot conduct experiments with one's career itself!

All the best!

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.