No Tags Found!

Mayank_Joe
Hi dear Chetan, Hussain, Priyanka, Sumit
I am working in a API manufacturing company and we also face such problems over here. generally we follow the same procedure as mentioned above by Mr. Sumit. I agree with him that the HR should include a separate clause in the appointment letter for this very purpose. With this clause the employee will be bind to the terms and he/she will think twice before going on leave without approval / information.
Mayank Joshi

From India, Ujjain
ranajit.das
This is funny indeed. Are we saying that all industries are similar and face similar problems ?? Guys it's about time we start relating ourselves to the industry we belong to. The global GYAAN does not work anymore and honestly I fail to see standardization anywhere !! First let's start a root cause analysis and ask -

1. Chetan, what industry do you belong to ?

2. What were the causes that you can think of ?

3. What does your HR policy say (regarding ABSCONDING employees) ?

4. Did you follow up ? Till what extent ?

5. Was there a contract signed ?

How seriously does her action impact the organization ? Did the HR set expectations well ??

Look without any further gyaan let me explain thetruth - real time, ATTRITION (voluntary / involuntary) is a natural process and cannot be eradicated.

The best way to reduce it is to create a BRAND LOYALTY amongst your employees. So during induction, please ensure a proper expectation is set with the new hire, ensure that the support of the mentor and the support staff is actually followed the way it was explained during induction.

Cheerio !!

From India, Pune
ranajit.das
talking about maintaining positivity is all GYAAN and NO PYAAS !! Let's admit it. Policies are made to ensure smoothness and not create friction. Your organization is not made of concrete procedures, beautiful ambience or even a classy interior set. It's made of you, you and your colleagues. Now, that's true HR.
Cheerio !!

From India, Pune
M.J.SUBRAMANYAM

hI cHETAN,
In a similar case, about 15-18 years ago, what we did was we first enquired about his whereabouts from his colleagues in the Office.When nothing substantial came up, we contacted the absconder's family members. They also did not know where he was! They(family members) lodged a police complaint. After waiting for some time we served an official notice asking the absconding employee to report to duty immediately. Even after two weeks there was no reply. Family members also did not know where he is. Then we were forced to given notice through two newspapers -one in vernacular language and another in English language- which have largest circulation in that district. But even to this, there was no response. After waiting for six months and lodging police complaint, then informing the family members, company was forced to remove him from the rolls.
Till today his whereabouts are not known, not even to his family members, who were inconsolable!
M.J.SUBRAMANYAM, BANGALORE

From India, Bangalore
M.Peer Mohamed Sardhar

i have face a problem regarding employee absconding.

Every company has this issue. It is not only in your company.

Last week one of my employee going to be an abscond and main thing is she is a female employee,

What is the big deal in gender, based on the way you have mentioned, it is understood that you are very much aware that the employee will stop coming.

When the salary is done from next day she is not coming, for this problem 1 week is over..

Of course, she has worked for the month. Might be if she resigns, you will not relieve her or you will not pay her salary, so she waited for the salary to be credited.

So kindly suggest resolution for this problem and it is the second case in the company and i want stop forever..

- Pls answer the following

o What made the first person to abscond

o What analysis you have done to understand the reason

o If you understood the reason, what are the corrective measures

o What is the reason for the second issue.

o Please analyze all these factors; you will be able to get a solution.

so please suggest/ guide me proper way for the resolving this problem.

From India, Coimbatore
Mayank_Joe
Dear All
In this contaxt, we can say that no one can read one's (absconder's) mind that what he/she wants to do by this act ? One example: few years ago our one Officer absconded, we found that he borrowed huge money from the company, colleagues and his neighbours also, and absconded. Like this one, so many reasons can be behind such type of behaviour. Than what should HR do in this regard.
Mayank Joshi

From India, Ujjain
HRDMumbai2012

Hi,
One more point I would like to add over here as a reason for absconding from job is lack of job satisfaction due to job profile,non co operation from team and seniors,excess humilation .
Regards,
Sumeet

From India, Mumbai
V. Balaji

It is all attitudinal problem and nothing more. whatever HR policies you implement, whatever systems you bring in, it is a matter of individual's mindset. I have seen in my 24 years HR experience, the employees are always calculative. Before they could take such decision, they calculate themselves If they absond, what would be pros and cons. If there is no much big loss they are going to suffer, they take decision. they wait for their salary to be deposited; they would have collected their annual LTA, education allowance etc, before the salary itself (as usual every year).

Now, tell me how are you going to collect their notice period dues (may be one month or three months). You cannot touch their PF and Grtuity claims. If you do not pay, they know how to collect it from you.

Whereas, you (employer) have no option. You can say, you will write to the employer about the candidate and tell them this employee has not been properly RELIEVED. I know there were certain companies did not even bother to insist their relieving order. In some cases, these people go abroad. Unless there is criminal case or something, issuing visa is not a problem. Manpower is in huge demand today.

I read in the newsper "The Hindu" recently, candidates having "arrers" in their exam is not a barrier for them for job. This means, the employer is ready to hire even those candidates.

What I am trying to communicate is that people become "self centred". If they are offered a few more thousand rupees there, they do not mind kicking you and joining them.

Someone here said that "analyse whether you are paying good salary", etc. I do not believe in this. You (employer or MD) do business. there are overheads. He can fix salary depending upon the position and the jobs that individual performs. You cannot lavishly be spending money and keep increasing their salary without seeing your overheads.

In my company also attrition takes place. I know our competitors' salary more than what we pay. It does not mean that I need to match their salary. I know our company's strength which I always capitalize. Employees keen in ONLY MONEY will always do this kind act, whatever you do.

Conclusion is that, protect the interest of the company by sending formal communication to such employees and show real interest to have them back. If they still did not respond to your letter(s), leave them, let them go.

Balaji

From India, Madras
kamalkantps

Dear Chetan,

First of all let me share one experience with you.

Once one of my client asked me to draft and issue a warning letter to one of its employee who was reportedly absconding with some cash of its customer and some other company property and even his phone was switched off since then. I due to dont know what feeling requested them to first send a letter on company letterhead to the current and permanent address of that employee that we (company) are worried about your health as you have not reported to work for last few days with out intimation to anybody. Please inform us about your well being as we are worried within 7 days through any mean possible.

After 2 days i got the response from that Client that the father of that employee called and with very heavy voice he informed them that his son died in an accident the same day while returning from the work leaving behind 3 month old baby boy and a wife to whom he got married 1.5 years later. His father also told them that he told him before dying to get all the company property safely to the company and they were very touched by receiving that letter from company and thanked the Client to show that kind of sensitivity towards the employee.

This incident shook both me and Client and since then i suggest the following course of action to every Client in case of absconding of any Employee.

1. Issue a letter asking for the well being of the employee of if possible try to certain by any means possible if there is any mishappening with him or the family.

2. Then after either giving reasonable opportunity to inform about any unwarranted incident or getting certain about that there is no such incident happened issue a warning letter stating the time period of non reporting and asking him to report immediately otherwise it will be presumed that you are no longer interested in the services of the company.

3. Thereafter if he does not reports for the duties another warning letter is issued by giving him 7 days to show cause as to why not his services should not be terminated. Thereafter after giving him proper opportunity to defend himself, the company may decide after considering his explanation if the same is proper or improper and take action accordingly. Please note that a cc of all the warning letter should be marked to the local labour commissioner, it help to prove your bonafide intentions.

but the crux of all of it is that do not presume that employee has absconded without reasonable reason though at whatever time the employee started to absent himself. Something bad can happen to anyone at anytime.

Please feel free to contact me in case of any elaboration on any aspect.

From India, New Delhi
ambareeshymc
Dear All,
Greetings.

Retention is a challenge for every companies. Apart from compensation and benefits, HRD have to ensure that every small and big time employees are eligible for 'piece of mind' at work. After the need-analysis of a new entrant, educate him/her about the real facets of the company.
Technically there are many HR initiatives as mentioned above by our friends.
In addition, consider your Organization as a brand and the new employee as a new customer. So, a clear notion has to be communicated to the employee during the deed of joining which would prevent the unexpected cracks happening between the organization and the employee.
Ambareesh YMC,
HR Executive,
RPSG Group, Bangalore.

From India, Bangalore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.