No Tags Found!

priyaslakshmi1905@gmail.com

Dear all, Wish to discuss another case with you!

How will you treat an employee who is unwilling to report and apply for leave? One of our employees said he has been suffering from fever for the last week and has not applied the leave in our HRIS. I informed him the same and said yes he will apply, but he is not. Unfortunately, he is one of my friends and I'm his HR. At last, I decided to report this to our management.

Please review this case.

From India, Kochi
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Priya S Lakshmi,

What you have done is correct. The HR Department should not withhold any information. It should be reported to the authorities concerned. Friendship and an organisation's rules and regulations have no bearing on each other. Affection towards an acquaintance or acquaintance itself should not become a burden to exercise one's duties and responsibilities.

If the employee is on leave, then does he have the means to access the company's HRIS?

By the way, did you ask the employee the nature of his sickness? Why is he suffering from a fever for more than a week? What is the diagnosis? Did you ask him to send the scanned copies of the prescription from the certified physician and also the scanned copies of the supporting medical documents?

Could you send someone to his home to assess the nature of the sickness? If not, then you may send a bouquet of flowers with a card "Get Well Soon" plus a small fruit basket. The visiting employee should gather more information surreptitiously about the sickness of the employee.

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
priyaslakshmi1905@gmail.com

Not so far. As I cannot take action without taking confirmation on the procedures from the management. So far we have given our employees the freedom to take leave if it is a genuine case without any medical certificate.

He can submit his application to our HRIS as he has access.

He has never informed me about the leave, according to our reporting level. One employee can take leave by informing their team lead.

On the humanitarian concept, management has told me to remind employees to apply for leave. I did the same. But his repeated ignorance in answering calls and replying to messages become worse.

Personally, I came to know he is not suffering from any critical medical issues.

So I decided to make the following procedures,

1. Ask for a medical certificate and if not submitted the same he shall be imposed with LOP.

From India, Kochi
vmlakshminarayanan

Hi,

At times employees tend to take liberty like this.

Try to reach him and explain that in the absence of proper medical proof his absence from duty will be considered as leave without pay. Also please check whether employee is just waiting for salary processing date for want of salary and then planning to abscond without any information. It is standard corporate process to hold salary for long leaves without proper information.

From India, Madras
rkn61

Reference your post (No.3).

As you know that the employee is availing sick leave, just for the sake of availing leave, you can communicate with your friend (employee) to report forwith, failing which action shall be initiated against him, by the management.

Please also let us know whether he is having any leave to his credit. In case of no leave,
you can make the period of absence from duty as Loss of pay - this is a common standard practice,
followed in companies.

From India, Aizawl
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.