kingofkingsrajesh
Companies do not take such decissions wantedly please understand thier situation too say for example if 50 employees taken away from a company of 200 employees understand such move is to save rest 150. take it positive at the same time companies must have rlieving policy in place and proper notice or compensation must be given to employees if that is not done properly please stand for your right be strong to give an legal notice let us be the last one affected.
Regards
Rajesh

From India, Madras
shwe11

Dear All,
I completely agree that these decisions are not taken wantedly ......but I am against the planning we work on ....and then not living upto that...
I am just trying to convey that we all have to put our effort to minimize the effect on the employees who suffer.....
I understand being in HR.... management doesn't do it intentionally but even if un intentionally done what kind of a damage it could cause to any employee in terms of attitude,dedication & stability......
I request all to plz take it in a positive manner ...This is not against us but in a way it's for every professional/working person.....

Thanks
Shweta Jaitly

From India, Coimbatore
Ajay Kumar Shrotriya
Good Topic,
I think, Govt. bodies should interfere and make strict rules to safe guard employees interest. We can understand the current market situation and competion among various sectors, but hiring is creating frustation in our youth. I think this practice is not taking us to a brighter & prosperous India. Companies should change their hiring policies and better hire on contract basis. After contract period if they remove, frustation level will be much lower. Still we should hope for the best. There is very few companies following hiring & firing policy. I am working with a S Korean MNC where the employees are working for more than 30 years all over the globe.
All the best and check back ground of the company before you join.

From India, Delhi
shahanal12

Hi,

There are post being taken on personal basis here, Let's avoid that first and second thing every thread is for knowledge sharing so share it rather than arguing to each other.

As Shweta has come up with a serious concern being faced by all the major Giants and even to mid segment companies up to certain extent, I would like to say that yes it is a serious concern and I appreciate that you could bring that in to public for open discussion.

We still do not know the rootcause for this problem and we are commenting on the basis of assumptions. For every company the reason may not be the same as cost cutting. For some companies it may be as segrigation of business, Technology enhancement (NA to IT industry) etc.

If it is due to the above reason it is justified that they do not require the same work force now. Needs of manpower is dicreased. But in a certain cases where there is only cost cutting is involved and they take a way of retrenchment it is not fair enough. For cost cutting you may not let fo 50% of your company manpower. In certain cases the things shown to the external world and actual reasons are always different. We can come to a good conclusion only if we know the rootcause as i mentioned before.

I would appreciate comments on this.

Regards,

From India, Ahmadabad
aqua.arpitha
Hi
The fact is companies hire when they are in profits and fire when they are in loss.
One has to understand and be mentally prepared and know the basic logic of the Companies behaviour.
Just arguing / discussing or feel bad about the situation does not work out. Private companies are meant for that.
regards
Aqua

Bishwajeet

Hi Shweta,
My opinion is that generally organisation are not mature enough when they do manpower planning and their utilisation so they face such challenges.
Secondly, when ever we think of cost cutting probably mapower is the first one they think of which is unfortunate...in such difficult times its better to concentrate on generating more revenue(mr laloo prasads opinion on railway which is very true) which probably is a better and easy option and professionaly right too since mapower is the only resource which your competitors can not copy and are thus invaluable.
Last but not the least when have good resources they concentrate on making policy which are harsh on most of occasions and when you lose them you do hiring on mass scale aggresively which refelects the immature nature of organisations.
Would like to know others opinion too.......
Regards,
Bishwajeet

From United States, Long Beach
spkguj2002@yahoo.com
Dear Shweta, This is nowdays tectis, unfortunately, such companies has no proper direction and are having centralize system methodology. At that point cost cutting is just one excuse nothing else.
From India, Bardoli
ak_sinha
Hi Shweta,

Having worked in the industry for over 12 years now, These thoughts have often crossed my mind... but as we are a growing economy there are both boons & banes of it. While we reap rewards of the foreign currency inflows, it is time we learn the way the businesses operate globally. HR is no longer viewed as a support function by many corporates and instead is more oriented to become a business function... and the business situations are very dynamic... we have to constantly keep on evaluating our position vis-a-vis the market and do structural changes accordingly... However, I'm not trying to advocate the correctness of lay-offs. In my opinion too it is a very harsh truth to digest for the person affected.

While we do the dissection of the issue here, let's also not forget the other side of the coin where companies who get affected by the sky-rocketing salary demands of the people they recruit & still have to go through the pains of offer rejections, no shows etc... This does not justifies the unholy act of the employers but is also an issue to be debated as we discuss the issue of lay-off / pink-slips.

I agree to Tania's views where we should do a proper introspection before we go out and hire for a new position. We also have to acknowledge that there are times when companies make a wrong decision and it is never too late to correct...but at the same time we should avoid these mistakes... As a HR professional, it becomes more of our responsibilitiy to ensure that we do not crumble under the management pressure of hiring and present them with a better value proposition which helps avoid such situation. While I empathise with the ones affected, I also accept the market realities which are led by the demand and supply forces which drive the businesses for regular change in their strategies leading to such situations.

Faysal51

I think the solution of this issue is the proper manpower planning, How? we have to align the organization vision, Long term and short term Goals with departmental goals and drive KPI's so that we may hire accordingly and retain them
From Pakistan, Karachi
radhika_ammu2000
Dear Shwetha,

I would like to throw some light on this issue.

I am working as an HR executive in Infopark Cochin. Ours is an IT company with staff strength of 70 (approx) in this branch. Like many others, US recession is taking a toll on many of our US govt based projects and hence we have immense pressure from US Ho to give them details pertaining to manpower utilization.. We have employees working in sal range of 8K-15K/month. They give us the productivity according to what they are paid for.

During critical situations we are forced to layoff trainees n jr executives and hire one good candidate worth 3-4.5L who can think equivalent to 5 brains. At times we are forced to adopt such strategies for the very survival of the organization.
In this world of intense competition, we are forced to retain and nurture the best. Downsizing always affects those employees who are least important to company day today survival. Meeting requirements do not necessarily make a person a critical or inevitable resource. So to sustain many companies may shed their peripheral resources (support staff) to protect the core resources

Hope this explains the situation to some extend.

From India, Kochi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.