No Tags Found!

srinaren

Hi Friends,
This is a question often raised in the corporate world! What happens if you are better qualified and experienced? Will your boss receive you whole heartedly, cooperate and think of taking the organisation to a higher level with his and your abilities? Sometime or the other, you might have come across this type of a situation or might have heard this type of situation coming up in front of your friend! What do you feel? Why not express your views.
-Srinaren

From India, Bangalore
GOWTAMTULUGU

HI NAREN,
WELL IF AT ALL I AM WELL QUALIFIED THAN MY BOSS, HE MAY OR MAY NOT TAKE ME TO THE HIGHER LEVELS. BECAUSE "EGO" IS ONE WHICH PLAYS THE JEY ROLE AND THUS HE MAY THINK THAT I MAY CREATE HARM TO HIS POSITION. SO, I HOPE HE WILL NOT ENCOURAGE ME IN ALL CASES. WHAT DO U SYA?

From India, Hyderabad
devjit28

Hi Srinaren,

Your question has two parts to it -qualified AND experienced. These are two different things. A PhD working his first job is qualified but not experienced, whereas a BCom with a 20 year career is experienced but less qualified. Both kinds of people need to be managed differently.

It is perfectly possible if a fresh MBA graduate has a boss who is a graduate but with 10 years experience. This is not an uncommon happening. Here, the fresher still has to imbibe loads of learning & skills in the practical arena, something which his boss can develop in him. The trick is for the fresher to not tom-tom his higher qualification, or the boss to try to downplay the fresher from a sense of insecurity or anything. Somebody with 10 years experience will be likely to perfom better than a fresher, although qualifications are also important.

But if the opposite were to happen -a 10 years experienced person having a MBA boss with let's say 2 years experience- this is a difficult situation to handle. However, this is also not uncommon. This happens where performance is the main criteria, instead of qualification or plain experience. Many MNCs have young CEOs and MDs, whereas other people in the MNC are older, since MNCs look at performance more closely. If the younger boss is not able to justify his position in terms of performance, then it is almost impossible to keep out egos & petty feelings from entering the boss-subordinate relationship. And once this happens, performance plummets. This situation can be avoided by having a uniform recrutiment & promotion policy, with room to reward exceptional performance.

I have recently witnessed this problem in my organisation. We had to really work hard to resolve the situation, change some key policies & procedures, and retain both the boss & his subordinate, both of whom are star employees.

Warm regards,

Devjit

From India, Gurgaon
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.