arpan.satya

Really very sorry mam and apologising on my reply if it hurts u.
Mam,
One thing i would like to tell u that we as bhartiya are taught so much humanity lesson since childhood. Do we follow all the rules? no . and mam i tell u one thing regarding mannerism we were best in the world. we are best in the world. we will best in the world but quantity decreases. Now u want to accept as a fact, it is true that we have not been bhartiya but have become Indian so called modern. Accept good things from all over the world but don't cut ur root.
Again sorry if it hurts u. sorry......................................

From India, New Delhi
YGeeta

Our hypocrisy and boasting hurts me,our reality hurts me and the basics which we have forgotten long back and which we appreciate in others is what is the reality of our current times...I have seen myself inside and outside the country far and wide so don't tell me to raise a debate out here...and I have not generalised everything about Indians but yes,mannerisms and etiquettes we definitely are lacking and far behind the developed countries, I say we are far behind because I don't compare Bharatiya with the neighbour country and feel happy but I compare with most developed nations...feel unhappy that we have not reached any where in our 60 years of independence you know why ?
Because of our hypocrisy and trumpet blowing and shallow pride...

From Korea, Seoul
arpan.satya

Dear Mam,

It is not a debate we don't boast on our culture but every country have different in its culture. you have seen what they do not seen deeply what we do. we used to pray before having foods. we offer a little part of food to god before having meals. I should sorry to you again its a people perception what he want to see. Now it is useless you to say where we were in past in comparison to your so called developed nation. Mam there are so many things that i can show that this is a cultural difference otherwise good persons are there and also here. if you feel same having food on sitting the ground. i have nothing to say. now tell me about your developed countries eg. In India we always count problem of castism but what is racism for your so called developed and educated countries. recent eg austraila, canada racism attack with shilpa setty. Dear mam, problem exist everywhere but try to touch your heart. One thing mam i think you haven't met a real bharitya yet but you met only indians. I believe if you meet a real bhartiya if will flat and it is true they are rare in quantity but if you don't find them meet me i show you what kind of real bhartiya and i firmly believe myself i can change your perception you can also say this thing but i am talking real bhartiya
we real bhartiya have the power of touching heart of anyone.

always smile

From India, New Delhi
YGeeta

I am not in the habit of getting into debates specially when people are going at 2 different levels...Thank you ,you won my heart and your Bharatiya too won my heart,okay...for your kind information I am really impressed..Now keep smiling:-D
From Korea, Seoul
rameshbashyam@yahoo.com

hi, this is unacceptable. office calls for decorum. no matter what position the guy is in, he should maintain decency and dignity in the office. ramesh
From India, Madras
arpan.satya

Dear mam, i couldn't understand your first line meaning(I am not in the habit of getting into debates specially when people are going at 2 different levels...). but in reality if i really touch ur heart and win then ok otherwise i should shame on me if i couldn't do that.

From India, New Delhi
nashbramhall

I just saw this thread today. As a Bharatiya (or Indian) living abroad for over 42 years, and one that was born in "British India" and had heard stories about their behaviour, let me say a few words. Placing feet on the table is unhygenic, whether done at home or at work.

Some people in the UK also do that; some also rest their sole on the wall, when they stand talking, staining the wall. However, these practices are looked upon as uncultured. I remember an episode that my father narrated when we were kids. A British manager was in the habit of placing his feet on the table and talk to others (especially, his subordinates). Once, he visited his subordinates office. Immediately, the subordinate lifted his feet and put it on the table to continue the conversation. The manager asked him why he did that. To which the subordinated replied "That's what you do when talking to others, and I thought that's the superior culture and worth emulating". The manager learnt a lesson and stopped doing that in the future.

Have a nice day.

Simhan

A retired academic in UK

From United Kingdom
Ash Mathew

OMG wat a huge response to this thread.
:-)
Well - forget about being Indian or western - everyone knows to behave when they are being monitored.
Some people can manage these kind of gestures...but not many. Imagine - he uses the same shoes in the rest room...and the same thing he places on the table... we place our hands there, and finally we take it to rest our chin on our hand. (Okay I know I exagerrate - now getting back to the solution)
As a part of training, include body language / appropriate gestures training too in your calendar. Highlight these issues there. I am not saying that a training would definitely bring a change, but do let the people know they are being observed for the effectiveness of the training,
Its more of imparting the culture in a manner that no one feels offensive about it.

From India, Madras
hrqq

AWESOME.!
I am greatful to all those who took their precious time out to view and reply to this thread and though this sounded as a meager issue to some, everyone has put in their valuable thoughts in this discussion and I thank everyone for that.
Well, I am not a HR executive, but I raised this question out of my own curiosity for the occasion and glad to see so many different opinions on a single topic. Apart from all the company rules for employee behavior and culture differences the last post about the Hygine factor really tops the list of good reasons to not repeat the action.
Nice day to all.. - and No foot on the table!

From India, Pune
vinodji

Dear HRQQ it seems to be YOU..... keeping legs on the office table is no more an offence until your boss sees it..go ahead..keeping your legs...where ever you need.
From India, Surat
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.