No Tags Found!

raj_prt

My two paise worth of advice to all:
1. Please introduce a 'Candidate Evaluation Proforma', and insist on the interviewers filling up the same after each round.
2. Depending on who normally conducts the interview, have relevant rating scales for each interview in the Proforma
3. Please insist on the Proforma, duly filled up by the interviewer, coming back to you after each round.
4. If you want to keep the rating given by each interviewer confidential from the others, have each section on separate pages, with only the candidates name written on top of every page
5. Let this Proforma be kept in the candidate's personal records, whether he/or she is selected or not.
I am sure the evaluation Proforma is available somewhere in this Forum's archives. Or else one of the members could perhaps upload a copy?

From India, Mumbai
akbarkhan
Just a comment on the situation:
When, She replied that if he wasn't technically good ,she wouldn't have shortlisted him for the second round, you could say to her, " I am sure that since you have shorlisted the candidate for the second round he would be good technically and what I meant to know was if in your view this candidate needs another technical round or should he go directly for HR round."
Regards.

Suchitra Parikh
Hi!!!

Adding on to what others have said, here's my point of view...

1) Why should we (or you) assume that the interviewer was being "oversmart"? Was it in her tone? Because, what she said (the actual words) need not be interpreted as anything negative or rude. Its just a statement of fact...

2) This interaction just boils down to a combination of communication skills, interpersonal skills, assertiveness and finally emotional intelligence...The reason we're in HR is because we enjoy the challenge of dealing with people.

3) So the best way to handle oneself in any "unfamiliar territory" is to give that person the benefit of doubt. You could restate what you said but in a different way(eg, "Let me clarify, what I meant is that does he need another technical interview to explore his expertise more; or can he proceed to HR interview next?)

4) You don't have to catch every ball that's thrown at you. You can choose to walk away... So why carry that emotional baggage and let what one person said affect you? Even when someone is intentionally hurtful or rude, its your choice to react or not (both externally and internally).. This is not just HR but actually the simple truths of life.

5) Since you're new to the field, stay calm and focussed. Don't allow the little things to derail or upset you....Its not worth it, in the larger picture.

6) May I suggest a wonderful life-changing book along these lines? "Don't sweat the small stuff- and its all small stuff" by Richard Carlson...

Have a great day ahead!!!

Suchitra

Hiten Parekh

I agree with what Suchitra has told.
We in HR are supposed to bring good things to work culture. 'I will show her / him' is not the right kind of attitude.
The questioner should design system so as to concrete feedback is received from the interviewer. While I will not consider 'if he was not technically ok, we would have not shortlisted him' as rude but certainly vauge. One should design the evaluation / feedback form in a way that the interviewer has to put objective as well as subjective feedback / evaluation.
In fact after a good format is designed, you can have a training session for technical people for making them comfortable in using such formats.

From India, New Delhi
Elimimian
Hi Guy,
I so much appreciate your feelings and condition. but, what I will advise is that do not make yourself feel like a fool. you just have to be bold and learn to face some situations and problem head on by demanding for further clarification or explanation. I think this will help you as a beginner.
All the best
Elimimian S.

kshama

Hi Jeena,
Don't take everything on your heart.We often come across such reactions in our work life as our job is to deal with people.
So in this situation you should have clarified with her what you actually wanted to know inspite of just saying "Ok".
As we are in H.R We have to be little more patient as compared to other people & not get carried away in the heat of the moment.
You will to learn these things slowly.....in such situations we have to be straightforward & have to use our head & not heart.
All the best!
Regards,
Kshama

From India, Mumbai
sanjeevparkar
Hi,
Not sure if you are not good in communication skills or not, but surely you are a brave person. It takes courage it voice such flip flops in a common forum. You make a good HR guy.
I would have just sent a smiley to her on messenger and forgot about it. Best way to handle embarassing situation is to laugh at it yourself and enjoy being it in.
Cheers!!
Sanjeev

From India, Mumbai
brillian
Hi Jenna

First of all the best thing to do in such a situation is to keep calm. I know its easier said than done! :) Sometimes interviewers do feel on Top of the world for reasons best known to them.

Technical team is always under pressure, either to deliver or to spend extra time for non-development activities like recruitment. They need sympathy, concern and a bit of calming to start with. Just because the concerned interviewer shot back doesn't mean the person is bad. Try to be in their shoes and think. As soon as the interview is over, try to get in touch with the concerned person, and thank them for sparing their valuable time. Informally check if everything was ok with the Interview, rather than directly asking about technical soundness, this you can do once you have gained some experience in the organisation and know how people behave :)

In your specific case, you could have replied stating that the reason for your asking was to update the status of the interview. A person can be technically rated as Excellent, Average, Ok but still move on to the next round. Your reasoning for a need for second opinion may not be taken in the right spirit. Its always said that two heads are better than one.

Relax and keep reading!

Cheers

Brillian

rd80india@rediffmail.com
Hi Jeena,
This is not a big issue. Don't take it so personal. You should clear your doubt by asking direct question. Always learn from the situations you face in your life. There are so many things you will have to face in HR Line. Be confident, and enjoy your work.
RD

From India, Delhi
K.Ravi

Hi Jeena,

Hope u must be feeling good now, by listening to what we have told, this initially happens with everyone,, even with me also it has happened many many times, the best thing I tell you, the more such incidents happen with you the more confident and brave you will become, the more you will be prepared to accept suggestion, and the more cool you will become in your nature, Now I am having two years of exp, when I initially started my job, and had a job change sometimes I would feel so frustrated with my job profile that I once told my boss that how much work should I do, I start one and u give another even before finishing one work then again you give me other,, and it so happened that if i got two work at a time i would become frustrated, and it was probable that I may mess up the work, but then once he cooly told me that there is nothing to worry, and told me practically how to do the two , three works at a time,and now today even if I have two three jobs in hand i take it COOL and somehow manage to complete it within time, try to become confident, and dont ever think shld i say this, what will happen, what will he / she think,, think and do what is the TRUTH, and MORAL.. ,

From India, Pune
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.