No Tags Found!

A New Hr
Hi,

I have joined a company recently as HR and my manager asked me to study the company in the first week and give feed back on what i learned and understood and suggest some improvements if I find any issues..So I was watching the work culture, employees etc of the company I could see that though all the employees are working well and output is there...there is cold war between different departments in the company.

After one week i gave feed back to my manager regarding the company and organization culture, along with that i mentioned about what I noticed(the cold war). My manager agreed to it.

He told me that he did not bother too much about it as the work was not affected until lately when some of the employees started taking it personal and ego clashes started, which was affecting the work indirectly.

Also he asked me to think about some measures to reduce it and gradually get rid of this situation.

I thought about it and gave a suggestion that there should be some extra curricular activities which will have members from different departments join together to make a group,and we shall conduct games , events etc;which would help the employees in different departments to interact each other and reduce the ego clashes between them.

I know this is not all that I can do for this issue.

I request you to give me more ideas on to how to solve such an issue.

From India, Trivandrum
skhadir

Dear Karthik,

Kindly request your Manager to share his views as he is their for quite long. He must have thought some about it.

Do prepare and circulate a questionnaire seeking views of all your employees as how to build INTERPERSONAL RELATIONSHIP among yourselves that should benefit organisation and employees as well. Moreover, your employees must understand the ORGANISATIONAL GOALS and align their goals with it. They have not been hired to destroy the work-culture for selfish/personal reasons. Is you company having a policy on WORK-CULTURE and STANDARDS set for the BEST PERFORMANCE.

On top priority basis find out the root cause for such conflicts/cold wars between employees. What is making them fight besides EGO? I am sure there is someone trying to mislead employees in both the departments else, it wouldn't crossed its limits. If the department heads are matured personalities possessing best leadership skills, i am sure they wouldn't have let it happen. Do study the attitude of HOD's.

With profound regards

From India, Chennai
Cite Contribution

Greetings,

In addition to what you have noticed so far and thoughts as contributed by Mr. Khadir, please consider mine:

What are silos, beyond the theoretical definition and why are they important, if at all they can be ?

Have you been able to identify the influencers and the passive ones, in each team?

What are these influencers using to instigate others, to camp against each other ?

How have the managers so far managed them, without burning any bridges ?

We value professional behaviour, yet objectivity, often remains a far cry. Have you found a leader in this organisation, who's figured out , on how to rise above the situations ? Observe him or her , you will get the best solution and a program to run for your company.

Most often , its not an offsite or a training program that can change a behaviour, but a top-down management involvement .

Here's few situations that I could work through, trust it helps Hocus Pocus

From India, Mumbai
arunchitlangia

1. Have a simple and clear Company Vision & Mission Statement.
2. Have all employees set their Goals professionally.
3. Align Individual, Team and Company Goals.
4. Ensure good communication across teams
5. Have Team Building activities periodically
6. Provide regular training. Top Management needs it as much as lower rank people.
7. Let your Manager know that Conflicts should be resolved at an early stage. Digging a well when thirsty is too late.
8. In this case he neglected and allowed it to grow just because immediate work was not getting affected. Learning Leadership Skills will help him/her.

From India, Mumbai
syboriba

I do not know much about your Company, but looking at the report given, the problem is simple: employees in one Department do no know what is going on in the other Departments. There are erroneous impressions about the varios departments. What can be done therefore is to effect inter-departmental transfers of employees. The misconceptions employees in one department have about others in other departments will minimize and eventually fade out completely.
From Ghana
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.