Senior Hr Officer
India's 1st Strategic Strengths Coach, Corporate
Service Gm Hr
Sr. Personnel Officer
1. HR should analyse where the candidates matches the expected job profile. Have set marks defined for all questions asked and based on the percentage which he/she gets in the HR round he/she should be forwarded for Technical Round
2. Should have some verifications with respect to the organizations that he/she has worked.
3. Analyse where the candidate can be an asset or a liability to the organization.
4. Whether he/she matches the monetary budget.
5. Do prior verification to check if the candidate is not a fake.
These various aspects wouldn't be consider by the technical interviewer since his core focus will be technical and work related responsibilities only. And also this information has to be checked prior so that only right candidates are forwarded for further rounds.
& then it would really make no difference of we being in the system....
what would be a recruiters business then,,,, only sourcing and explaining the salary annexure.... No right... :D
Its strange the way people/ employee perceive HR as just the ones who handover these three letters:
3. Exit/Releiving Letter.
There is a huge gamut of activties which the Smart HR Managers are playing today.
1)The first round with HR is to first make the candidate feel at ease with the questions already known to him like tell me about ur self,work experience etc
2)In this round there are many aspects that an HR judges ex:communication skills,eye contact,body language,thought flow,expressions and mainly we would get to know abt the attitude of that person
3)A person with the desired qualifications (ie) a best fit with required experience having all the above parameters along with logical and analytical ability is sent to next round as he satisfies the basic requirement for the given post apart from technical skills
ur question as to why not the technical recruiter take the intial round
Technical person has sound knowledge about technical work aspect but need not be the same in all the other areas
But an HR person need not have complete technical knowledge but must and should have all the other abilities to judge the candidate
Hence a person specialised in every aspect is termed as an HR who reflects the image of the company and the people working in it
I appreciate the different views said above.
One point i would like to add is that, in today's business scenario the most important quality that organizations look for in their employees is how they face challenges and try to cope up with difficult situation, apart from their domain knowledge.
In such situations HR round of interview is helpful because only an HR can read individual's psychology and judge a person whether he gets demotivated because of the work pressure or he can handle tough situations in the organization or not.
Thus HR round is conducted at the intial stage to scrutinize the candidates properly. Thus right candidates are shortlisted for next level. It thus helps in reducing recruitment cost and time.
Indira Institute of Management
I agree with all of you for reasons of first screening done by HR. I would liketo add upon :
1) We do initial screening to know if the resume we have short-listed is at par with the candidate (Verification of CV;s)
2) Definitely as mentioned by one of the member - to know about candidates ATTITUDE.
3) Certain details like CTC - which technical person won't know. Basically HR screening also helps in knowing the monetary expectations of the candidate and depending upon Co.'s budget HR can decide to take the call further or not.
4) Also the communication skills which helps in screening by HR , if the position demands lots of inetractions/discussions.
5) Essentially HR interviews helps in saving upon total time as well involved in hiring a candidate by doing initial screening.
May be there is lot more.....which our experience can tell.