Some of the common practices known to me are given below:
(a) He will be posted in the same grade. However, weightage will be given to him normal case as he had acquired additional qualification useful for the discharge of his duties.
(b) (i) If the employee is sponsored for the programme, an agreement has to be obtained from the employee in non-judicial stamp paper stating clearing the amount and period to be served with firm. This can be arrived at by computing the amount involved in the training, period of study with payment, value addition to the firm if the person is on rolls, etc etc. plus 20% overhead charges
(ii) Yes, defenitely required
(c) it should be based on some criteria, like recruitment rules/promotion rules of the firm
(d) Hire a suitable hand for the time being if the position is so critical
(e) yes, weightage can be given for that
Incentives can be offered to employees who pursue higher studies leading to better academic/professional qualifications. however, such incentives can be considered only if the higher qualification will make the employee more effective in discharging his duties in the present position or next higher position in the heirarchy. Such incentives can be given only those who acquire it by their own efforts, ie, not due to sponsoring or after taking leave from the duties of the firm. Incentives of this nature should be one time recurring nature based on the qualification acquired by the individual
Hope that this will be useful for you
From Brazil, Maceió
It is something really appreciable that the management is thinking of incorporating Educational Policy in to company system.
In my view we should allow every one to improve and add more qualification irrespective whether this relates to his present job or not. Yes the policy must be very clear on the issues like
1. What employee will gain if he takes a coures for his career planning.
2. How company will compensate if employee gains additional qualification which will in turn help company to improve or add some new process.
3. Who will allow the employee to join the course ( His immediate supervisior or His head of section / department or HR head etc.)
4. How leaves will be granted to employee for taking exams.
5. Priority to present work than to addition in qualification.
6. Right of employer to disallow leave in case of exigencies of work.
7. There should be no relationship between enhancement of compensation and new responsibilities if employee add more qualification.
In total eductional policy means employees must be encourged to read and improve. Monetary and job related factors should not form a part of the policy.
I hope above will help you in understanding the concept of educational policy.
From India, New Delhi