Respected Sir/Madam, Please guide me.
Our organization first gave us 10 minutes of grace time to report for duty, but now it has been removed and issued as a type of circular. Is that why there are some rules? How can we get that facility back?

From India, Mumbai
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Ramesh,

The grace period is an extended period granted as a special favour. An employee may start from home at a fixed time, but sometimes, contingencies may arise because of traffic bottlenecks or something else. To provide cover for such a one-off event, a grace period is given.

While reporting for the duties, whether to grant this special favour or not is the employer's prerogative. If the employer withdraws it, then the employees cannot question it.

Unfortunately, some employees misuse the facility of grace time perennially. If you check the employees' punching records, then you might observe that a few employees avail of the facility of the grace time with the utmost regularity. Suppose on average, the employee reports late for duties by five minutes. But if he/she does it 120 times, the total late-coming works out to 600 minutes. That is as good as one man-day. Is this not the organisation's big loss? This calculation is just for one employee. If the loss is calculated for all the employees, then the cumulative loss could be far greater.


Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
Harpreet Mohal

Dear Mr. Rameshday,

You can get the facility back by advancing your watch by 10 Minutes.

One thing i can not understand is why we make habit of reporting to job at exact time of start of the shift. Why we make the habit of urgency all the time. We should plan our day accordingly.

From India, Chandigarh

Dear Ramesh

Are you asking this question from a legal point of view or as otions available otherwise?
It is the employer's right to withdraw any grace period that he thinks is no longer desirable.
You can however, appeal to him to restore it and then it is up to how they look at the violation and why it was withdrawn in the first place.

If you are asking for legal remedy, the withdrawal (if documented earlier as a part of your HR Policy, terms of employment or standing orders), amounts to change of terms of service and the procedure specified in Industrial Dispute Act needs to be followed. However, such a move will ultimately be approved, just that the employer has to follow some process, give notice and ultimately, after some time elapses, it becomes the new procedure. It is unlikely that you will be able to keep it through enforcement

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.