Hi all,

If someone is on Sabbatical leave (unpaid) for higher studies abroad, should company pay for PF, Pension, and provide Medical insurance? If providing Medical insurance is mandatory, how can employees claim for it in other countries ??

From India, Bengaluru
Sr.manager - Hr&admin



The question of PF/Pension contribution payment does not arise as the employee is on unpaid leave and hence no contribution to be paid to PF account. The term medical insurance you are referring is Mediclaim insurance I believe (which is offered by the Company). Mediclaim insurance can be used in India only. For International Travel the employee need to take overseas medi claim policy separately.

If the employee is on trip abroad on personal grounds no need for the Company to provide overseas mediclaim for the employee. However if the Employer is deputing the employee to abroad then it is the responsibility of the employer to organise Mediclaim policy along with travel and boarding arrangements.

Normally Employers will not permit employee to go on long leave (without pay also) for higher studies , in the course of employment unless otherwise there is some benefit for them.

From India, Madras

If You Are Knowledgeable About Any Fact, Resource or Experience Related to This Topic and Want to Be Part of Such Discussions in Future - Please Register and Log In to Cite Community.

About Us Advertise Contact Us Testimonials
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2023 CiteHRŽ

All Material Copyright And Trademarks Posted Held By Respective Owners.
Panel Selection For Threads Are Automated - Members Notified Via CiteMailer Server