---Why Internal Committees Must Complete Inquiry in 90 Days-Rationale---
Internal Committees our Law-bound to conclude Inquiries into Sexual Harassment Complaints within the prescribed period of Ninety (90) Days. Section-11, Subsection (4) of SHWW (P, P&R) Act 2013, sums up as follows:-
“The Inquiry shall be completed within a period of ninety days in accordance with the provisions of the Service Rules OR Certified Standing Orders applicable to Employee-Respondents."
Let’s remember that Laws do not ask anyone if we will Obey for that is Not the Choice; the Only Choice is How & When; before or after Penalties are imposed for the violation. IC Members run the Risks of i) Removal from IC for dereliction of Duty;
The rationale for Completing Inquiry in 90 Calendar Days, include:
1. Law forbids delay. Maybe justifiable reasons like long illness of Complainant or Respondent, unavailability of IC P O or Members, albeit rare;
2. Avoiding Peak Anxieties likely to affect the Health & Safety of participants;
3. Accumulation of Tasks kept pending while attending IC Inquiry causing disruption, delay in Service Delivery; Temp Deployment of Colleagues to finish Imp Essential Jobs;
4. SH amount to Violation of Fundamental Rights guaranteed by Constitution, hence prolonged Inquiry is dishonoring our own Sovereignty, setting a bad precedent;
5. Anything worth doing is Worth Doing Well; Why waste Time; Damn Care Attitude prove unhelpful
In my experience as IC Member (External), I notice the Aggrieved Harassed Woman suffering a sense of some deathless shame yet surviving every ordeal because the fire inside her burns brighter than fire surrounding her & she waits to prove she is not lying about her Complaints.
Can I Cs reciprocate Aggrieved Harassed Woman's trust in IC and also realize her resilience? Quick disposal of SH Complaints in no way jeopardize I C 's duty to proceed with Inquiry in accordance with Twin Principles of Natural Justice and the Procedures prescribed for such Internal Inquiries.
From India, Delhi
If you are knowledgeable about any fact, resource or experience related to this topic - please add your views using the reply box below. For articles and copyrighted material please only cite the original source link. Each contribution will make this page a resource useful for everyone.