To have a thorough understanding of the concept of working hours in combination with the hours of overtime work under the provisions of the Factories Act,1948, one should carefully go through the provisions of sections 51, 54, 64 and 65 of the Act.
One should bear in mind that the main activity of a factory is manufacturing, it is entirely different from the activities of any other establishment carried on with employees. It would automatically imply that the provisions relating to working hours, overtime work, weekly holidays of workmen employed in a factory have to be designed in such a manner that they ensure the continuous flow of the manufacturing process. That's why special powers have been vested with the Chief Inspector to grant exemption from the statutory norms subject to certain restrictions. No doubt if a prospective candidate for an interview thoroughly understands this, he can convincingly answer any tricky question in this regard with ease.
Now, let me try to answer your queries in the order they are presented:
(1) Normal working hours per day in respect of an adult worker is 9 hours at the maximum. If you add up the overtime work it shall not exceed 10 hours. These are the maximum only and the minimum can change when the calculation is to be made with reference to the longer periods of a week or quarter.
(2) Normal working hours per week is 48 hours. If the normal OT hours are added, it shall not exceed 54. In case of exemption granted u/s 65, it shall not exceed 60 hours including O.T.
(3) You may calculate the monthly hours from the above.
(4) Quarterly calculation relates to overtime work only u/s 64 and 65 of the Act.
(5) Please calculate yourself for any other period based on the above.
23rd November 2018 From India, Salem