1) Study relevant laws on the subject-ESIC,PF,CLRA etc/Knowledge of local laws on subject is essential.
2)I presume you have some certification courses etc on management/hr etc.
3) To face TU you need to be genned up on topics which are being discussed with TU.
4) Tact, presence of mind and genuine approach to problem solving is needed in negotiations with TU.
5)Do not try to skip labour laws.
The world is open and some one will complain to Labour Inspector and you will have to face the music.
But understand the nitty gritties of law relating to labour.
6) Be a friendly employee-knowledgeable on laws/practises of HR consistent with modern principles of management.
Be aware of management practises of contemporary competitors in your industry.
From India, Pune
THIRUMALESHFirst you should be confident on the jobs you are doing and following are my suggestion to be a perfect HR
1) Update knowledge on PF/ESI / CLRI and other latest amendments
2) Be honest and fair in handling employees there should not be any partiality
3) Always analyze the resources requirement and take full control and give your assessed feed back to management
4) A successful HR person should have full control on manpower cost / budgets
5) Policy formulation and strictly enforcing for implementation should be followed
6) To face trade union first you should be through in labor laws and call them for a friendly discussion till you establish good rapport and be a HR business partner at their work to sort out their day to day issues and build their trust
7) Establish good rapport with all the related government official this is very important to ensure the business runs smoothly
8) Develop good training plan in such a way that it will always help the line managers to groom their team members as well all the line managers should be given good leadership programs to uplift their knowledge to the present trends in the market
9) Advise management on succession planning for Critical & Key positions in the organization and take care personally on this requirement to ensure the most importance has been given
10)Labor laws are enforced to create an effective & safe environment to the labor as a HR it should never be ignored instead advise management on the importance and enforcement
These are my suggestions
From India, Bengaluru
Venkata Vamsi Krishna PatnaikDear Satishrw,
Try to learn all statutory and compliance matters as advised by senior friend Nath rao, handling Unions comes with experience.
HR liasoning with statutory officials and internal authorities plays an important role.
Having employee relations,engagement,reviews also form a part of good HR.
The other successful HR man's criteria should be a patient listener and good communicator.
He should be always a bridge between workers and Management.
While the other questions are okay to learn and improve as a HR professional,you query relating to skipping Labor laws is unwarranted.
Understand that labor laws are enacted for the benefit of weaker section which is employee/workers.
From India, Hyderabad
Nagarkar Vinayak LDear colleague,
You want to know how to become effective and successful HR in a company having active Union.
First and foremost, you try to understand thoroughly the business of the company, technology used , competition and financial health to know it's bearing on the critical HR functions like talent acquisition, compensation , performance standards, learning and development etc.
Apart from good grounding in mastering nuts and bolts of HR functions in critical areas stated above, you should have good grasp of job descriptions of key personnel in important cross functional roles, the standards of performance required to out perform competition and the compensation trends in the industry etc.
You should be a HR professional on whom both managment and employees depend for advice, guidance when in challenging situations.
You should be computer saavy, good networker, empathetic listener , catalyst, Mind reader and go- getter.
You may gain lot of insight if you get to interact face to face with the successful HR professionals and learn from them the ropes of HR.
Well, above is not exhaustive list but are some trigger thoughts for you to build on.
From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.