View Poll Results: Can the company take legal action on me if I have accepted the appointment letter but didn't join
Yes 4 80.00%
No 1 20.00%
Please specify your answer 0 0%
Depends 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Anonymous
I have accepted a company's letter of appointment since i didn't had an offer and wanted to join the company. In the letter they didn't mention the joining date but said that will be conveyed later. They held a five day induction programme which i attended and on the fifth day told to join the company from the next day. But now i don't feel the company has a job role of my interest and don't want to join. Can the company take legal action on me as i didn't actually started the job yet. Also it was stated in the letter that if i didn't completed my retention period (1 year) i will have to serve a notice period of 3 months or if failing to do so return the money equivalent to last 3 months salary even though I have not joined the job yet.
From India, Thane
KK!HR

One cannot be hyper technical, when you had attended the induction training it was only as an employee that means after joining. Now post training you didn't take charge hence you are not bound to serve the notice period is not an argument which will have legal force.
From India, Mumbai
Anonymous
Thank you for the explanation as I was very tensed due to this. I am a fresher and i would like to find a job of my interest. Your answer really motivated me.
From India, Thane
Nagarkar Vinayak L

Dear colleague,
It is not in good taste to leave the organisation shortly after joining and completing induction.
But in your case, the job role does not match your interest.
It may be mutually good to quit rather than continue as disgruntled soul.
But quit in good taste, clarifying your honest stand and fulfilling the notice period requirements and any other due obligations. This approach may preempt any legal exposure.
Regards,
Vinayak Nagarkar
HR and Employee Relations Consultant

From India, Mumbai
sheetal-kamble

Answer is NO. If you accept the offer but did not join then they will not do anything at all. just HR may pester you by calling.
From India, Pune
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.