No Tags Found!

Vishal Thakurman
I am facing problem with one of my collauge. He target all my points constantly negatively.
He is head material planning and supply chain and i am purchasing head and taking care of price finalization. Whenever tthere is any supplier related problem, he want me to resolve it. I waste most of my time in that. Though he constantly highlight to every other team member that it is my fault when suppliers do not respond him on material supplies. Due to this constant bambarding by him, all other collauge also thinking that it is my fault and my image is being tarnished.
Our responsibilities are not clear and there are more expectaion from me than from him.
On such a situation, what should be my strategy.
Please help me out.

From India, Indore
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Vishal,

Penultimate line of your post sums up your challenge. You have written that "Our responsibilities are not clear and there are more expectaion from me than from him."

Therefore, what you need to do is to approach your HR and decide the division of duties and responsibilities once for all. In fact your HR has given wrong designations to both of you. He is Head material planning and Supply Chain and you are Purchasing Head. There should be only one Head SCM and all others should report to him. You can be GM Purchase.

As far as vendors are concerned, each company in manufacturing sector has to put up with their vagaries. There is no need to make mole out of mountain.

Have you measured on-time performance of the vendors? Time being tell him to reverse your roles. Let him handle Vendor Management. Let him improve the on-time performance of the vendors and take the credit.

Lastly, many things depend on the quality of the vendors as well. Do you have sound system to evaluate vendors? Have you developed proper score card to measure their performance? I ask these questions as I conduct the training programme on Vendor Management.

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
Vishal Thakurman
Thanks. The problem is that our plant head is not so strong. He just act as a judge during any conflict between us and instead of corrective action on his part he just highlight top management that we both have conflicts and the top boss fire both of us.
Atlast since i am not well versed with loud voice, he wins. This is destroying the environment overall.

From India, Indore
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Vishal,

That ensuring conflict is because of the weak leadership of a Plant Head, goes without saying. Long ago he should have intervened, convened joint meeting and found out amicable solution. Leaders are expected to contrive collaboration. When they fail, situations of this kind arise.

As written in my previous post, identify areas on which both of you have agreement, identify areas on which conflict arises. Based on this, chalk out list of the duties for you and for the other Manager. Approach HR to convene the meeting in the presence of Plant Head. My recommendation is that Purchase Management and Vendor Management should be handled by the same person.

Ratios to Measure Performance of SCM: - As of now, you have not shared ratios on which performance of entire SCM is measured. Once you start measuring, conflict of this kind reduces. I conduct training programme on "How to Measure Efficiency of SCM?" Click on the hyperlink to refer the details. If you wish to talk to me personally, you may give a call on my mobile number that is mentioned in my signature.

Failures of HR: - HR could have stepped in long ago and avoided sparring between two Managers of the same department. It is not just Plant Head but HR also appears to be weak and assumed role of mute spectator. The conflicting situation arose for want of well-defined Job Description (JD). If HR will not define JD then who else will? HR is also responsible for the organisation's culture. That perennial feud between managers of the same department could vitiate the organisation's culture, this simple fact why did not occur to HR? HR is not valued because of the subservience that they demonstrate at their workplace.

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.