surat-guy
for an early stage electronics product development startup company, I want to hire operations team member responsible for keeping my business operating, so should I hire operations executive or operations manager or COO at this early stage???? or 1 HR & admin manger only could be able to manage everything at this early stage startup?
From India, Jalalpur
saswatabanerjee

First, if you want a good answer, you must give details of what you are doing, team size and your own position plus qualification.

however, with the data you have provided, in most cases, HR and Admin can do normal routine administrative work. They can not run the business or the development team. That is not their expertise or Job Description.

From India, Mumbai
surat-guy
Ours is an electronic design startup company and I am a director of this company. we provide services in the following areas:
Electronics systems design
Complete electronics product development
Embedded design
PCB design, pcba turnkey soloution, manufacturing support
PCB Prototyping as a proof of concept
Industries covered are: Aeronautics, Automotive,Consumer electronics/multimedia, Defense,Power,Health,IoT,Railway,Space,Telecom

At present I need to form various departments and team to start the business. I am an E&C engineer holding BE (E&C),M.Tech(DECS) degree. Manager (Business Operations) position is needed or executive (business operations) or experienced COO for better functiong of business????

From India, Jalalpur
saswatabanerjee

Ok, Surat-Guy
Its good to see a detailed reply come instantly...

Unfortunately I still will not be able to give you the answer you need. That is because the answer can come only from understanding of the business. However, I see you have removed HR Manager from the equation.

So you need to analyse, what is the position for. What is he expected to do. A COO will look after the operations, leaving you to focus on policy / direction and on business development. Actually, coming to think of it, all 3 people are expected to do the same thing, so the difference is in where they stand in the organisation.

Giving someone a COO position tells your team (and outsiders) that he is a decision maker and he is only next to you in the organisation. If you have a Manager, it means he is supposed to look after or ensure proper working, but you are not giving him the same level of decision making. At most he has disciplinary powers. There may be other managers or senior managers in the organisation then he will be at the same level and he can not directly override them

From an external perspective also, anyone meeting a manager knows he is higher then the rank and file but still a junior and not a decision maker. it affects the way people look at him

I am sure you also need to look at costs, in which case if you feel a manager meets your needs, and saves you massive amounts, you need to do that (A COO will ask for lakhs per month, specially if he has come from a well run organisation. The other point being your inability to attract such a person to you.)

An executive, take it out of your list, people will to listen to him

From India, Mumbai
surat-guy
so, according to you which one is better???? operations executive or operations manager at startup phase??? and below that, I will fill position of HR manager. Here in this case, same question arises, HR manager or HR executive?
From India, Jalalpur
saswatabanerjee

as I already said, executive at operations management lever will not be able to carry weight and authority to get his work done. You need a manager.

HR activity for startup can be done at executive level because the requirements are comparatively simple at this stage (I assume you are less than 25 people at the moment)

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.