Anonymous
I am being given the responsibility of Retention Management in a Manufacturing Company Factory Work force.
The Set up is a typical township with limited access to city life and the work force is young and dynamic. They are losing interest in the kind of set up and their families are requesting them to change their jobs since life at a plant deprives the spouces of any occupational activity.
How can I bring change in the employee motivation and what are the things i can do to make it a happy and happening place?
Regards
Deepshikha

From India, Kolkata
nathrao

There are many ways to keep people occupied and entertained.
Arrange for transport to nearest City at various times of the day.
Arrange for vocational and computer courses.
Have a place for community gatherings,movies and get togethers.
Have sporting competitions and other gaming activities which ladies could be interested.
Arrange for a creche inside township so that younger children can be safely kept occupied while ladies can engage in studies,craft activities etc.
Many more such ideas to keep spouses engaged can be thought off.

From India, Pune
hiren_banerjee

Dear Deepsikha,

Friend you are really puzzled. First of all you think is there lot of Factories in the heart of the City ? Most of the modern factories are situated in a SEZs or at a remote areas. I have had a very enriched experience which I would like to share with you. The most important thing of an employee is 'Quality of Work Life' . If an employee is not happy with his workplace, then it will reflect on his performance of work and subsequently the matter will go to worse and disaster is inevitable. An employee works 50% of his time in the organisation and rest with his family. The family spends 100% time in a 500 sq.ft. space provided by the company with a TV set. Even Rural people have such facilities which are not available in company quarters (like playground, crop fields, ponds, talau, etc.). Moreover, the families are isolated from their nearest and dearest ones which are painful to them. And the employee is not interested to leave alone his families due to various reasons. Now the point - How to solve the problems ? First of all you make a list of all families - Wives, Kins, Childrens, Parents based on their locations, Culture and habits. Prepare a 'Questionarraire' and discuss all stationed employee and note down their likes , dislikes, their responsibility towards their parents, families. Then shortlist the demands. What you will find , I would like to forecast - (1) Arrange one vehicle at least twice a week to buy necessities from the nearest mandi/town (2) Facilitate admission of childrens at nearest Schools (3) Make a playground/park for the afternoon/evening assembly of the family members. (4) Construct Temple/Mosque/Gurudwara within the peripheri of Colony. (5) Arrange pool car facility for going to town with the families on the day of weekly off. These are the basic needs. Apart from above, if some humanities added like - (a) Construct a Community Hall and arrange religious ceremony once a week (b) Arrange Specials day like Mother's Day, Childrens Day, Teachers Day etc. and arrange small function with competition among the families (c) Record every employee and their families birth date, marriage anniversary date and send one small gift to their quarter in the very morning. (d) Annual Sports for all members of family (e) Once or twice in a year, Community Feast in presence of all Senior Officers and their families. (f) Celebration of Company's anniversary/Good performance/ (g) Appreciation to the families of employees for their special achievements in education/Arts/Games etc. (h) Arrange Cultural programm with participation of family members only etc. etc. The employee want his family is stay Happy and he is not Distracted by the complaints after a strenous work hour. So I hope that I have been able to light up a little bit solution. The last but not the least - Keep in touch with the colony, listen and act with small token and I think nothing displeasure will happen. Thanks

From India, Raniganj
Makaniya Bashir

There are different ways through which you can retain employees one of the best
ways to retain employees is to conduct Exit Interview/ Exit Survey. While conducting
Exit interview you may come to know why employees are leaving and identify where
you can improve to retain employees.
here I h've attached "3R retention policy.pdf" it may usefull to all.
makaniya Bashir
MBA-hr

From India, Pune
deepshii@gmail.com
Hi Manakiya,
Many thanks for your thoughts...! I could not view the attachment, perhaps you may wish to send it to .
Appreciate your help!
I myself have been doing Exit Analysis of my present Organisation and have seen trends with the pain points but am not sure if I can have access to the same in th eorganisation that I am joining... however i have an idea of the pain points and would like discuss with veterans and bring some fresh perspective to the retention measures.
Thanks again for your valuable time.
Regards

From India, Kolkata
deepshii@gmail.com
Dear Mr Hiren Banerjee,

Appreciate your help and thanks for taking out time for the same.

Pardon my inability to express myself… help decipher how in my question you felt I think there are lots of factories in the heart of the City? The particular set up is also a typical Factory township (like the Tata Nagar and Bata Nagars of the world, I did not mean them to be cities) which do have a couple of playgrounds, nurseries, ponds, Gardens. etc…

The basic needs as you mentioned, some are are already catered with for the Organisation being a 100 years and older

(1) Arrange one vehicle at least twice a week to buy necessities from the nearest mandi/town – ideally most of such SEZs have mandis and Mom Pop Stores around them.

(2) Facilitate admission of children at nearest Schools – ours have schools inbuilt in the SEZ with award winning education facility

(3) Make a playground/park for the afternoon/evening assembly of the family members. – Park is there… but how to make people assemble?

(a) Arrange Specials day like Mother's Day, Children’s Day, Teachers Day etc,small function with competition – We do such things already

(d) Annual Sports for all members of family – Ofcourse being done, since years

(h) Arrange Cultural programme with participation of family members only – being done, very common

(f) Celebration of Company's anniversary/Good performance – being done, very common

(e) Once or twice in a year, Community Feast in presence of all Senior Officers and their families – very common

These have been happening but not to much retention measures

Some humanities can be added–

(5) Arrange pool car facility for going to town with the families on the day of weekly off – Very good idea

(b) Construct a Community Hall and arrange religious ceremony once a week – Good Idea… but I want to make the place more encouraging for the youth to stay back who are typically husband n wife, staying away from Father Mother…

(c) Record every employee and their families birth date, marriage anniversary date and send one small gift to their quarter in the very morning – very good idea.

(g) Appreciation to the families of employees for their special achievements in education/Arts/Games etc. – This is new and good.

(i) Keep in touch with the colony, listen and act with small token – Good thought, any ways I can execute this, having language barrier with them?

In addition to the above, bhabte bhalobashi, so I was thinking… cogito ergo sum

i. A Pub where I can put up a big Screen TV- we play Block bursters (Like DDLJ, Sholey, Dil Kehta hai, Titanic, Berne Series)till 9 PM and kareoke (with chart busters – Indi Pop, Ghazals and slow as the night progresses) till 1 AM in the morning

ii. A Café with a Cyber Cube to surf, a guitar, some Fresh Brew Coffee Cup cakes,

iii. A Centre of Art along with your idea if Community Hall (which is there but I don’t know what all happens in there) but with a twisht with Photographers/ Painters/Tatoo Artists/ Music/ Writers are brought in for workshops, classes, Music sessions and classes. – But I am appehensive about the rate of Turn ins… We cannot make attendance compulsory!

I want to bring some life in the Township and want people to love being in that place and work with all the positive energies and ofcourse not think of leaving it and going away in search of quality of life! I am particularly worried about the women who accompany their husbands to stay in a remote area... their career aspirations and grandure of a city life hets compromised, what all can we do about it, keeping in mind the budgetory constraints.

Would love to hear your thoughts on the same. Thanks again for all the ideas.

Regards

Deepshikha Bhowmick

From India, Kolkata
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.