No Tags Found!

prazee
Hello HR Colleagues,
In IT Industry, how do you resolve conflicts about extended working hours? IT doesn't have strict rules for payment of overtime, approval from authority before overtime and voluntary / compulsory extended work hours. This is seen in most Information Technology companies.
How do we resolve conflicts when sometimes, employee don't wish to work extended hours but the work demands few days in a month or two to extend beyond normal working hours.
This is my first question to all on citiHR, though I have been reading the posts since a long time. Most of my questions gets answered with other threats. But I guess not much is discussed in particular about HR in IT industry?
Thank you for your help in advance,
Regards,

From India, Bangalore
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Prazee,

In your post, you have mentioned the problems about working hours in the IT industry. Are these problems of your company or is it your hypothetical post? Are you HR professionals from some IT Company?

Though IT companies are covered under shops and establishment act, many states of India have kept IT companies out of purview of Industrial Standing Orders Act. Yes, shops and establishment acts do specify rules about working hours, but considering the nature of the work, labour officers do check these strictly.

Assuming that the post is about your company matters, then would you mind to give further details of the conflict? Who are the parties involved in conflict? On Thomas Kilman Conflict Mode of Instrument, where do you assign the nature of conflict? Is it "perceived conflict" or "felt conflict"?

Overtime payment in the IT companies is unheard of. This is because the IT professionals are paid for the quantum of delivery and the payment is not for spending 'X' number of hours in the office.

Is the work of IT professionals in your company target based? Are the targets realistic? If there are targets then why they are required to work extra? What are the causes of this extra work? Have you done any productivity study? Do the software developers work during the day time and end up in taking calls from off-shore clients during the night? If yes, then how many calls are received? What is the duration and how these calls could have been avoided? If the rumblings about the extra working hours are in the air then why project manager is not able to handle at his/her level?

There are so many questions to be answered. Please give complete information of the case.

By the way, last but one paragraph of your post says "Most of my questions gets answered with other threats." Who has given this threat, would you mind to put forth the link of these posts?

Last but not the least, same paragraph says that not much is discussed about HR in IT industry. This is because other industry professionals are little outgoing and not clannish. You have asked a serious question but have withhold your name and designation, can there be better evidence of snobbishness?

Thanks,

Dinesh V Divekar

From India, Bangalore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.