anjalic
According to me many of the employers are firing the employees for the performance. If we take the situation of last year, in the month of April we used to get the candidates with 2-3 offers in hand and then try to negotiate with the employer. I also agree that when the period is bad for the employees, many employers never bother about the employees. but in these market situations few of the young employees have not learned the fact that they have to stay and fight for all the situations and they have to work smart as well as hard. Many a times this attitude hampers the performance and organisation will never keep the employees who are not on a billable assignements and whose performance is low. But quite sure that if the market picks up these employers will hire not only few of these employees but probable the one below even this mark. I think we should be mentally prepared for all such kinds of situations and plan our life in a better manner. If we see the statistics out of our total working age population only 10% are really employable with appropriate skills. So we together as society, employers and employees and yes a big role on government should make efforts on attitude development, great levels of planning and higher levels of education systems.

Would any of us keep a made who is not doing her job well? or even if the maid is working say till he/she is old, would we keep them or even give them the few extra Rs. that they have worked with us?

From India, Mumbai
Suresh_kms

Hello guys...
What is it about that we go overboard above the Infosys firing....considering the size of manpower the company has ..its very low indeed....2000 out of more than 1 lac employees...we cant expect companies like Infosys to be looking after the non performing resourses to be carried in these troubled times...its not good for the industry overall....

From India, Kochi
gs_rao1971

Dear All :

I am writing my comments with respect to the following :
"
Companies like Infosys, GE, IBM, Wipro... have such good HR Practices that we even give examples of these companies while writing our answers, and they have ultimate knowledgeable people in the company that HR takes utmost steps for employee satisfaction, empowerment, motivation etc, however I think their respective HR is competent enough to handle this by giving sabbaticals, outplacements etc rather than firing 2000 employees straight away... OD is a separate wing of HR in these big notch companies if I am "
-----------------------

I too agree that the above said companies are having good HR practices. Ofcourse, it is true that they are also Human Beings before they become HR professionals. To some extent they would try to bridge the gap. But the gap is too long and unable to catch the goal, then HR cannot do anything. If things are going good employees are enjoying the fruits. If not the reverse swing has to happen. This season is for a short period.

I suggest to all let's not worry. Nothing is going to happen. This is the best time for everyone in order to develop our skill set.

During the recession time my advise is to the people who has lost their jobs:

1) Do not focus on a particular organisation
2) Whatever the job comes we have to accept it. I am not trying to demoralise any individual. This will help us in order to survive in the market.
3) Keep our options open for trying till we get on to the right track. we never know the acquired skill when it is going to be utilised...

From India, Hyderabad
Aravindsurendran

HI, The 2% of easyout happens in most of the Majors irrrespective of the Economic conditions.Which comes under the Best Practices to achieve a vibrant workforce. Rgs, S.Aravind.
From India, Madras
Nitin4hr
I am very sad to see comments of some of my friends as they think companies are doing right thing by firing employees due to recession and calling them underperformers and blocking their career path in certain ways.

Think if any of us being fired by these big companies due to recession and being sealed as an underperformer how difficult it will be for us to find a new job.

When every one knows that companies are firing due recession and economical crunch why not employers be transparent and talk to employees and find out a way which is beneficial for both the company and the employees. Most of the employees will agree for a salary cut instead of a job cut. There are many other areas where companies can reduce the cost.

While big companies call itself a family how can some family members be thrown out in bad times.
With regards,
Nitin.

From India, Pune
neha22111986@yahoo.co.in

I completely agree with wat nitin has said.when the recession will get over and a boom will come every employee who was chucked out or anyone who has felt the pain of his near and dear one will remember the processes companies adopted.This would create the image and judgements that who a good employer is or was?
From India, Chandigarh
Nitin Jadhan
Whether it’s mentioned in Infi’s offer letter about such action? Why can’t an organization with such a hugh HR strength can recruit people who will perform by default?
From India, Pune
Rajat Joshi

Dear all,
This is an interesting post and reality check of the current situation.

Before commenting on the same; let’s understand what happened in the past five years which was a boom time and now with the Global recession and particularly we have been witnessing the slowdown in our economy. These big employers had hired large number of people in anticipation of the high number of projects coming their way which has albeit slowed down – there are projects and work happening but not in the anticipated acceleration as expected. Please remember good times don’t last forever and the bubble had to burst one day or the other which is the current situation.

Rationalizing of the manpower is the only way out only after considering the redeployment options and cost cutting measures. If you look at Infosys which had to resort to the same which is 2 % of the existing manpower is not bad per se from the broader perspectives of the current shape of the economy.

However a word caution, the companies have to handle layoffs in a very sensitive ways as once the economy turns around then these people laid off may not return to the company!.

The next three months are very crucial for India for the following factors:

General Elections which is expected to pump over Rs 10,000 crs into the economy.

IPL

Reliance find of gas in KG basin

Nano launch

Yes, there would be a recovery and there would be a realistic job expectations with correction in the salary ranges which went over roof in the last 5 years!.

Best wishes,

Rajat

From India, Pune
Suresh_kms

There is no need to be sad when we hear about job cuts in these troubled times....I think a good HR person should be equally responsible to employer and employees...tell me how many employees will stay back, who have been saved from job loss by cutting pay packages instead of outright firing, when the situation improves and other companies offer more...will they think then that I should be thankful to the company for not firing me durint recession.....no way...
From India, Kochi
aaantys
Nitin u are right ... there is no ethics at all ... and what under performance are we talking about here .. even those who have gone for medical leave and out of project and that too not their fault .. are asked to leave in a forceful way ..and there is no absolute time or test or training offered for so called non performers to prove themselves ..
we are talking about people here .. 2000 or even more ..
think about their future .. and no buffer period or warning whatsoever is given to any .. so that at least they can plan for another job.. or at least find some cash to strive on the bad times ahead ... and remember we are talking about the time wen company still have reserves ,,,,
I totally agree that .. ya true non performers .. should be fired .. but what criteria determines them non performer should be specified clearly and also should be notified earlier ..
Infosys have lost the respect it had for both its employees and from outside .. .

From India, Kochi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.