K.Ravi

kenn when u suffer u know and will not speak so big big things and type such values, honesty etc,,, once u suffer then u know,,
From India, Pune
dasp06

Chandan, Kenn,
I liked your answers.
Ravi and alike,
How will it not help if you report the demand to Anti Corruption Cell or use RTI? Though rightly said by Kenn, it will take time, but then will it not be worth it?
Mridulika,
You've expressed your 'thoda, thoda' opinion. Thanks.
Expecting more opinions from rest.
Prashant

From India, Delhi
ar_mallu
Bribery is the easy option out, but then why do we always look at the easy way out? As an HR head, what culture and values do you want to set for your team? I think the correct way to go about Govt officials is CONTACTS and not bribes. Find contacts and the work would get done fast.
Because, if you take the decision once to give bribe, where does the buck stop?

From India, Lucknow
sam_dave

Dear Ravi,

I think you should stay out of this, because the way you right it seems what ethics you follow and the honesty is at million light years away from you.

This is for all other HR People except RAVI

There is nothing like personal ethics as far as business is concerned.

I won't quote the name of organization but we all know its name and even a movie was produced on his life.

Now if we take that example the company has reached zenith with a time span of 20 years and it is still expanding. The owners are richest people among few.

So if we follow ethics there is hardly any scope of development and growth. Lets recall movie CORPORATE...

If we would have marked there are heights of the bribery and politics for, within and against the competitors.

What is the climax? Bipasha Basu ends up having miserable life the only reason that she took blame of something she never committed because she thought the company will bail her out and help her. The reason was long service that she had provided to the company.

Now, lets say if the bribe is not thrown the organization might take several months to dig out the papers and the deals it want.

Any organization would not like to buy time. The cost-effective way is to find contacts in the political party and get your work done. If there are none, bribing is not wrong unless it is undertable.

I hope this will help us gain some insights on the way the corporates work.

Regards,
Zalak Dave

From India, Madurai
abhi16aanand
I think I can provide the solution if you really are in this dilemma.
You can convince the management by showing them the criticality of document & if it is an NOC or License or Approval for something then you can do it through consultant.
Also if it is in Factory then any of the contractors can help you to get the document & see if this really is a condition then be yourself. Ask yourself what do you want?
You want to pay bribe or not? If you don’t want to pay then don’t pay. :icon1:

From India
RK Katri

Dear Prashant
Tell management what are lacking/discrepancies/facts conceal in your documents which is lying with official & if you not give him bribe what will be concecoinses.
In case you are 101% confident that documents you dealing with govt official have no chance of error/mistake/nothing conceal then you can talk to management, the said official demanding for bribe but you r confident to get work done without bribe.

From India, Ludhiana
Jayesh Yohannan
Dear Prashant,
Do one thing if you don’t mind.
Appoint one Employee(or an Ex) who belong to that govt. agency (One having good contact with PF / ESI Est.) as a External consultant on a monthly Basis. Route your work through him and get out from the Mess.
I tell you – This will help you in a larger extent.
With regards,
Jayesh Yohannan

Ash Mathew

Dear Zalak,

Was the first movie Guru? - abt Reliance?

:-)

Ok guys I am sorry, there is a serious discussion on, and I was just being playful.

In reality, my friend had faced this problem, where he to pay a huge amount to government officials to get an FPO license - inspite of giving all the right documents. We approached an other higher official, and the best part was he demanded more + 1 Biriyani in a famous hotel in Coimbatore.

So in such situations...we had no other choice.

When we fought agianst the first person and tried seeking justice, and a better person to deal with the license and verify our docs - we only realized we had to pay more.

Please correct me if I am wrong.. if in case, the Head HR says no to bribe, is there an other way out to get the approvals / procedures done smoothly ? (inspite of giving all proper docs)?

NO - DO YOU KNOW WHY? Are all corporates doing the right thing? Paying tax on time? Being the "Corporate Social Responsible'?
If a few of you have raised your hands, do you think that these few are enough to fight against such corruption?

NO... becuase... its not one person who is asking for bribe... it is just 1 out of 1000 who says no to bribe. The change must start from the corporate itself. If all corpoarte follow right procedures and say no to such things, such illegal activities will cease. But the problem is a few think why they should waste "time" over it - and pay the bribe.

And Prashant, I did not answer your question. With just 2 yrs of experience.. if I were asked to deal with such a situation, I would be emotional, and - that may cloud my judgement of the situation! :)

Thanks

From India, Madras
Ash Mathew

And everyone...relax about Ravi.
Who knows, maybe he had a worse situation. when this happens in reality for our own purpose, we will know the pain... the pain which comes from - your heart saying no,, and your mind still wanting to get that approval done, because thats what you dreamnt about and thats why you tried so hard. Just for someones signature - we will feel like a fool at the end.
Some people are able to pay, so they pay for saving time... others have to pay, else their competitor will pay and get THAT COMPETITIVE EDGE!

From India, Madras
Ash Mathew

Great info Ravi (not the Killing part) but on how to approach and take action against these corrupt people.
But sometimes they prefer gifts and dinner parties. Inspite of bveing really rich and having enough monetary support to help them have dinner everyday at a 3 star of 5 star... they still prefer others doing it for them.
That is what makes me feel bad. Its not that they dont have the money to do it so they are demanding. Its like - they have so much that even the next 3 generation can live peacefully with that money, but still demand such things from average people like us.
I think if every corporate says no to such activities, then the corrupt govt officials will start behaving the way they are meant to behave!

From India, Madras
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.