No Tags Found!

Khalid_01
Hi, Last for today. Hope u don’t find it duplicate. If duplicate, I apologise in advance. regards,
From India, Mumbai
Attached Files (Download Requires Membership)
File Type: doc how_do_i_set_up_a_new_human_resource_department_133.doc (92.0 KB, 223 views)

Deepali Singh

Hi Khalid, the questions put up in the attachment are relevant and guide to the process... dips
From India, Delhi
ANTONY_XAVIER

Khalid. you are really rocking. Thanx for the usefull stuff. Can you tell me how many maximum people required in a HR Team. Does the team size depends on the Company size or can it be handled by even 2 people irrespective of the size.
Regards

From India, Madras
Khalid_01
Hi,

I don't think there's any rule as such. however it does depend on the organisation size as the work load depends on the employee strength, HR practices and the policy of the company. However There should be a specific HR dept. and the no. of the HR peronnels depend on your policy and the work load. If you think 2 persons are able, it's ok. but they should be able to maintain all the employee/work related files as it's mandatory for IR. For reference you can check the rules framed by the indian government for different kinds of organisations and common.

Depending on the size of the company, the HR Department might be called Personnel with a manageable workforce that can be handled by a personnel manager and a small staff. For larger, more complex organizations with hundreds of departments and divisions, the task is much more demanding, taking on a life of its own.

Some companies have more than one HR Department - Corporate and Union. For example, a food service industry might have a Corporate HR Department that oversees “white collared” employees and an HR Department that oversees the “blue collar” workforce with an emphasis on labor relations. With such diverse needs, the organization will institute these two HR Departments to manage the unique needs of both union and non-union employees. Some of the many core functions of the Human Resources function involves the following: Organizational Development: To ensure its success, a company must establish a hierarchal reporting system. Picture an organizational chart with boxes representing each position starting at the top with the first and single-most important being the highest-ranking role. Following the lines, more boxes are branched off to define each department head and their direct reports. As the company expands, so will this chart. The funnel of responsibility is critical to the efficiency of a smoothly operating business entity in which there is a clearly defined understanding of who is responsible for what. This is what HR does for a company. They provide consultation to a company’s management team to identify what the company’s core business and culture is about, and proceeds to plan and map the company’s organizational infrastructure to support those needs.

Any doubt, ask me. I'll try to clear your doubt.

Regards,

Khalid

From India, Mumbai
Khalid_01
Hi Dips,

Please tell me how's your work going? Where r u now? how r u going? Are u working one one HR function at a time or few altogether. I prefer one at a time(the most important first).

Employee Recruitment and Selection Process:

There are many steps to recruiting and selecting qualified employees. First, a department head must inform the HR manager of an opening in their department. Then the HR manager must obtain the job description to formulate a Job Description Sheet for publication either internally, publicly, or both. Then HR must field the (many) responses to that job announcement to weed out the qualified from the unqualified applicants. Once that is completed, the interview process must be coordinated. This is a full time job! If one job ad generates 80 responses, there’s a good chance that only 10 applicants are highly qualified for the position. If the department’s hiring manager were to interview the other 70 less-than-qualified applicants, their department would come to a complete standstill because there would be no time for anything else! That’s where HR, a.k.a. Fort Knox, comes in. They prepare the job description, contact the newspaper, run the ad, field the calls, faxes, and emails, compile a list of potential candidates from dozens of in-coming resumes, submit their list of potential candidates to the department’s hiring manager for approval and selection, contact the chosen candidates to set up preliminary interviews, and interview the candidates! Yes, that’s right. Preliminary interviews! Although most interviews are with the hiring manager or their associates, not all applicants get to meet with the department’s hiring manager right away. It is not uncommon for a company to filter out those who fail to impress the HR manager first. For those select few who make it through, the HR manager schedules interviews between the department’s hiring manager and potential candidates, and follows up with the hiring process to establish the new hire with the company. Not unlike the screening process for American Idol, a job seeker needs to perform their best to impress the “judges.” Employee Training & Development: As a company and the requirements of a position evolve, a company needs to take certain measures to ensure a highly skilled workforce is in place. The Human Resources Department oversees the skills development of company’s workforce, acting as an in-house training center to coordinate training programs either on-site, off-site, or in the field. This might include on-going company training, outside training seminars, or even college, in which case an employee will receive tuition reimbursement upon earning a passing grade.

Employee Compensation Benefits:

This covers salaries, bonuses, vacation pay, sick leave pay, Workers’ Compensation, and insurance policies such as medical, dental, life, and 401k. The Human Resources Department is responsible for developing and administering a benefits compensation system that serves as an incentive to ensure the recruitment and retainment of top talent that will stay on with the company. When an employee is hired, the company’s Benefits Coordinator is required to meet with employees one-on-one or in small group settings to explain their benefits package. This often requires an employee to make an informed decision and to provide their signature for processing purposes

Employee Relations:

With the increased rise in unethical practices and misbehaviors taking place in today’s workplace such as age, gender, race, and religion discrimination and sexual harassment, there needs to be mandatory compliance with governing rules and regulations to ensure fair treatment of employees. In short, employees need to know they have a place to turn when a supervisor abuses his or her authority in anyway. Whether corporate or union, the HR Department will get involved to act as arbitrator and liaison between legal entities, regulatory agencies such as Human Rights, supervisors (who might be falsely accused), and employees to properly address and resolve the issue at hand.

Policy Formulation:

Regardless of the organization’s size, company policies and procedures must be established to ensure order in the workplace. These policies and procedures are put in place to provide each employee with an understanding of what is expected of them. Similarly, these policies and procedural guidelines will assist hiring managers in evaluating their employee’s performance. These policies can be established company-wide or used to define each department’s function. It is Human Resource’s responsibility to collaborate with department managers on the formulation of these policies and regulations to ensure a cohesive organization. A common practice is the development and implementation of an Employee Procedure Manual or Employee Handbook that is either distributed to each employee at the time of hire or a master copy allocated one to a department.

HRIS – Human Resources Information Systems:

To keep track of the vast amount of data, a human resources department must have a good HRIS in place to automate many functions such as planning and tracking costs, monitoring and evaluating productivity levels, and the storing and processing of employee records such as payroll, benefits, and personnel files.

Regards,

Khalid

From India, Mumbai
Deepali Singh

Hi Khalid,
Thanks again for giving simple inputs.
well, now things seem to be coming on the track, Day b4 yesterday i talked to my boss regarding giving me some work and to give some time towards HRD also.
as i told, right now I am working for recruitments and today i am searching and shortlisting resumes for further process, after that i'll be showing them to marketing head to further shortlist them so that I contact those candidates and communicate them regarding the interviews, den i'll schedule the interviews according to the convenience of both the parties and then finally the interview..
Well, right now this is going on in my job..
How are you??
How are the things going at your ends??
Regards,
Dips

From India, Delhi
Khalid_01
Hi dips,
Nice to c ur msg. Everything is fine here too except the weather. It's too hot here. It was so nice in Bangalore. I really enjoyed there. But u know i really hate heat that's why i hated Delhi also. But it's my fate. I'll try to go back to Blr again after some time. I'll give you someinput about interview/recruitment in my next msg. U know my cousins are there in Delhi. One is Senior HR in Sahara airlines and another in Satyam in Marketing. But i'm here.
Regards,
Khalid

From India, Mumbai
sarmadevdutta@ntpc.co.in
Hi Deepali, what r u exactly looking for??? is it about HRD aspects or the Core HR Functions?? if u could explicitly define ur requirments, i’ll try to be of some help to u. cheers, dev

sarmadevdutta@ntpc.co.in
Hi Deepali

The total gamut of HR begins with manpower Planning and ends with the separation of the employee.

1. Manpower Planning is usually done to identify your furture manpower requirements based on the company's expansion plan, the retirement profile of the existing manpower and the skill base anticipated in future based on the core fuination of the organsiation. U need to cary out Job Evaluation to detemine all th facts in repsect of every job i.e basically to carry out time and motion study. In simple terms categorise all the jobs by undertnsing the work flow. design the levels and the carer pattern for an individual. Once u identify that, the next step is to source people from within i.e laterally or from outside.

2. Recrutiment /Selection - Again the next step will be to recruit ppl. u can take the delp of the placement consultants to economicaly carry out the process. Initial rounds can be done by the consultant and the final rounds with your top officials juss to make a match with your requirments. you can decide whether u require freshers or expernced stuff based on the levels u have.

rest is next posting..

dev

new delhi

Khalid_01
Hi Dips,

You asked about temporary employee sometime back i guess. YOu need to care about contract labour act enacted by Goct. of India in 1970. the excerpts of the act is

Contract Labour (Regulation and Abolition) Act, 1970

LEGISLATIVE FRAMEWORK

The Government of India has been deeply concerned about the exploitation of workers under the contract labour system. With a view to remove the difficulties of contract labour and bearing in mind the recommendations of various commissions and committees and the decisions of the Supreme Court, particularly in the case of Standard Vacuum Refining Company in 1960, the Contract Labour (Regulation and Abolition) Act was enacted in 1970. This Act seeks to regulate the employment of contract labour in certain establishments and to provide for its abolition under certain circumstances.

Contract Labour, by and large, is neither borne on pay roll or muster roll nor is paid wages directly. The establishments, which farm out work to contractors, do not own any direct responsibility in regard to their labourers. Generally, the wage rates to be paid and observance of working conditions are stipulated in agreements but in practice they are not strictly adhered to.

The Main Features of the Act

The main features of the Act can be summarised thus:-

The Act applies to every establishment in which 20 or more workmen are employed or were employed on any day on the preceding 12 months as contract labour and to every contractor who employs or who employed on any day of the preceding 12 months 20 or more workmen. It does not apply to establishments where the work performed is of intermittent or casual nature. The Act also applies to establishments of the Government and local authorities as well.

The Central Government and the State Governments are required to set up Central Advisory Board and State Advisory Boards, which are authorised to constitute Committees as deemed proper. The functions of the Boards are advisory, on matters arising out of the administration of the Act as are referred to them. The Boards carry out the functions assigned to them under the Act.

The establishments covered under the Act are required to be registered as the Principal Employer. Likewise, every contractor to whom the Act applies is required to obtain a licence and not to undertake or execute any work through contract labour except under and in accordance with the licence issued.

The Act has provided for establishment of canteens. For the welfare and health of contract labour, provision is made for restrooms, first aid, wholesome drinking water, latrines and urinals. In case of failure on the part of the contractor to provide such facilities, the Principal Employer is made liable to provide the amenities.

The contractor is required to pay wages and a duty is cast on him to ensure disbursement of wages in the presence of the authorised representative of the Principal Employer. In case of failure on the part of the contractor to pay wages either in part or in full, the Principal Employer is liable to pay the same. In case the contract labour perform same or similar kind of work as regular workmen, they will be entitled to the same wages and service conditions as regular workmen as per the Contract Labour (Regulation and Abolition) Central Rules, 1971.

The Act makes provision for the appointment of Inspecting staff, for maintenance of registers and records, for penalties for the contravention of the provisions of the Act and Rules made thereunder and for making Rules for carrying out the purpose of the Act. In the central sphere, officers of the CIRM have been appointed as Inspectors.

Apart from the regulatory measures provided under the Act for the benefit of the contract labour, the ‘appropriate government’ under section 10(1) of the Act is authorised, after consultation with the Central Board or State Board, as the case may be, to prohibit, by notification in the official gazette, employment of contract labour in any establishment in any process, operation or other work.

Sub-section (2) of Section 10 lays down sufficient guidelines for deciding upon the abolition of contract labour in any process, operation or other work in any establishment and the ‘appropriate government’ while taking action under this Section will have to take an overall picture of the industry carrying on similar activities. The guidelines furnished under sub-section (2) oblige the ‘appropriate government’ to consider, as relevant data, the material to which it must have regard. The Central Government on the recommendations of the Board has abolished contract labour system in a number of jobs in different industries and so far 28 notifications have been issued.

Try finding full details of this law and others.

And also go through the wages act-1936 carefully. In fact you need to go through all the acts and work accordingly. what u've to maintain u'll know.

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.