Gianim23

Hi :

I agree and appreciate the inputs provided by Sundaram, Ankita & Saswata.

I hope Harshita picks some good lessons from this discussion thread. I personally recommend Harshita to scale up and adopt a mature & professional behaviour if you wish to succeed professionally.

It is perfectly fine if you have chosen to quit in a day probably because you are lucky to have other offers hence you feel it doesnt matter to just move on. Let me share a real life incident about myself.

While I was pursuing my graduation, I had got an assignment with a reputed company to assist the Executive Assistant of the Chairman & Managing Director. They were aware I was studying and were flexible about my timing/leave plan etc. I worked in this company for around a week and quit without informing since I felt that the work was boring bcoz I was given filing work and some bit of drafting of letters etc. I received a followup call from the company but I said that I have discontinued (least realising how immature and unprofessional I was behaving). Four years down the line I completed MBA (HR) and was seeking a job. Incidently I got an interview opportunity in the same company and I was excited to grab this chance. I did very well in the interview and got positive indications that I was among the top 2 candidates. The job profile & package was too good for a beginner like me. I finished my process and was leaving. Accidently I bumped into a lady who I thought was almost a stranger. The next day I received a call from the Executive Assistant and she spoke to me. Offcourse I did not forget I worked with the same company early but since it was just a week so I thought noone would remember. The EA spoke nicely telling me that it was good to see me yday and enquired if the interview was good etc. Welllll the call ended on a positive note and my chances of clicking this dream job apparently negative.

Believe me it was a lesson of a life time for me. Someone rightly said it is a small world and we could bump into anyone anytime. Hence do not damage the path which you may have to travel sometime in future. Please quit like a mature professional. Speak to HR and inform them your decision and ask them if you need to complete the exit formalities. Since you were there just 1 day they may not insist you to serve 2 months notice and may waive it off but will remember you as a mature professional.

ALL THE BEST !!!

- Gia

From India, Pune
NK SUNDARAM

Excellent input by Mr. Gia ! World is shrinking in terms of communication and it is very easy to access and get to know the background. Let us not take decisions in a hurry and repent at leisure.
From India
Arun Kumar Maitra

It is your duty to resign as per the termination clause contained in yout terms of your appointment letter.If no formal appointment letter was issued, you can terminate the contract at any time simply by serving a notice.However, if you leave without issuing any notice, then after giving you 2/3 notices ,they may treat you as absconding and may ultimately terminate your contract.
From India, Delhi
saswatabanerjee

Gia,
Your case was a very important lesson for people
(pity you had to learn it the hard way)
But think of a case where you would go to another company and then find someone who knew of what you have done in the original case and you lose an opportunity. That unfortunately is not considered by most people when they walk off without information or notice

From India, Mumbai
Raj Kumar Hansdah

Dear Harshita

Thanks for your disclosure.

I agree with the opinions and observation preceding my post; esp. that from Ankita, who has been constantly following-up your issue.

I shall be brief and to the point :
It seems that despite having a few job offers; you went to this company and 'joined' just to find out if it "suits" you, in which case you could have continued.
Please go ahead, meet the HR concerned in person, and tell him exactly, the TRUTH.

Accept your mistake and apologize genuinely and profusely for the inconvenience you have caused to the company and others (you also prevented a NEEDY candidate who could have fit the shoe).

He will ask you to submit your resignation - incorporating a written apology and appeal for waiver of notice pay.

No good HR or company would hold it against you - as it would reflect badly upon them and also be bad in law (to allow work for a day and penalize two months salary in lieu of notice pay).

So, your problem is solved; you should feel free of any stress henceforth.
Now, you shall again be going to the next company(since you have a couple of offer letters in hand) ; and doing the same thing - if it does not suit you !!

If this is likely the case; it is better that you seek to know - how to evaluate a job/position/company to ascertain whether it meets your individual requirements; rather than indulging in such mis-adventure.

Warm regards.

From India, Delhi
Gianim23

Yes Saswata indeed it was a lesson learnt the hardway.
Luckily I had my mentor who guided me to meet the CMD and appologise personally and mend relations with the EA as well. I had to really work hard to rebuild my credibility with the EA and going forward I even requested the EA to permit me to give her as my reference in my future employment. Since she was a great professional she did pass on positive feedback during my ref checks. Today 9 years down the line I am happy I corrected myself and ensured to build and retain my credibility whenever I quit any company. I am very fortunate to work with 3 of the tier 1 IT companies in our country but never forget my initial months of struggle and this very important lesson of my life.
- Gia

From India, Pune
M.J.SUBRAMANYAM

DEAR SUNDRAM,
What you say is correct and stands to reason.I fully endorse your stand and views. We should try to project the actual position rather than give hypothetical suggestion or blindly support such an unwanted behaviour.
M.J.SUBRAMANYAM

From India, Bangalore
faziq
Dear Harshi,
Please note that you are tied with 2 month notice period. Company's has the right to ask you to pay the 2 month salary (in lieu payment) for your quitting, instead you are refuse to pay this case goes to court. (bear in mind that you have signed the letter of appointment)
Instead of left the company without informing, it's much better you discuss with HR than under the company's discretion they may allow you to go peacefully.
In general, most of the company's can tolerate if you are really insist to quit. Because they don't want to keep the unproductive employee. But then, it show your weakness of assessing the company's before you join them.
Please don't take risk that can ruin your future.

From Malaysia, Seremban
reetugour

Dear Harshita,
Generally companies will not go for legal action and in your case, you been there for a single day. if you have good opportunities in your hand definitely you will select the best one.
This had happened with me 2 times but I had intimated to the employer on next day.
and about 2 months salary termination clause, these type of clauses always mentioned in appointment letters for employee and employers benefit, so that every side have sufficient time to search their requirements.
Being a HR, we can also understand the problem from employer side that is why rather than abscond give a justify reason and leave.
Thanks

From India, Delhi
M.J.SUBRAMANYAM

HI GIA,
YOUR EXPERIENCE REALLY AN EYE OPENER FOR ALL NEW HIRES OF THE COMPANY,.
THERE IS A SAYING, "PEOPLE ARE HIRED FOR THEIR SKILLS, BUT FIRED FOR THEIR ATTITUDE" .
In corporate world, the attitude matters very much. We have to rotate our mind 360 degrees and think in all directions before taking a decision, as our entire future depends on that single move! A lot of 'Youngsters' as I have seen in my experience, are rash, abrasive and restless and don't think of the future consequences. They think they know everything and they need no consultation or advice from any body. It is only later they realize that they have made a bad move! At that time, it will be too late to mend things.
What is required is mental maturity or as Daniel Goleman calls it, the high level of 'emotional intelligence' and consult better informed people before taking such drastic step.

M.J. SUBRAMANYAM

From India, Bangalore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.