No Tags Found!

r.vijey

Hi,
This is not a period to say no to any boss. Its better you understand why your boss has given this task specifically after your performance assessment.
Take up the challenge there are lot of possibilities to work on grievances, employee relations and much more with this canteen work. More over you will also get some time to equip yourselves for next position in the ladder.
Its not so good for a HR to say no instead handle it differently and prove that you are worth. I believe you will understand my stand.
Regards
Vijay

From India, Coimbatore
santosh.sinha@capgemini.c
Be Positive and accept the new responsibility as a new challenge of your carrrier, otherwise the attitude or fear can not handle will create a new problem in your future and always rember one thing PAITAIANCE IS THE BEST SENSE OF LIFE.
From India
msaleem33
Hi,
Even I'm working in HR handling almost all the responsibiities including staff restuarant. Though I am given addition tasks and responsibilities, I do not refuse to take charge but ask mr Director of HR to provide me a person to assist me in order to have a smooth opertaion. This way I think you can take charge and make use of the opportunity which will be a plus point for you.
Regards,
Saleem

Jean.Martin.Amagna@diageo
Chum!!
Courage. I don't really know what are your big hopes, your expectations and your next moving careers options. But i am sure that you have discussed this with your boss who may have assured you his own support. If all this are evident, it may be the starting point of the implementation of your development plan. Taking a new responsibility will not remove you anything, contrary, it will add lot and lot skills that you are not expecting. Don't throw away this opportunity. Take the challenge and demonstrate that you are able. I'm sure Being tomorrow a HRD also means you have to understand many face in HR management ...like manage a canteen.
Please don't throw away this GREAT opportunity.
Jean Martin

From United Kingdom
N Rajesh
Dear CHUM,
Going through your mail I feel you are worth more than what is being offered as of now, but imagine there are n numbers of people look out for opportunities and ready to prove in whatever they are offered.
My friend we feel you are luck and also capable of taking this additional responsibility other wise I don’t think any Manager would have offered you this. Don’t give any chance to your Management at this juncture.
A Manager of mine used say “If you are forced to take up a job of a cleaner, just do it better than anybody else".
Be a role model in whatever you do! Bring new changes and make it the best place of your organisation.
The rest will follow you…
Regards,
Rajesh

Arokianathan
Hi,
Please accept whatever role you are been offered it is not step down it is step up because you are incharge of health of several families and ensure you serve your boss at the canteen in the most respectfull manner.
Apologise to your boss and thank him for giving you another good opportunity to work in the hotel industry and tell him you are going to get an ISO certification for the canteen.
Don't waste your time and energy by talking about him to others or arguing with him, your boss must be undergoing an emotional breakdown and the result are these actions...sleep over the issues for fifteen days and you will find that you have been a winner.
Best Wishes - Arokian

From India, Madras
Haresh Sharma
Yes, canteen management is a real challange and man managment. Managing it successfully and improving standards will naturally boost your position. It should not be I don't want or I don't like, think it as whether I can or I cannot. You will get your answer.
From India, Delhi
harshat
hii i m harshat
i m doeacc
o level student but im very much confused abt my carrier
that shall i do doeacc a and b level or ICWA .
IF I PREFER
DOEACC
THAN IS their ny chances of geting a god job .
or if i do ICWA IS THEIR any chances
to have re benefit
plzz
suggest me the perfect way .
now i m apearing
B.com .

From India, Calcutta
Raj Kumar Hansdah

Dear Friends.... (Chum, Dada, Ash et al)

I read these postings today itself and found myself in the thick of action. Very very active posts. If you all dont mind; let me put forth my viewpoints :

* CANTEENS (as provided for in Factories Act) is undoubtedly, an HR function. it is clubbed with either IR or Employee Services function.

* A big PSU where I had worked earlier had 54 factories registered within the Plant area and consequently, same number of Canteens.

* There was a full fledged Canteen Deptt. headed by a Senior Manager; under IR;

* There was an Apex Co-operative Society (company sponsored) with a number of member Co-operative societies, for supplying items to the Canteen - having annual turnover of 22 Cr. (Just imagine the magnitude of operation.) This organization was headed by a DY. G. M.

* Ever been to an Indian Army canteen ? Then you must be aware of its multi-disciplinary activities. The army men can get not only ration and household item but also gadgets and motor vehicles!

* These days many companies (esp. in Bangalore, Gurgaon etc. in the IT companies) are having small shops inside the campus which stocks daily needs items, so that their employees dont waste time outside.

* So you can always raise the bar for quality of service leading to employee satisfaction/delight/engagement.

Therefore, dear Chum, although I guess yours is a smaller organization, still don't under-estimate or under-respect the task at hand. In any case, I dont think you have any idea about the task itself, right? You are not being asked to cook or serve food :-D

Your task would be basically:

* PROCUREMENT (of materials at fair competitive prices);

* to look after OPERATION (to ensure adherence to hygienic standards, economy of operation, reduction of wastages, Manning -cooking & serving; Timings & Schedules etc),

* QUALITY (of food & drinks - hot/cold)

* Informally monitor Organisation Climate/ IR - workers don't have closed door cabins and canteen is the place from where trouble starts; it is also a source of 'grapevine'

* Another suggestion is - don't ask for an assistant at the outset - it will undermine your capabilities as a capable, resurceful manager.

* Finally please remember, as an HR person one can not flatly refuse to attend to certain components of HR like Canteen services - one can't be a cherry-picker.

* In lighter vein : there are many other perks as well - you can have tea, coffee, cold drinks, snacks etc. - as many times as you want, ABSOLUTELY FREE, without anyone objecting to it. After all you'll have to TASTE food to ensure quality. :razz:

Wishing you success in your additional DELIGHTFUL assignment. :)

From India, Delhi
rinky_hr
Chum,
I agree with you that management does not pay much heed towards Canteen Operations but you have an opportunity to change their attitude. There is huge scope of value addition in this area ....which will be visible to everyone. Take up the challenge , change the system and then go for a feedback survey from employees.... good appraisal is not away... you will have facts to proove yourself.
all the best
Rinky

Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.