kank
Many Thanks to everybdy, I am really delighted the way everyone has given thr comments n suggestions, it’s a gr8 help.

My SPECIAL THANKS to Ash, Badhu, TS, Naveen.

This t first time I have submitted my query in this kind of portal; I am grateful and obliged t way everyone has gvn the support.

I am going to stick in HR only n surly put my best.

Cheers, Kank :icon1:

From India, Delhi
NATESAN.M

Hai Kank,
Best Wishes. As Asha and Badlu expressed, either HR or finance or other fields will come under any type of negative or positive hikes in its life. Since your Financee has lost her job only does not mean that HR is waste. Tothe best of my knowledge, HR is nothing but a strong foundation of Clerical activities with various policies and procedures on Man Management. This is an excellent field where you can mingle with thousand of people. HR is a strong area where all other people has to enter and go.
But, day to day knowledge and updations are must in the area of HR since a small mistake may lead to legal issues.
People in this area are loosing their jobs either because of incorrect application of proper rules and regulations or failure by themselves.
So, keep belief on whatever area you may be. Belief and trustworthiness is the key for success in whatever area you may going to deploy yourself.

From India, Coimbatore
mila1406
Hi Kank,
Before you choose your career analyze whats your line of interest. You cannot follow someone because it has brought success to one. What applies to them may not apply to you.
Make a self analyzation and see what you are good at, what you can focused on, what interest you the most and then get into innovative thinking. Start working from there.
Ofcourse money is a primary requirement however get into something which you like doing it.
Mila.

From India, Madras
sunita123

Any profession will have its own pros and cons.
We cannot judge with a temporary failure.As such things are not working out for anybody across the globe, so your fiancee should have patience.
Do u think that software professionals have gud time either???????
Many of them have been laid off without prior notice .............
In this time of recession , whtever course u take up will only fetch you results post 2009.
You should select a course, only if you can do justice to that course otherwise back off and think of something else.
GUD LUCK!

From India, Hyderabad
Rahul Kumar

Dear Kank & Pragya,

HR is a noble profession and a widely accepted function, globally. It is worth making a career in HR anyday though much depends on an individual inclination, interest and aptitude towards the function.

In today's downturn/recessionary economic conditions, most organizations (especially the small and midsize ones) may expect HR to play a multi-functional/tasked role. Top management/CEOs/COOs may view HR to be another department with mundane processes which is distant from contributing to Company bottomlines/growth/profits.

Less visionary Companies tend to give low emphasis/importance to HR and some other functions especially in a downturn and instead give greater emphasis to Sales, Operations, etc that are seen to directly contribute to revenues.

They tend to feel that HR can be handled as a maintenance function for the time being by a set of junior HR professionals or by personnel from other "more important' departments temporarily to save on costs of paying senior professionals. A better way to handle the situation is by lending one's hand at multiple tasks/functions as far as is possible to prove one's utility in such trying times.

For being in HR, the basic tenets are affinity for people and their concerns & growth, penchant for processes, interest/ability in defining/formulating policies/guidelines, acquired sobriety and maturity in decision making. As you grow, you need to acquire an advisory/participatory/reconciliatory/quasi-judicial role.

From a long term perspective, you can make a wonderful career in HR and grow right up to the top depending on your abilities. Majoring in this function, I have grown to the CEO's position with general management inclination and exhibition of requisite skills/leadership. Others can do so as well. The scope is unlimited.

Your fiancee not getting a job is temporary and is a factor of the present job-loss situation notwithstanding his competency. This is a passing phase. You should not derive a conclusion that the function has low scope or demand.

Job losses are rampant and happening in every industry and every function across the globe. Companies are panting for survival and there is a gradual demand-recession.

If you are genuinely interested in the function, go for it anyday without any qualms from a long term career perspective. Recessions will come and go. Your career and functional expertise will stay on for life. If you have not landed yourself with a job, don't worry. Better days will come. If you are, though, not interested in the function, do not go for it. Instead, pursue your line of interest.

In HR, try to focus on being of utility/multi-utility to an organization that you are seeking to get into. The underlying success factor is " how useful are you to an organization". Multi-tasking or multi-functional expertise/inclination are definitely an attractive proposition to a future employer. Try developing these or at the least, evince keen interest in shouldering additional responsibilities.

The general thinking is to make employees redundant in functions that are not direct contributors to the immediate survival of the organization. Even Sales guys not achieving targets are being fired.

Remember, a lot of people are waiting at the fence to get back a job that they have lost. Not just you....or your fiancee....

All the best,

Rahul
[IMG]https://www.citehr.com/misc.php?do=email_dev&email=Y29vcmRpYWxAeWFob28uY2 8uaW4=[/IMG]

Is HR really worth? pls advice

Hello everybody,

I am doing PGDHRM from distance learning but now I am thinking that I have chosen a wrong option coz my fiancée is a HR Manager with 10 yrs of exp. and lost his job 1 yr back and still his search is continued…..

I would request you to please advice is HR is really worth in current scenario.

Looking forward for your valuable reply.

Thanks & Regards

Kank

Hi,
even i am looking for a job in HR but not able to find and it is not about money or something but HR was the kind of profile which i always wanted so went ahead to do my MBA in HR. but now i am struggling hard to get the right kind of profile. can any one help????????
thanks
pragya

From India, New Delhi
dattashaoli
Dear all
It is a very interesting topic discussed here. I firmly belive that if you love the profession of HR, no matter what happens you will stick to it. I believe that persistence always pays:).
I have also lost my job in this recession. I was working in Reliance Life Insurance in a generalist profile for a period of 8 months. Now am looking for a HR job in Kolkata. Kindly let me know if any of you know of any HR opening in Kolkata.
Regards
Shaoli

From India, Calcutta
MAULIK PATEL
Dear Kank,

First of all I appreciate the feedback of Asha and Badlu as well as of Ravi also.

No moment is permanent in life. It is like a river water - You cannot touch the same water second time as it goes ahead.

Certain things are controllable certain are not:

First of all, Please justify your level of understanding for HRM. How much value is added by DISTANCE LEARNING.

Focus on your studies, get the right break for grand / summer project. Do it wholeheartely and it will add to high value to your CV

Please be specific Squre box can fix properly in square ring onle and round in round.

Define your capabilities and just go for it.

Ravi might have faced some problems hence hes response is NO. He might be right at his place if there is a logic behind it.

In my opinion HR is like a catalyst, Change agent, spokes person, well wisher for the company and that is needed. There are very few depts. that provides +ve energy to others. HR is one of that.

Organization will need
1. People
2. Skill enhancement of people for higher performance
3. Performance Analysis of people to evaluate performers and non performers
4. Succession planning of the high potential / performing people.
5. IR related issues etc.

You just have to find a cause to be in HR not a reasons for not to be in HR.

Be wise and Be wiser always. Thats the mantra to be part of HR

Maulik

rashidmusa

Except Badlu and Ash rest of the remarks are just "Fill in the blank to overload this response and serven of citehr" I don’t find interesting in rest of responses. Rashid
From Saudi Arabia
tajsateesh

Hello Kank,
Thanks for thinking I contributed to your better understanding of your predicament.

I only hope you now BEGIN to implement Asha's, Badhu's and other inputs and shape up your views on HR, or for that matter every other profession on the face of the earth.

Recently I read in National Geographic about a person whose love was to just roam about in the African forests and collect samples of anything & everything that interested him [happened way back in the 1930s]. I am sure most of us...me included...would be thinking like many others who did @ that point of time that: who is this madcap...doosra kaam kuch nahi hai kya?
But just FYI, what we now use so casually-& w/o knowing the background- is something called the velcro fastener [it's in use in so many things these days] was the result of one of the sample insects that he brought [can get into details if you are really keen]. To cut a long story short, first & foremost, decide which line you LOVE to be in, and then STICK to it. No matter what. All other situations will look very small when you are in the career that you love. [maybe in a way, it's similar to one's love of a person...you stick to that person even if her/his nose is crooked...isn't it?] Who knows...maybe one day all of us would hear about someone called Kank who contributed in a big way to the field of HR....mind you, this is ONLY half in jest.

Rgds,
Taj Sateesh [thought I should type my full name, since the acronym of TS seems to be getting more known:huh:]

From India, Hyderabad
ommygautam

hi every one !!good evening!! myself O. B. Gautam n' working as a HR Officer in a concern. i have a friend named Mr. Lakhwinder Singh M.D. of "SPACE INDIA 'The HR Solution" which is provides the Placement Services. he have an urgent requirentment in a MNC Company ( Heinz India Limited, MAnifacturare of Complane, Tomato Catchup, Nycle, and Glucon D ) for HR Dept. ( Manager & Asstt. MAnager both ). so if any person who is intrested for above maintoined position then pl. send his/her Resume on or contact on +919897645659, +919837049979.
From India, Rudarpur
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.