No Tags Found!

manasa-gowda

Hello All, Need to know about Sandwich Leave policy, if an employee takes sick leave on Saturday and if company has a Public Holiday on Monday, will Sunday be considered as Sandwich Leave, please suggest.
From India, Bengaluru
vmlakshminarayanan

Hi,

Sandwich will apply only if the employee availed leave on Tuesday. In this case Saturday employee took leave, Sunday weekly off, Monday declared Holiday. So Sunday should be considered as weekly off only.

From India, Madras
manasa-gowda

Hello All,

I'm a HR consultant in one of the IT Consulting firm and i need to understand about Sandwich leave policy. We work for 6 days in a week and we have this sandwich leave policy in place in or company and as per that policy if any employee apply for leave on Saturday and if the extend their leave on Monday as well then Sunday is considered as leave. But now i've a case wherein Employee has applied for leave on Saturday and Monday we had holiday for Ramzan, so in this case will Sunday will be calculated as leave or not.
Can you please help me to understand how this work

From India, Bengaluru
manasa-gowda

Thank you for the clarification
From India, Bengaluru
Madhu.T.K

If Saturday was a HOLIDAY and the employee took a leave on Monday, no way the sandwich policy will apply. This is because he did not take leave on Saturday but was a holiday for the entire organisation. Sandwiching will take place only when there are holidays or weekly off in between two LEAVES. Here he has taken only one leave, ie, on Monday. Suppose, if the employee was on LEAVE on Friday, then the Holiday of Saturday and Weekly Off of Sunday would be lost for him as sandwich.

Note: Sandwich policy should not be applied arbitrarily. When the number of leave 'earned' or credited is based on the number of days' work performed by an employee is the preceding year, you cannot sandwich the leaves.

From India, Kannur
manasa-gowda

We work for 6 days in a week not 5 days and Employee has applied Sick leave on Saturday and On Monday she has applied for optional holiday for Ramzan. So in this case will Sandwich leave will be applicable
From India, Bengaluru
Madhu.T.K

Yes, my answer was on the same presumption only.

When was your Holiday for Ramzan? Saturday or Monday? It should be on Saturday. Was that pre announced? You are expected to exhibit the holidays of any year in the month of December itself. Now, if the employee without knowing that Saturday being a holiday, had applied a leave (sick leave) you can reject it saying that the day is not a working day and an employee is not supposed to take a leave on a holiday. And when she applies for a leave on Monday, how does Sunday become a sandwich leave? No.

You may see the things in a practical way. The HR is not a detective and fault finding mechanism but should be sympathetic towards the employees. If you had exhibited the holiday list well in advance, the employee would not have applied for leave on Saturday. It is upto the management whether compensatory holiday should be allowed or not and I will not grant any compensatory holiday if any employee was on leave on a day which was declared as a holiday. Now, if the employee was on leave on Saturday and he was granted compensatory holiday on Monday, then also the sandwich policy will not apply there because Monday is not a leave but you had given him a holiday.

Coming to the same question, was Saturday a working day for the organisation? If yes, you cannot mark a leave on that day. As such, if he takes a leave on Monday, the Sunday will be weekly off and cannot be marked as leave.

From India, Kannur
manasa-gowda

Thanks for the clarification, just on a lighter note I'm not trying to find any fault here, the only reason I brought up this topic in this forum to learn more and address it fairly rather than making assumptions. However, your response has completely clarified the Sandwich Leave Policy for me.
From India, Bengaluru
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.