No Tags Found!

Anonymous
Hello expert,

I want clarity and instruction about maternity leave.
I am an employee in MNC company since 4 years, I want to start my maternity leave from first week of September 2022 but my company failed to renew the project I am working for and project end date is 31st August 2022. The company has sent us a redeployment letter with 90 days notice from 2nd August 2022, according to which you can be reassigned to another project or your service will end on 30th October 2022. When I reached HR she said we can't give you full maternity benefit as we have already sent you notice. .
I am getting only one month instead of 90 days to find other projects and now no one will hire me in the project as I am going on leave in a month so why will they bear my expenses.
How do I get full maternity benefits and keep my job?

From India, Pune
KK!HR

This is a violation of the Maternity Benefit Act 1961 and a complaint to the Labour Officer of the local area where your unit is located would bring all of them to sense and act as per law. Before that, you can make a formal application mentioning the pregnancy and seek benefits as admissible in law.
From India, Mumbai
srivastavacmlal

Dear Anonymous Citehr Member,

At the outset I shall wish best of fortune and excellent health to you as you are entering into a new phase of precious motherhood in your life. So first take care to maintain good health and have the least mental botheration. It will bring you happiness and better luck in your future prospects.

Before I begin to write my professional opinion on your query, I shall refer to the universal saying that - "Everything happens for the best." Therefore let us be content within ourselves as patience is the path for achieving success in life.

Now coming to your query, it is understood that you are engaged on contractual employment which is renewable on availability of projects. The company has been unable to obtain renewal of the project on which you are working and the end date is 31st August 2022. The company has given you 3 months' notice for reassignment / termination. But incidentally you plan to avail Maternity Leave (ML) from September 2022 that means you are in advance stage of pregnancy.

3. It is not clear whether you have applied for ML in writing or just had a talk with HR. Since you have already received a notice therefore you can give consent for reassignment to another project w.e.f. 1st September 2022, and also apply in writing / by email for your ML. Let the HR give you a reply in writing. Please remember to remain courteous and polite in your communication.

4. Filing a complaint with Labour Dept. is your legal entitlement and it will entail a protracted battle between you and the company. Though you may win the legal battle, but it may not be positive feedback for your future employment.

5. So I suggest to take care of your precious motherhood and shed all worries and fears. The newcomer will bring better luck in your life.

6. When you receive the reply of HR to your ML application, you can contact me for further course of action.

God bless your life and family.

Chandramani Lal Srivastava
Master Consultant: Service matters, IR and Contract Management

New Delhi/Saturday/06.08.2022/10:55am

From India, New Delhi
umakanthan53

The cause of action giving rise to a claim for maternity benefit under the Maternity Benefit Act,1961 by a woman in continuous employment of not less than 80 days during the preceding 12 months period in the establishment is delivery, medical termination of pregnancy or miscarriage. As per the definition clause u/s 3(h) of the Act, "maternity benefit" is the leave of absence with wages as set out in section 5(1) of the Act which is of course different in respect of the nature of the cause of action for the claim. Therefore, to stake a claim for maternity benefit under the Act, the woman must be in the service of the establishment on the date of the cause of action for the claim. This is the legal position in normal circumstance.

However, the provisions of section 12 of the Act envisage certain special circumstances involving the termination of employment of the pregnant woman at the instance of her employer by way of dismissal or discharge.
Section 12 (1) imposes a blanket ban on any orders of dismissal or discharge of the woman or any notice thereof when she is already absent from work according to the provisions of the Act.
Section 12 (2)(a) of the Act extends a concession that the woman shall not be deprived of her maternity benefit if she happens to be dismissed or discharged anytime during her pregnancy.

The narrative of the thread compels one to indulge in a presumption that the poster was not a regular employee of the MNC but only a project-based fixed term contract employee. What I am able to understand is that only if the poster is not willing to accept the redeployment arranged by the MNC, her services would come to an end on 30-10-2022. Therefore, not being carried away by the informal observation of the HR about the proportionate maternity benefit, first the poster can just give her willingness for redeployment. Perhaps, the HR might have misread the employment benefits available to an employee on FTC basis. Maternity Benefit of 26 weeks leave of absence with wages for delivery should be granted in full and not on proportionate basis.

By doing as suggested supra, you can take the protection of the entire provisions of section 12 of the Maternity Benefit Act,1961 in the event of denial.

From India, Salem
Anonymous
Dear Experts,

Thank you for your valuable inputs. Below is more clarification about the situation:
I am confirmed/permanent employee of company and working for 3.5 years for one project or you can say customer of company.
Company is offering enrollment for other project on availability basis but I am getting only 30days to get availability information, internal interview and posting instead 90 days.
I will defiantly try my best for reallocation in another project but afraid why they will accept me as I am going on leave in a month. We are 12 team members who were looking for relocation so they will get priority as per my assumption because I will be additional cost for the new project.
I am going to write to HR for requesting full Maternity leave benefit, I will get back here with the reply from HR.

Thank you

From India, Pune
srivastavacmlal

Dear Anonymous Cithr Member,

Your reply in clarification of your previous post indicates that you are a confirmed employee posted on company's customer project. Since the present customer-project is going to end, therefore company has given you opportunity to work on another project, and if you do not give consent for reassigned project your job will be terminated. In this scenario I have already requested you that you should give your consent to accept new assignment as soon as you can,if not already done. Do not be pre-occupied with presumption as to why the new project will bear your cost. It is the company who has to allocate your salary and other cost to suitable heads to keep your employment alive during the period of Maternity Leave. You do not have to worry about it.

2. With respect to your view point that you have only 30 days instead of 90 days notice period, your thinking is right but you do not have to worry about it. It is the company who has to decide its course of action as to how and when you can be deployed on the new assignment as you will be on ML from September 2022. You are entitled to 26 weeks paid absence from duty (in addition to your normal leave entitlements) which the company is duty bound to allow to you and pay you the wages. So you have to apply for leave immediately in writing as I earlier suggested and get reply of HR. Next course of action will depend upon reply of HR.

3. Please note that you have to submit maternity leave application alongwith medical certificate showing your EDD.

With best wishes,
Master Consultant- Service matters, IR, Tender/Contract Management

New Delhi/Sunday/07.08.2022/9:20pm

From India, New Delhi
Anonymous
Dear Experts,

I asked HR for Maternity leave, her reply is below. Please suggest.

As per the Redeployment policy, your last working date with Company is 30th Oct 2022. Redeployment is very similar to giving the 90 days of notice period to the associates.
In between of the Redeployment, if you choose to go on Maternity leave, you can do so but the ML will get discontinued on your Last working date i.e 30th Oct 2022.
Incase, you get selected in another team via IJP, we can then help you get transferred there and request the hiring manager to await for you to complete your ML and then join back the team.
I hope i was able to clarify your doubts here.

From India, Pune
srivastavacmlal

Dear Anonymous Citehr Member,

First of all I will request you to acknowledge by validating the opinion/advice given by the Citehr Professional Experts which you think appropriately answers your query. Your validation will be a motivation for the Experts who selflessly devote time to impart professional advice to your query.

2. The reply of HR as posted by you is not compliant to relevant law i.e. MB Act 1961 and therefore there is potential for correction in the reply of HR at the higher level of management provided the terms and conditions of your appointment letter do not contain any exception clause. It is therefore important to go through you appointment letter containing T&C of service, the notice given to you by the company and the reply of HR. I would request you to mail copy of these documents for more pointed and appropriate advice. You do not have to pay any fee for this advice. Contact number and mail ID is given below.

With best wishes,
Master Consultant

New Delhi/Monday/08.08.2022/11:15pm

From India, New Delhi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.