No Tags Found!

preeti-saraswat

Hi, I am Preeti I am doing training in Textile Manufacturing Company, I saw so many problems related to Labour in this company, Supervisor will not take any risk Related to production, 50% women working in this company, there is always a problem of manpower in the company, there is always a shortage, how to solve it for a long time, a lady was working for 7 months, the supervisor took her complaint and resigned. Behavior also has a problem between Labor, Supervisor and Production Manager.
How to solve this problem for long terms. Please explain grievance policy, how to handle this problem?

From India, Noida
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Preeti,
You have written that you are doing training in a textile manufacturing company. What kind of training is this? Are you an Industrial Trainee or Management Trainee or is it that yours is regular employment, however, for the initial period, you have been designated as a trainee.
When one reads your post, it emerges that primarily there are two issues in your company. One is the manpower shortage, and the other is the lack of interpersonal skills. Nevertheless, we need to shift our focus from the problems and people to the organisation. Confirm to us what kind of productivity ratios are measured in your company? Do you measure:
a) Labour productivity for each department/section
b) Machine productivity for each department/section
c) Multifactor productivity for each department/section
d) Cost of Quality
e) Cost of Poor Quality
f) Quality-Productivity Ratio (QPR) and so on
When you measure the above ratios, these ratios will give insight on where the company stands. Thereafter, the workers needed to be involved in identifying the solutions to improve the ratios. In fact, for a few solutions, you need not even involve workers. Managers can take corrective action on their own.
As of now, you are focusing on the behaviour of the people. However, once the focus is shifted to the output that people give, the solutions will start emerging on how to improve the output. A part of the solution could be training on teamwork or interpersonal skills. However, just training the employees without measurement will never solve your problem.
Thanks,
Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
Nagarkar Vinayak L

Dear Madam,
It would have been better, had you mentioned what specific area of your training is- HR or Technical.
You have touched only the surface , symptoms of some of the problem areas and not the problems per se. In fact , the problems appear to be deep- rooted and cut across wider areas like company history and culture, policies , precedants, systems and procedures , quality of manpower, supervision and managing style, which may have have wider ramifications.
Though you made good attempt but seem to have stated stand alone symptoms missing the interrelatedness of factors causing it. As a trainee, it would be good learning if you are able to define the problem accurately by scanning the data and then approach for solutions.
At this stage, it may not be worthwhile to offer any specific comments on unconnected issues raised as it needs supporting data, analysis to size them and to find out root cause before arriving at any action plan of solutions.
You may like to work on this and revert to this forum with more meaningful , data based post.
Regards,
Vinayak Nagarkar
HR and Employee Relations Consultant

From India, Mumbai
Priya George

Hi Preethi,
I think one thing that you can do with an immediate effect is keeping a suggestion box/complaint box ,which only HR departments/Management(Whomsoever concerned asked you to find a solution to this problem) has only access to. Also you can tell labors that they can drop the message without keeping name. But always find out if the problem is real. This will eradicate the Behavioral Problem to some extent. Also keep individual target for each labor/supervisor/production manager. So that entire production becomes a team work. But fixing target and production capacity is not in your limits. This has to be done by the planning and production team, which has to be approved by Management. Also you can keep Labor attrtion rate as a part of the Production manager's/ supervisor's performance evaluation, where in he/she should be responsible for giving explanation about every month resignation. These are the immediate measures you can take to improvise the situation. Also find out innovative ways of recruitment as labor shortage in the manufacturing industry is a real problem, which is a reality,which you can not prevent 100%.You can only take measure to reduce it.
Regards,
Priya

From India, Bengaluru
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Priya George,
You have given a suggestion of the installation of the "Suggestion Box". However, have you implemented this idea and what are your observations? Have you conducted any survey on the effectiveness of the "Suggestion Box"?
I wish to put forth my following views on the installation of the "Suggestion Box":
a) The "Suggestion Box" works well provided the company's culture is well developed and many of the employees know how to give a suggestion and on what topic to give.
b) The position of the "Suggestion Box" also matters. Do you think that the workers will show interest to go HR Department and give a suggestion?
c) It is risky to install the "Suggestion Box" if there is tension amongst the departments or personnel working in the same department. The organisation culture at the company of the poster of this post is not that healthy and it could do more harm than damage.
d) What if the suggestion box is flooded with the complaints against the supervisor or the manager?
e) What if the suggestion box is flooded with anonymous complaints? What if someone just drops the abusive messages against the managers or even against the management? What if the suggestion box becomes another wall in the toilet that is covered with graffiti?
Final comments: - The problems in the company of the poster of this post are well-known and understandable. What is the point in asking the workers to give suggestions on what is so obvious? Is it not akin to a Hindi proverb, "Haath Kangan Ko Aarsi Kya?" If we start obtaining the confirmation from the workers what is so evident then what was the point in studying management in general and the HR management in particular? That does not mean that we should not take feedback from the ground-level staff or disregard the upward communication. Both are important in their own right nevertheless, one should rise and start correcting the anomaly.
Thanks,
Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
gannahope

Yes it is very nice question I think...
First l wish to make it clear nature of duties in a spinning company.. Every worker has to stand all the working hours. No bench or stool are provided by the any management anywhere whole of India or entire world.. That is first problem..
Secondly all the workers
we see generally only be women and young children.. Why ....you know ..they have tender palms hands... for getting smoothness in cotton threads coming from spindles... The woman or child worker has to use her open palm hands to smoothen cotton thread while coming product.
So all women and child workers are engaged for that purpose.
Thirdly Employing children in work is prohibitted. ..
Now reasons for trouble employment.
It is a hard work touching producing threads continuously hours together standing position.. So women employees can't continually work in such spinning mill factory..
Moreover supervisors generally see women workers as an enjoying moving dolls. So they usually tease them with sexual harassments...
So Appoint a committee on working conditions of that spinning mill. You know well even if you see cc footages if any there.
Then approach liberal outlook providing sitting facility while on duty or only employees for ever 2 to 3hours on spindle thread smoothening with bare palm hands..
Employ women supervisors much give good results..
Avoid teasing women workers by management cadres.
All the Best.

From India, Nellore
Priya George

Dear Dinesh sir,
I agree that suggestion box has it's own drawback...What I actually meant was Grievance addressal box...Else we could also suggest an email address instead of suggestion box, which would be ideal in this digital era...But the purpose is just to raise any grievance to the management or concerned authority....
But one valid point I would say is to include labor attrition rate as KPI,it will somewhat create a feasible working environment.
Over to Gannahope,I am not sure is it really the point Ms.Preeti was mentioning. I am not sure.
Regards,
Pria

From India, Bengaluru
durgesh-jha1
Ma'am,
It is a problem of human conduct, I would suggest finding loopholes in the communication hierarchy, it might be possible that the workers are either not being heard or feeling that they are not being heard.
It's although not a now to mention thing or it might already be there, but if the workers are already receiving Performance Based Incentives then we might look to deep dive into finding a solution to core, but if they are not availing any such benefit then provisions like such might be helpful for enhancing both productivity and conduct.
Thank You

From India, Mumbai
sushilchaudhary

Dear Priya San,
I think Two types of problems you are face in your organization .
1. Manpower Shortage
2. Teamwork & Interpersonal Behavior
This types of issues are available on every organization . I suggest you please start Employees Motivational activities with reward like Attendance Award, Best Employees Award, Best Productivity achiever award also start a Monthly Exchange meeting in shop floor (All Workers , Supervisor, Manager & Management ) so that whole month achievement & defects explain in front of all employees .
Plan for provide training to all employees , Team Management and Behavioral.
These are the basic concepts for avoid such kind of issues .

From India, Noida
zyn1

Hi,
Initially, you should start with collecting the data from each department and try to find out the root cause. wherein focus on all the parameters like existing policy acceptance/gap, job role understanding, training, and development, interpersonal skills, teamwork, etc. then approach for solutions.
Zyn
www.haya.co.in

From India, Surat
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.