fran-ander
I am getting a new job and according to the very STRICT policy of the company, I should notify them about marital status changes. During the interview, I have mentioned that I am married (and I wasn't asked about our relationship with husband) and while filling in their CV form I have also mentioned that I am married (as there were only three options to tick - single, married, divorced/widowed). However, my husband and I have lived separately for 10 months and he has raised the question of a divorce.

For now, I have only paper forms and the petition is not filed yet, as we are collecting the forms. My HR has warned me that there might be some troubles while being employed, as far as the Petition for a divorce is the only document that is possible to be qualified as a document that verifies the change of marital status. She gave me the advice to provide her with access to my papers so she could control the process and I could avoid unnecessary paperwork while becoming a part of their team. I wonder if it's possible to be an issue while getting employed and what are my further actions to avoid troubles?

From United States, Clifton
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Fan-Ander,

You have written that "I am getting a new job and according to the very STRICT policy of company I should notify them about marital status changes".

When you applied for the job, your marital status was "married". Therefore, this was not the misrepresentation of the facts. Everything was in order.

Now when you get the divorce, you may immediately inform your employer about the divorce. In the application, you may write that when you acquire the divorce certificate, you will submit it immediately.

However, the question remains as to why your employer is so strict about the marital status? Whatever your marital status is, it should not have bearing on your employment. Why your employer is so nosey? Making company rules strict on information about the maritak status, is this not breach of privacy? We are told that in the US the privacy laws are strict. Your post shows this was just an assumption.

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
Nagarkar Vinayak L

Dear colleague,
You had honestly conveyed your true marital status at the time of applying.
Between then and now , position may undergo change due to likely divorce proceedings which may take its sweet time in the court.
But to establish your credibility, you keep your employer posted of this possibility and assure them you would submit relevant document relating to change in marital status as and when it takes place.
Regards,
Vinayak Nagarkar
HR and Employee Relations Consultant

From India, Mumbai
KK!HR

The fact that you are on the brink of divorce cannot be an issue while getting employed and afterwards. In US laws no discrimination is permissible, not even a semblance of it.
As you have already disclosed your part of the story and HR seems to be appreciative of it, you have less worries now .
Considering the US situation, the employer being very strict on marital status is not surprising. So your disclosure of the actual reality was really needed.

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.