HRthings

We are a public limited company with IT background. We have given total 12 Festive holidays of yearly to our employees. My question is being a public limited, can we choose any 12 festive holidays every year? Kindly help!
From India, Ahmedabad
Babu Alexander

Every employee shall be allowed in each calendar year a holiday of one whole day on the 26th January, the 1st May, the 15th August and the 2nd October and five other holidays each of one whole day for such festivals as the Inspector may, in consultation with the employer and the employees, specify in respect of any industrial establishment. Apart from the 4 national holidays, you can have any number of Festival Holidays Act as approved by the Inspectorate Concerned.
From India, Madras
ommygautam

Dear As per my knowledge there are three National holidays-
01- Republic Day -26 january
02- Independence Day- 15 August
03- Gandhi jayanti- 02 October
i am unable to understand that why people count labour day as a National Holiday. for festival holiday you have to go through state rules. general there are 08 Holiday ( 05 Festival + 03 national). National hoilday menas which celebrate in national level and for festival holidays you have to provide holidays according to area, as like in north india rakshabandhan is a big festival but may be in south india its not celebrated. so you have to always think about area and the majority of workers. suppouse you hae muslim employee then you have to allow some muslim festival holidays as like EID. same for christian majority
and this is minimum requirement under the law but for maximum no limit any numbers you may provide.

From India, Rudarpur
HRthings

Thank you so much all for clearing my doubt!
From India, Ahmedabad
Nagarkar Vinayak L

Dear Colleague,
As stated , there are four compulsory national holidays which have to be followed.
Some state Shops Act have provided for additional holidays like in Maharashtra it is eight holidays. Check on this.
So number of holidays in addition to national holidays are governed by the state laws or left to the company policy.
It is not my knowledge that the holidays are decided in consultation with any Inspector . He is required to be sent a copy of the list of holidays decided by the management.
You are giving twelve festival holidays which are more than some state laws.
If you are all India organisation, you should consider regional preferences in selecting holidays at the same time keeping the number at twelve.
Regards,
Vinayak Nagarkar
HR- Consultant.

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.