vikash1017

Hi Dear
So sweet :)
I have no idea that my word may hurt you, but, Yes, i said super ego, and go through its meanings, you will find your answer as well as you can solve your problem, got the point.
And also don't jump and assumed other one its better to rectify our self.
Have nice day dude.

From India
V. Balaji

Dear,
I go with an idea of establishing written communication. Once you start doing this and keep your Manager in the loop (by marking a copy), your manager also knows that what is happening around.
At times, the new comer, due to his rich experience, may be perceived as threat to the person who is already working there. Hence he tries to behave in that fashion.
Have patience. Keep your immediate boss informed about what is happening the department. If you are going to compalin to your Manager's Manager, then your immediate boss might feel that you are by passing him, which will add one more person in your list.
Balaji

From India, Madras
meenu sharma
Hi,

As Mr. Ravi said you should always send a mail to that person for asking what you require and send a cc to the manager. If that person doesn't respond within the time frame send another reminder and again cc to the manager.

But remember the language of the mail should not be harsh as it can hurt the ego of that person and he may become defensive as the result he may not respond properly and also keep ur emotion apart while writing the mail.

Same thing when u talk to ur manager ...keep ur emotion apart.

While talking to manager u cn take a Sandwich approach.You should put forward ur concern in such a way that u may nt be considered as complaining person.

So first talk something positive about that person like like he is quite good in software or anything which u think will be appropriate

After that put forward ur concern that u r nt getting the required support from him

Finish the conversation by telling what type of support u require from manager and end it in a positive note.

Thanks & Regards

Meenu Sharma

From India, Madras
Avantika.Kumar

Hi About to be caught.
This is very common scenario in companies. After a few years of experience you tool will become "Evil". You are a fresher, I think you need to read "How to win Office politics" by Gireesh Sharma

From India, Delhi
octavious

Hello
As far as I have been able to understand, I feel that your colleague is more concerned about his security and future prospects and thats the reason he is not helping you, because if he does that and then if you become important he will not be needed in the company, may be this is what he thinks.
Firstly stop sending him message over IM, send him mails, so that you have evidence to back you. Also if you want something first send him mail, then IM and then keep calling him up every 10 or 15 minutes for updates on your request/requirement, this is one of the best way to return the favors
Or you can discuss your concerns with the person, over a cup of coffee and sought it out.
Regards
Octavious

From India, Mumbai
abedeen7

Dear All,

I was going through all the post and valuable input.

It's human tendency to resist new entrant and physiology of insecurity. It may happen he want to show his importance and create physiology pressure over the opponent from the day one show that he cannot succeed him.

This happen in every organization but degree varies:-

1. Never panic and face situation bravely if you feel for crying, do it at home not at work place.

2. Don't show your emotion or get show that you are frightened.

3. Talk to him politely and not deviate from the topic (professional) and don't react in any matter.

4. Let him to check your break even point. How extreme one could go in non cooperative and humiliation. If no reaction from our side one day he will stop doing.

5. Have patience day will come he will admire you, just wait and watch the game. These conditions will make you rock solid.

It’s my personal experience at my 1st job. Have confidence on you

If you are new in the organization you never expect support from them. Be practical and use your skills and abilities to handle situation as per requirement.

Kindly intimate us the result in the passage of time.

From India, Bhubaneswar
about_to_be_caught
Vikash, just know that the XXX in my previous post are some bad words that have been censored by the moderator. If you give me your email address I can send them to you in private. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
From India, Bangalore
Raj Kumar Hansdah

Dear "about-....."

I have gone through the thread and your clarifications to others' queries.

I could have expected such things from a fresher, who has no experience of life and work-life; but not from a person with some worthwhile experience.

You seem to be a very sensitive and emotional person .. almost ladylike; (pardon me for saying this, but I am not a male chauvinist; this is just to highlight the 'softer' aspects of human emotion); which i evident from your post and your responses.

As some have rightly pointed out; I shall reiterate and summarize the situation as below:
  • Normally, existing employees feel INSECURE and threatened when a new joinee is assigned to them in a team.
  • This feeling of insecurity gets heightened if the new joinee is more talented/qualified/experienced and/or the employee himself is not so bright.
  • It is too NAIVE to expect that people would help you WILLINGLY from Day-1 just because the boss said so.
  • It takes TIME and some positive actions/gestures to build up RAPPORT and TRUST as a Team.
  • Bad feelings about someone are contagious and the vibes is not lost upon the other person.

What you have done so far is OK as you have honestly and correctly expressed your problems.

However, you need to do more to get willing co-operation from someone who has lesser qualification and experience than you and feels threatened of his own existence in the company.

You can make a start by being LESS JUDGEMENTAL, LESS EMOTIONAL and "accepting" the other person with all his shortcomings.

Please feel free to ask, in case you need any further assistance/clarification on this.

Warm regards.

From India, Delhi
ngurjar

Interesting post.

ATBC, I agree with you. If 45 days of non-cooperation exist, it is a serious matter for the company. And the company must be concerned with this kind of a situation... All the advise given here is probably ok for the first week, but for 1.5 months, I would say it is certainly a NO NO.

The one point I am not clear is if this person is your reportee. It doesn't appear so from your post. But if he is not, you have little leverage but to wait (the safest way out)...

But on closer introspection, I think you need to build-up some more confidence. Your case is strong. But you need to see if you can 'objectively demonstrate' this situation. As the newbie with your company, you have lesser friends out there. Your boss / manager might be your best friend. I would advise you to try and spend more time with your boss and win his confidence. Understand how he thinks and how the company works. Once you feel that he understands your thought process, you might want to inform him that things are not working well and substantiate (remember, this is the most important thing) it with adequate information. This would be a safe way, but it might take you 2-3 weeks more.

My personal assessment (and I could be grossly grossly grossly grossly wrong here) is that your colleague was probably eye-ing for your job! Your recruitment came as a blow and there is, therefore, non-cooperation. Note that he might not be qualified and he might have a very false perception of his career. But, all said, the fact is that he is still there at that point. Your post doesn't indicate that you are the flashy boss, but that could be another reason where your colleague might be 'hurt' by your 'style of working'. This is less likely to result in an extreme posture though...

As an immediate step, you could talk to your manager with extreme caution and study his response. You can say that management support needs to reinforce the corporate objective and the need to respect the chain of command. See if he supports you in your cause. Tell him that you might want to have a review meeting setup every day for the next three days and every week thereafter. Afterall, its teething trouble for your colleague as well. Depending on his response, you might have indications on which way you have to go...

I used to manage 40 direct reportees in the US and we used to have a brief meeting everyday. So, that evened out any possible 'performance lapses'. Of course, not everyone was comfortable with the reviews each afternoon :-), but that was my policy.

From United States, Daphne
krishnakumar.mk
Dear
If you are senior than the said person(in jobwise), sit with him and discuss the matter politely..........your problem will solve
If u cant do the same.............something error is their in your system
Pls format it and try to use as fresh.........

From India, Bangalore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.