nashbramhall

If contributors to this thread could take a look at the request at https://www.citehr.com/317141-hi.html and contribute their ideas, it would be much appreciated. HR is not my field.
Have a nice day.
Simhan

From United Kingdom
satece

I am a MBA student and I think,if you are having a passion towards lecturer job,you can go for it.I know some faculties who dont have work experience, yet deliver excellent lectures.Having work experience will enhance your practical knowledge and also bring respect to you.My suggestion is if possible, work for some 2 years and get into faculty profile. still if you are very much passionate towards it,update yourselves with lot of day to day activities related to H.R,recent trends etc., and deliver the lecture with a lot of preparation and a superb powerpoint presentation!!!!!
From India, Coimbatore
rdsaptha
My sincere advice to you is first try joining corporate and work for some time. Simultaneously you can join colleges as a visiting faculty. By doing so, you gain both Industry experience and teaching experience. More so, in India except for handful of universities and colleges, not many colleges pay you much. It is an irony which still remains a mystery.
Sapthagiri.R.D
HOD, KIMP-Bangalore

From India, Bangalore
nashbramhall

Dear Saptagiri,
You have given very sound advice; I started in the academia as a part-time tutor in a college before becoming a full-time staff. Teaching part-time also gives an idea whether one likes the job or not.
The reason why many private colleges pay low salaries is that they are there for making money; and they have to to survive and expand. This is especially the case when they have taken on Govt quota.
Simhan

From United Kingdom
rdsaptha
Dear Simhan
Thank you for complimenting my message. Being in the education field for about 9 years, i have observed that many youngsters jump into the teaching profession thinking that it is a very easy job. And also that they have fixed working hours and can enjoy holidays. I may be a bit harsh, but this is the hard core reality. Teaching is not a cake walk as many people think. One needs to have a passion for teaching. It is a kind of job where the faculty not only imparts knowledge, but also plays a very major role in transforming students into thorough professionals in their field. Teaching is just not about preparing PPT slides and showing it. Yes the faculty needs to learn new teaching methods, but relying only on technology doesnt augur for a good faculty. Having a subject knowledge, communicating it the students in a manner they understand, instilling discipline in students are some of the important qualities of a faculty.
Regards
Sapthagiri

From India, Bangalore
nashbramhall

Your are right Saptagiri, it's a CALLING. Not everyone is cut out for teaching. If people think it has fixed hours with a long vacation, they are partly right. A teacher has to keep updating with both knowledge and technology. For example, when I started I used to write with a chalk on a blackboard and use some hand written slides using Overhead Projectors. Could give some ammonia prints as hand outs; then came the photocopiers, computers, ppt slides, printers; and now we have SMART Boards and other facilities. I used to keep in touch with my students by email; now some even demand to link up with me on Yahoo Messenger or Skype for instant chatting, etc.

In the 70s as a management student, I had not heard of Michael Porter; but in the 80s as a Master's student I encountered his works. Similarly, while attending international conferences I came across works of Noriaki Kano, and met Bill McKeachie and came across his work "McKeachie's Teaching Tips". We have to be life-long learners ourselves if we have to teach students to become one, in this fast changing world.

Have a nice day.

Simhan

From United Kingdom
cute_universe
Thankyou everybody for participating in this forum. All these tips and discussion is helping me a lot to make up my mind on why, when and how i should get into teaching profession
From India, Mumbai
cute_universe
To Simhan Can u please upload some file or document related to "Mckeachie’s Teaching Tips", as i am not getting access to it. Its not available in asia.
From India, Mumbai
nashbramhall

I am sorry; I can't copy and paste from the book. I am sure you can get a copy by wrting to www.amazon.com
Also please search the web. For example, by searching I found McKeachie teaching tips - PDF,DOC,PPT Search,Preview,Download
Have a nice day.
Simhan
QUOTE=cute_universe;1444436]To Simhan
Can u please upload some file or document related to "Mckeachie's Teaching Tips", as i am not getting access to it. Its not available in asia.[/QUOTE]

From United Kingdom
kavitha.karthikeyan
Dear ,
I am kavitha working as Employee relation and I had an experience of Conducting Training class for employee and I so passionate to join as a Faculty for Management related subject . Even completed my Mphil in Labour management but my viva and project yet to complete. So please guide me i can be a faculty in future.
Best regards
Kavitha

From India, Madras
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.