No Tags Found!

vinitasharma80
Definitely the factor involves wid men much like the females bt to have a capable employee wid u long is better than to sag her off just because she is pregnant. She can come back to work later on where in the meanwhile we can have a different candidate for the same time and there are lots of candidates available on contracts too i believe.

savitas
Its perfectly allrite to ask a married female candidate about her family extension plans.
Nobody wants to employ a candidate who will go on long leave within a year of joining.Its got nothing to do with being baised against females its a purely a fair HR practice.

raajz_johnny

Dear Richa,
Greetings!
Its not going back to old age and its not putting back all the female employee. If I recruit a unmarried candidate and if she got marriage after 6 months or a year it wont give any problem. Recruiting a female candidate with 2 or 4 months pregnant or concieve only problem bcoz intially project will allocated to a candidate for min of 6 months.
If I am wrong, suggest ur view.
Rgds,
John N

From India, Madras
richa_ferns

Hi John,
Most companies these days have a policy of recruiting lady candidates who are in their first trimester as they follow strictly the equal opportunity employer policy. My company too follows this policy and we have till date not been inconvenienced. What we do, is when we hire such a candidate, we allocate her to a project which will either finish shortly or will not be hampered if she goes on maternity.
You may want to formulate such a policy and also frame your question in such a way that it does not offend the candidate as well as at the same time get your answer. Ideally if you have a lady on the interview panel, this question can be tackled easily as women find it easier to answer to such a question posed by a woman.
Hope the above helps.

From India, Pune
priiyanka
even being a newly married girl i dont find anything unethical in asking about the family plans. it should ofcourse be asked in the interview though in a very professional language ,say
" as you are newly married it is a must to ask about your extenting your family. see once you join we wont be able to give you maternity leave before you work for us for one full year. what do you say? what are your plans"
Priyanka

adgandhi
Dear Members...
Let's not get into the typical Indian, heard & mind filled with Emotions.
Let's be practical and pragmatic... I absolutely don't think it is unethical to ask about the maternity plans of a female candidates.. or for that matter her marital plans.
If a particular profile requires stability and continous inputs, then of course, however emotional and sensitive I become, I just cannot afford to take in a female candidate who is going on a long leave in a few months after joining the organization.
Let's not get into emotions and sensitiveness of the issue...
Regards,
Ajay

From India, Chennai
namratasinha_hr

Dear all
ELIGIBILITY FOR MATERNITY BENEFIT:
A women shall be entitled to maternity benefit only if she has actually worked in an
establishment of the employer for a period of not less then eighty days in the twelve
months immediately proceeding the date of her expected delivery (section-5[2])
and in order to avoid such situation asking questions related to family planning is not unethical.
Thanks and Regards
Namrata

From India, Mumbai
numerouno

This has been a most interesting discussion and responses will reflect the social and cultural context of the respondent.

In my context (Australia) it would cause instant and very public outrage to ask a woman about her family plans as part of a selection process. 30 years ago this was accepted practice, but the introduction of equal oportunity laws have caused a quiet revolution in this area.

The general view now, and I think a reasonable one, is that women have an enormous range of skills and capacities they bring to workplaces. To benefit fully from this depth of experience, wisdom and knowledge, employers must focus on the competence of the individual with regard to the job.

Ideally, workplaces will increasingly make provision for the range of "outside work" responsibilities of both women and men and thereby better ensure that these competences are not lost to the workforce. "Flexitime" is a standard benefit for most employees, but there is now an increase in paid maternity leave, "carer's leave" and other kinds of flexibilities to allow for non-work responsibilities.

The current debate in Australia is how to better enable women to participate at senior and executive levels, because with the family responsibilities that are often associated with life outside of work, the odds are considerably stacked against women.

It is my hope that in Australia, the rhetoric about equal opportunity increasingly becomes the reality. I think we have a long way to go.

Progress Enterprise

<link outdated-removed>

Resume & Curriculum Vitae Frameworks - Building on Strength

From Australia, Ballarat
raviekant
Dear Mukti: There is no discrimination about asking such questions. Its only in the interest of both employer and employee. Regards Ravikanth
From India, Hyderabad
svsrana

This particular instance relates to infringement of "fundamental rights".

Few amongst you would be aware about Data Protection Act.

Asking about personal info like pregnancy, polictical affiliations, family obligations, any prison records, religion etc is wrong and is clearly not supported/ encouraged worldwide.

Now the second part which comes up is How to plan for the same ?

I would like to raise another contingency situation out here, how does your company handle a situation like riots in the city ? do you have a business plan which addresses and mitigates the same " the answer would be NO in majority of the companies.

what does a Manager fo most of the time ?

ans: Planning

so plan and work out various methods and alternatives for the same.

Have none of you guys heard about "home working" or tele commuting.

i personally can cite few examples wherein Heads of HR in India's top ranking corporates are females and have planned their career effectively and the compensation remains almost the same while coming for a few hours/ working from home.

Another example would be raised by "Factories Act, 1948".

does it not ask for arrangements for creche/ medical facilities even to the extent that work given preceding pregnancy should be safe.

I would advise everyone to check the attrition rate of "physically challenged" people in the workplace.

Corporates which have hired them have gained much by pure economics alone.

Last but not the least one of my esteemed collegues has made an unwarranted statement about "character of women" being lost in eventuality of hiding/ suppressing pregnancy related facts.

My answer to all my collegues who share this opinion and this gentleman in particular is "Have you not been born of a woman"

Its most shameful that people deify goddesses in all relegions while harassing womenfolk at home/work.

surya vrat

From India, Delhi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.