Adams_ku

Can any one tell me, how to set KPI and objective in performance appraisal for the next year?
Questions to answer?
How to set KPI and Objective?
During the year steps?
Performance Review?
How to run progress check?
How to receive desired result from employees?
AdaM

From China
ashishkumar
This doesn't answer your question, but I think performance appraisals shouldn't only be a one-way street, ie only a boss appraising his subordinate. It's got to go both ways....see the article on 'why your boss is programmed to be a dictator' at www.changethis.com. I think if the boss appraises the subordinate, the subordinate should also appraise his boss in terms of the bosses management of him.
I mean, if a boss is hopeless at communicating and that affects the subordinate's performance, it's not fair if the boss blames the subordinate for that failure. 360 degree is fine, but it should hit where it really hurts: a full-scale appraisal by the subordinate that affects the manager's pay-packet.

Adams_ku

Well, my friend you are right up to great extent, Performance appraisal systems mostly carry biasness in thier scaling procedure as boss does it, but now we have some different trends through which you can overcome this biasness problem and can make this evaluation process clear by setting KPI and objective for your sub-ordinate or for every person working in an organization, by mid year review or in the end of year, you can easily gauge, what he/she should get after evaluation? make sense?
My question is this ? how to set these KPI or objectives (although I know each and every single thing as I'm working under very highly schooled lady). Cheerio AdaM

From China
ashishkumar
The way I look at it is this: the subordinates work under a kind of 'management environment' that their managers provide. If the environment is bad, then how can the subordinate perform? And on top of it, the manager (who is providing the management environment) is evaluating the subordinate! It's crazy.

Shouldn't the affect of management be taken into account as far as subordinates' performance goes? Of course. Who should appraise the manager? The subordinate, because his performance is directly impacted by the manager's behaviour/leadership. If not, what's the manager there for? In fact, most organizations treat the manager's job as a policing job (check for compliance) as opposed to adding value to the subordinate. That's why most managers behave as dictators...their jobs are that of policemen, not leaders. NO wonder so many people quit jobs because of bad managers. No matter what you do or appraisal process you have, as long as subordinates aren't allowed to vote for the leaders/evaluate them, we will have terrible bosses, and therefore terrible productivity. Read the case study on NASA/shuttle disasters that's provided in the article on changethis.com, and you will know what I mean.

Adams_ku

Dear Kumar:

Let me tell you one thing, objects vary from place to place or environment to environment, but it doesn't mean you can change whole concept, what I'm trying to establish here, we south asian people; "look good, do nothing, and pin others" specially when we got power, but we don't see Performance Appraisal as a system of determining how well an individual employee has performed during a period of time. Now here's problem, if some one is performing with his heart and soul without any prior record then mostly likily, he or she will get reward which depends on the humour of his/her boss, but if you have decided each and every task to be done according to quarter by that employee, then superior can't play with sub-ordinate very easily as employee has record, what he was asked to perform or what he has done according to his manager demand/desire. Like in our case as I'm working in large conglomerate, managers have great power and they can easily play with their sub-ordinates and leave the impression of slay-monster so, to over come this problem we have made known KPI system in appraisal process through which subordinate will be assessed. KPIs carry bigger marks as compare to core/professional competencies, simultaneously we have given so many right to subordinate to produce material which can make genuine your evaulation, He or She can also challenge, If any one feels he/she is being treated unfairly, and then he can argue by showing his/her KPI result, which was set in the beggining of year? make sense now? ( but all these things depend, in which kind of environment you are working, if you are working among goofies then see this sunday newspaper, and go for some good opportunity) Cheerio AdaM

From China
Ed Llarena, Jr.

Gentlemen,

With all due respect to each one of you, what an organization needs is a Performance Managment System (PMS).

A PMS, like what my company has developed, has a Performance Planning Stage where KPIs (or Performance Factors) are discussed thoroughly at the onset of a given performance period.

But things do not end with the identification and agreement on the KPI or PF. You still need to agree on the importance and weights of each KPI. (e.g. salesman's KPI: sales quota, daily call, territory expansion, market share improvement. I have a pharma client which gave 70% weight to sales quota, and the rest equally shared the 30%). You also need to set up a credible Rating Guide. Your organization may also need to include non-quatifiable metrics (like corporate values) which are critical in the improvement of your corporate culture.

A complete PMS must not only have 1) Performance Planning. It must also have 2) Performance Review & Evaluation, 3) Performance Conference & Feedback, 4) Improvement and Development Planning, and 5) Recognition, Rewards & Sanction. These stages must be integrated and planned out very well.

If you need help in setting this up in your organization, my company can help you.

Best wishes.

Ed Llarena, Jr.

Managing Partner

Emilla Consulting

From Philippines, Parañaque
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.