PRABHAT RANJAN MOHANTY

Mr. Bannerjee,
The rate of wages is paid for 8 hours which includes rest/interval period. Therefore, the workman has to work leaving aside the rest/interval time(30/40 minutes or as case may be). Why workman would work during the rest hour? Workman is legally right to claim payment for his work done during the rest/interval hours. Many times situation compels to engage workman due to emergency & exigency during rest/ interval, to curb this type of situation many establishment have different provisions in standing orders.

From India, Mumbai
saswatabanerjee

Dear Mr. Prabhat Mohanty
Thank you for the clarification
For the first part, i think both of us had said the same thing but from different points of view
For the second part, somehow i had not considered that part.
Thanks again

From India, Mumbai
nanu1953

Question does not arise to work during "Interval of Rest ". Working 8 hrs with interval of rest of which 7.5 hrs is working hours and 0.5 hrs interval of rest but get paid for 8 hrs. Therefore, interval of rest is paid.

Duty hours 9 am to 5.30 pm - total 8.5 hrs with interval of rest but paid for 8 hrs i.e working hours. Therefore, interval of rest is not paid .

The above two examples are reality followed by the most of the factory.

The original question was working 12 hrs in a day for 6 days how much hours will be OT. Ideally the employee must get 2 half an hour rest after every 5 hrs. Therefore, total working hours will be ( 12 - 1 ) = 11 hrs of which 8 hrs is normal working hours and 3 hrs is OT. If the employee is in category where working 7.5 hrs paid for 8 hrs , there the total hours will be 11.5 hours and 8 hours will be normal working hours and 3.5 hours will be OT hours.

OT hours should be paid double the ordinary rate of wage.

Therefore, as conclusion we may say options are many, vary from factory to factory.

S K Bandyopadhyay ( Howrah, WB)

CEO-USD HR Solutions

From India, New Delhi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.