Minhaz Fathima

Sir, I would like to improve my English vocabulary
From India, Bengaluru
nathrao

Improving language. vocabulary is possible by practise and effort.
Suggest you to read various English news papers and whenever you come across a word which you cannot understand-refer an dictionary.
https://www.merriam-webster.com
This site helps you with quizzes on English, word of the day and such help which can make you get a wide vocabulary.
Speak in English with friends and become more comfortable.
Similar queries have been posted earlier in this forum.Search for such posts and various suggestions given for improvement of English.

From India, Pune
P.Senthil

Dear All,
I agreed with Mr.Jacop point, one of my English Professor Mr.Vargeesh who encouraged me while doing my UG degree when i am fear or shy to speak or write in English he told me nobody right in English & nobody wrong in English. My professor asked me to try to learn English and avoid hesitations.
Regards
P.Senthil
Manager - HR
COIMBATORE.

From India, Coimbatore
nashbramhall

Just an observation. Is it too much to expect a response from either the originator of the thread or from people who have been sent a private message?
From United Kingdom
nathrao

Dear Senthil,
I appreciate the advice of your teacher to be confident.
But always remember confidence comes from discipline and training.
Therefore when speaking English one must understand that purpose of any communication is to make other person/s aware or understand your point.
If the wordings and grammar are so incorrect, the meaning will be lost.
Being confident is alright but the in the process, do not loose sight of correct words to be used to communicate clearly.

From India, Pune
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Senthil,
This is in addition to Mr Nathrao's post that is addressed to you. You have written that "One of my English Professor Mr.Vargeesh who encouraged me while doing my UG degree when i am fear or shy to speak or write in English he told me nobody right in English & nobody wrong in English."
If you remove the line the that divides the right and wrong then the whole world will collapse. By the way, why we should restrict this theory of not having right and wrong only to English language?
What if a professor of law teaches to his students that there is nothing like legal and illegal but just live a life without hesitation? Will it be acceptable to you?
Lastly, it appears that you have taken advice of your professor seriously. Your post is nothing but manifestation of what was taught to you!
Thanks,
Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
nathrao

A free site for Grammar check
https://www.scribens.com

From India, Pune
V.Raghunathan

Several excellent views have been expressed about the importance and necessity to stick to grammar.
Grammar is to a language what bones are to human beings. They may not be charming but are responsible to hold the body in shape and firm.
V.Raghunathan
Chennai

From India
NK SUNDARAM

I have stopped correcting people a long time ago. This is not unique to CiteHR. The same applies to Linkedin which is fast becoming another Facebook version. People compromise on what is professionalism, what is grammar, what is relevant for Linkedin. I corrected somebody once, his grammar. He got wild and he questioned my locus standi. But, many a times, you have to urge to correct if the mistake is too glaring... Apostrophe while mentioning something in plural form, One of the is always followed by a singular viz. one of the friend, one of my relative etc. How long, how many people can we correct. If people study for the sake of passing the exam, this will be the result. Or, if they notice something different, they should observe, follow and correct themselves. A mistake committed repeatedly by thousands of people, gets added to Webster's dictionary in its next edition !
From India
mail8013

It's quite disheartening to see this topic being discussed for 15 days, when the originator has genuinely expressed his views and simply offered to help. I just have one question for the originator who's mentioned "Kenya" as his location. Are you going to assist in correcting our English using American Vocabulary or British Vocabulary ?
From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.