No Tags Found!

pmajgn
Dear Seniors..

Your comments are really needed on this post.. Something very bad has happened for which I was worrying about since Yesturday..

This is in relation with my yesturday's post.. ("How downsizing will effect the freshers in company").. There were around 22 views but No REply.. Possible you ppl have not found it worth replying.. But your suggestions are really needed Today.. Pls guide..

"Yesturday the managemnt of our company has terminated a bunch of freshers with Immediate effect".. Many of them were my own batch mates.. Those people were not been given any intimation even a day before termination.. Does an Ethical HR practice allow this??

In current economic conditions, termination is acceptable.. The companies are forced to do this to survive.. But is it the right way to terminate any employee?? Without giving any intimation in advance?? I am really VERY VERY disappointed with this.. How can my companies' HR has allowed this?? The worst part is that they themselves were involved in this.. Though the terminated people have been payed the Noitce Period Amount.. But Can it compensate to what disappointment they have felt ??

We HR ppl are supposed to bring Ethics & Values in Organisation Culture.. Then how can we ourselves avoid it??

Dear Seniors, Please comment.. I expect your responses atleast on this post..

From India, Indore
malikjs

dear there are some decisions which HR has to follow.one should not be emotional in this regard.leally if some one is on probation than prior intimation not required. tks j s malik
From India, Delhi
Ash Mathew

Dear PMA,

What the company did must have been painful for the freshes to accept. Infact - they must have been called for a meeting and clearly informed on the situation, tried to explain and then go ahead with the decision.

Anyways they have decided to terminate, there is no stopping, then why not be little kind to the people. It was nt the mistake of the freshers.

I have been through the same situation. But the case was - Offer letter was sent to freshers (after a huge recruitment campaign in South India). 20 students were selected to join in the month of April 2008. We had to delay their joining by eight months - and then in Nov 2008 - we called them individually and said that they will nt be hired.

The outcome - frustration and bad reputation for the Company. No College Management will respect us or trust us in future.

In this case - I believe, that some option must be provided for the freshers - i.e, either 1) Agree for a lower pay 2) or work on consulting basis and they can do a part time course that can fetch them a better opportunity in future

If the above are not feasible (i.e if the company has no projects to work on), then the a HR can provide refernce letters for the freshers stating that the student was selected, but could not join as the recession had hit the industry really bad.

There are companies hiring - so the Senior Management can provide refernces or recommendation letters to those companies.

It will be very painful for all these new joinees to accept the fact that they have been terminated. They would nt accept that fact, as they would have built so many dreams on this new job. The HR must make sure that - the freshers dont start feeling less confident and clueless... guidance can be provided on options what can be chosen.

Many HRs are facing the same situation - problem is, we have to only execute what the Management asks us to...

Company HRs are forced to be involved in it. They are helpless - its true. We can only suggest. But sometimes the response is" Do what is asked to do"

From India, Madras
pmajgn
Dear Mr. Malik & Ash..

Thanks for your comments..

I accept that HR has to act on many decisions taken by Top MAnagement.. But this is also right that something should be done for those people who are terminated.. References/ Recommendations are really a good way..

What disappointed me is that Management should have given atleast a prior intimation to them.. Anyways.. I hope that those people will face this situation well..

Thanks to both of you for your reply..

From India, Indore
A.asthana
Dear PMA,

as you know every person in this world working for money. coz its a time of recession. company dont have enough fund to provide salary to their employees so here management of the company is deciding to what to do or what to not do.

so its totaly depands on company management here their is not any mistake of your HR Department they have to just follow the instructions given by the management

ya in my concern company management should make a strong strategy for them so that any employee will not suffer

one more thing its a time of recession always executive level of an organization have to suffer coz always a fresher or executive taking time to learn then they would be able to perform and upto that time company have beard thier cost. that's why always executive level have to suffer from that.

and middle and top management can give their double efforts and can give company good business.

so please we should respect our HR Profession and always trust on management.

regards

Ankur Asthana:icon1:

From India, Delhi
pmajgn
Dear Mr. Asthana..
Thanks for yr comments.. I accept that HR ppl has to work on the direction of top management.. Companies do have their own limitations.. & due to recession, they are forced to terminate their human assets.. But as you said, their should be a proper strategy adopted for this..
Thanks for yr comments..

From India, Indore
csprakash
Hi PMA,
Yes, it is a painful task to terminate employees.
I'm sure the management (if they have a heart ) would have found it to be a painful decision as well. (would not apply to the management who do this under the disguise of recession)
However to save the organisation, and inturn to save the lives of a majority of the employees, they decide to sacrifice a few.
The employees terminated from your organisation are all freshers. Imagine a situation where a batch of experienced employees have been terminated..... they may be the sole bread winners for their families. The entire family would suffer until he gets another job....which is tough in the present market conditions.
Your management terminated only the freshers and was atleast kind enough to pay them the notice period salary, which many companies do not do in case of probationers.
As a HR person, we can only advise the management to do it ethically and attach a humanitarian angle to it.
Best Regards,
CSP

From India, Bangalore
sfchyd

Dear,
your understanding is right, but your comprehension is not. let me say more. firstly, recession is like bout after bout hitting the companies therefore, defenselessness. Secondly, cost cutting on the routines and cost prevention on the rarities is the need of the hour. Never ever we thought of reducing the costs mercilessly before in the history. Thirdly, no theory of management has ever evolved for such times, hence the management professionalism is kept aside. Even you would be compelled to do so. Many of us are mum on such issues since, we do not know where the axe falls next, may be on you next.
Francis

anshulavi

Really feeling sad for the employees terminated without prior notice.

Better course of action was to call all those employees for a meeting. Give them all facts of the situation and then asked for their views. It is always possible that may be some good suggestions came in which could have helped in avoiding the the termination process.

Separation is always sad and painful. May be reduction in pay would have been a better option and top management must have thought about it.

As HR is the custodian of all activities related to employee, HR has to do this as well. but as timing is not right considering over all senerio world wide.

Maximum, we as HR can do, to avoid frustration and negativity in the mind of young employees, can request management to, as the managment is ready to pay notice period salary, put all those employees on notice as per the terms of employment and ask all the employees to look for jobs outside and when they get any opening outside ( within notice period ) can resign.

Pawan

From India, Mumbai
innovation
Dear PMA,

I have read some of the replies to your fervent appeal to all of us to respond !

Some of us have said that we should 'trust the top management' and we have to do 'what top management says' etc.

First and foremost, we are part of the Top Management ! We are not just merely following instructions.

Next, put yourself in the position of the CEO and CFO. Would you take a different approach ? HR gets very emotional in such situations and hence finds it difficult to make tough calls.

I have a simple question for all of us .... if we have financial difficulties, would you think twice before reducing number of maids at home from say 2 to 1 ? Would you continue the services of your driver on retirement ? In most cases, not, even if the maid or driver has rendered good service to you for several years.

But as some have responded, HR must treat the unfortunate with dignity and respect. In all probabilty, you will need the services of the very same freshers in a year or so !

What everyone, not just HR, is going thru' is a turmoil where the value system is being severely tested. Even some well known corporate houses have resorted to measures they would not have deamt of, say 5 years ago. :confused:

Smile, sunny days will come back soon !

:)

Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.