No Tags Found!

gauritomar

Dear All,
I am agreed with his views , it happend with me also, I got a chance to do full time mahrm/mba-hr from uk and indian university too,due to some personal reasons could not do it , so I took up DLP course in HR . Iam facing same problems . Organisation meant to be equal oppurtunity employer but in reality scenario is different . I have mentioned it earlier too , It has becoming a serious concern that why university and institutes introduce such dlp courses in HR . People face such circumstances in their lives where they cant continue their education. India is a developing country and people are not so prosperous to coninue their higher studies and not funded by Government.
I believe Company should not be so rigid and have flexiblity in hiring a hr professional .
Regs,
Gauri

From India, Delhi
preejanair_19
I have around 1 year of exp and i am currently working...i have not yet completed my MBA but have just enroled for the same through DL...should i go for the same or drop it and look for a reguler MBA...dropping would again absorb another 3 years of mine...please guide
From India, Chandigarh
Surendra Singh

Friends
I agree that some organisations hire people with regular MBA qualifications. I, however have slightly different experience. I have have done my MBA (a three year DL programme) from a reputed institute and studied as hard as a regular student should do. About one year back I changed my job and got selected in an international NGO. After joining I came to know that most of the other candidates who competed for this position were regular MBA/PGDM. It gave me great satisfaction that part time or DL programmes are equally effective.
But now, when I make a job search for myself, I find that most of the corporates look for regular MBAs only.
It is hard to believe that why can't these organisation understand that depending on individual competencies, a candidate with part time/DL background can be even more effective than a regular MBA.
Surendra Singh

From India, New Delhi
gsrain282
Dear all,
One of my cousins is a HR Manager for Payroll. He has done his MBA thro' DLP. Actually he worked in a middle level company for 3 - 4 yrs and then moved into an MNC. So some reputed organizations hire cadidates for HR positions with good knowledge and experience no matter they have their MBA thro DLP.
But still here an issue to be noted is that these organizations hire such candidates only thro' references. So what is the case if someone is not having someone to refer them?
Kindly suggest on this!!!

From India, Madras
Cullore

Dear All,
Iam having 2 years of BPO experience and now working as HR since last 4 months.Also started to do MBA in HR from Symbiosis through Distance Learning. I feel that having a full time degree will not give you any experience in that field. And when you are doing MBA through distance learing and also working in the same field, It will give you a chance to practice what you are learning rather than only having book knowledge.
But I feel that most companies look for people who have finished their MBA from reputed institutes. I feel that companies should look at the experience and the knowledge rather than only book knowledge.

From India, Hyderabad
preejanair_19
Hi i am currently working and also have just enrolled for MBA programme through DL....should i drop and go for a regular MBA or should continue with the same..as i will have to drop another 2/3 years for regular MBA
From India, Chandigarh
harithajyothi

hai JOE !
i did MBA (HR) in full time, But i did not got a right opening in intial stages. 2 years i worked as HR faculty. and now i got job in HR market. what to do its all about time. I believe in time than experience and certificates we have.
-haritha

From India, Delhi
Nawas

It's sad but true -- a part-time MBA just does not command the same status as a full-time one in this country. A host of extremely respected institutes offer one-, two- and three-year part-time MBA diplomas and degrees. Yet, the students who opt for these courses do not emerge with the same halo as those who take up the two-year full-time post-graduate programmes.

The first cruel fact you have to accept if you're thinking of a part-time MBA is this: it is unlikely to swiftly and painlessly enhance your immediate job prospects. There is no lucrative placement offer waiting for you, like the proverbial 'pot of gold 'at the end of the rainbow. And this is true, even at the brand name institutes.

The B-schools justify the lack of placement opportunities by pointing out that those pursuing the part-time MBA already have jobs. In fact, the pre-requisite for practically all part-time MBA courses is two-three years of work experience, preferably in an executive or supervisory capacity. Part-time MBAs are thus positioned as career-enhancement programmes designed to make the participant more effective in his or her current organisation.

The truth, however, is that the individual who chooses to do the part-time MBA is essentially seeking better prospects. 'Better' may variously defined as a shift from a smaller company to a larger one, or from software to marketing. Essentially, there is a sense of stagnation in the current workplace/ job function and an MBA appears to be the 'way out'.

The candidate is hoping that with the part-time MBA he gets to have his cake� and eat it too. Instead of enrolling for a full-time course and forgoing two years of salary, (as well as shelling out at least Rs 4-5 lakhs as fees), why not do a part-time MBA? Especially when most institutes claim it is equivalent to the regular MBA in terms of coverage and curriculum. Well, the logic is impeccable but things don't quite work that way.

That's not to say a part-time programme adds no value. But do be realistic. You are never really going to be considered 'at par' with the full-time grads so don't expect investment banks or the Hindustan Levers of the world to welcome you on board because you've got FMS or JBIMS on your resume. The unstated assumption you will encounter: 'Only folks who couldn't make it to the (more competitive) full-time MBA join the part-time course.'

The 'children of a lesser God' theory may also manifest itself at alumni meets. It's a different thing that any Indian who attends even a one-month program at Harvard refers to himself as a Harvard 'graduate' on his biodata!

Personally, I think that if companies actually picked up part-timers they might find them to be more dedicated and a lot more street smart than regular MBA graduates. And be pleasantly surprised by the absence of 'we are the cat's whiskers' vibes. But, until they start taking that chance, the part-timer will have to view the MBA primarily as a stepping stone in the quest for self development. And the pursuit of knowledge.

Regards,

Nawas

From Kuwait, Kuwait
1nair.deepti

Dear Joe,

You not only get jobs if you have done part time MBA HR but also get promoted if you are really good and prove yourself. Only part you need to do is keep yourself updated with the HR practices/knowledge in the industry you are working. You may face few situation where initially you may be paid less to those who have done full time MBA from premier college at but if you really show your potential then no one can stop you from growing even if you have done MBA-Part time/DLP.I speak from experience.

All the best and do well.

Warm regards,
Deepti

From India, Delhi
Danii
I m currently pursuing a Hr (DLP) through a reouted institute in mumbai...however in interviews , i've been a victim of this bias... full time MBA's getting the post..holding no weight of water!! i think the management's must reaalise that mere paper degrees don't make a good manager... but i appreciate that people like you all r there to notice this and probably will bring about change!!!
From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.