diksha-mahna1
Hi, I need to streamline the company appraisal cycle from April to March for all the employees, however, currently, it is on a pro-rata basis.
Can anyone suggest how can I implement this in my current organization without any loss for the current employees whose appraisals are pending this year?

From India
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Diksha Mahna,

The replies to your questions are as below:

I need to streamline the company appraisal cycle from April to March for all the employees, however, currently, it is on a pro-rata basis

Reply: - When you say "appraisal cycle", do you mean to say the measurement of the work done in the past performance cycle or the salary increase of the employees? The question has been asked as it is observed that many HR professionals use the term "appraisal" for the annual salary increase. Secondly, "what is a pro-rata basis". Though the dictionary meaning is known, however, in what context the term has been used is not mentioned.

Can anyone suggest how can I implement this in my current organization without any loss for the current employees whose appraisals are pending this year?

Reply: - You have mentioned, "appraisals are pending this year". But then this year means which year? Whatever the year may be, if the appraisals are pending, then why not complete it first? Will it be fair to start activities of the performance appraisal for the new year without completing the activities of the last year?

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
KK!HR

One way is to start the PA cycle from 1st April 2021 and start the evaluation process for 2021-22 after March 2022.
It is mentioned that the last cycle has not been evaluated so complete that process, Thereafter if a part of the year is left and if at least three months are there in the part year then carry out part year appraisal. Anything less than three months can be ignored.
Another option is to complete the last cycle evaluation in full extended upto the 31st March 2021. Select the targets accordingly.
Inform all employees clearly on the change over and the consequences thereof. The latter appears to be a more workable solution.

From India, Mumbai
saswatabanerjee

I assume you mean that your current system is to review the work one year after joining and then annually thereafter. Instead you want to have a standard date on which appraisals are done.

There are a number of reasons to follow each of the above, so I hope you have take the decision of change after due considerations. In any case, most HR professionals today consider that annual appraisal is inadequate to give feedback to the employees, and it needs to be done more often. I think your problem is mostly due to the fact that you are linking salary increments to appraisals.

if you are moving to Appraisal and increments in march, then you need to inform the employees that all appraisals will be in march only. for those who have joined in April - June of the earlier years, you may do the appraisal anyway and let them know that the next appraisal will probably result in lower increment as the period will be less. For those who are impacted by a few months only, let them know they will be taken care of in the next appraisal

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.